Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updates on my 33 Plymouth PD Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Apr 18, 2016.

1. a little help with the inspiration 33 Plymouth dual quad 440 727 good luck 19429613_10209859239260202_7207789398833095115_n.jpg

2. dwollam

dwollam

Nice!

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

I have been bustin' my butt for quite awhile trying to get this '33 running in time for Bonneville Speedweek and finally realized I wasn't going to make it or at worst was going to die trying! I backed off it for awhile but am now back on it again. Trans is freshened up and installed to engine and both installed in frame. I modified an old Hurst shifter mount to fit the LaSalle and the frame, which didn't have much extra room. Clearanced around the trans mount in the X-member to insure it wasn't going to bump steel on steel. Torch and a big ball peen hammer, then dressed up with an angle grinder did the trick. Here are some pics of the engine and trans installed. I also gusseted the rear hairpin mounts to make sure they are sturdy enough. Boxed the front shock/headlight mounts as well. Clutch and brake pedals will bolt in after body is on frame. I built a new floor for the stock battery box as it was missing. Simply used some plate steel bent to fit and slid in place, nearly the same as stock. The dead 6 volt battery is just a mock up.

20190728_183252.jpg 20190728_183314.jpg 20190728_183327.jpg

Here is the opened up X member and trans mount. Stock LaSalle mount bolts there.

20190724_121501.jpg

I will be taking my '31 Model A Coupe to Bonneville this year. Here's a current pic of it.

20190715_170100.jpg

Looks like next year for the '33 Plymouth going to the Salt! I do plan on driving it before this winter though so stay tuned.

Dave

4. Nice progress. See you on the salt!

dwollam and loudbang like this.
  5. noboD

noboD

You are making good progress Dave. Sure wish I could be with you this year.

6. RDR

RDR

Dang !...Know how frustrating it is to not make an event deadline...Been there done that.
    BUT, it will be done and cruising shortly thereafter.
    Keep on keeping on Dave and enjoy the FLATS !!

7. earlymopar

earlymopar

[​IMG]

Too bad on the 33' Dave but this "A" is gorgeous and will sure will make for a fun drive. Besides, not being rushed will make the initial start-up on the 33' even more enjoyable. Thanks again for spending time with me and my wife when we stopped by in May.

- EM

AHotRod, loudbang and dwollam like this.
  8. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks Randy and will do!

You are more than welcome EarlyMopar. Bummer is, as usual, I have forgotten you name. :(

Dave

RDR and loudbang like this.
  9. dwollam

dwollam

I remembered! Greg right?

loudbang likes this.
  10. earlymopar

earlymopar

Correct!

- EM

11. Vernon2

Vernon2

Any updates Dave?

loudbang likes this.
  12. WC Durant

WC Durant

Love those valve covers!

13. WC Durant

WC Durant

Any progress on the coupe?

14. dwollam

dwollam

WC, I guess the real answer is no, not much. Not getting it done in time to take to Bonneville took away my incentive. However, the body is sitting on the frame and the whole car is inside the shop. I've done a few little things like gather up a bench seat for it and did a valve job on the '54 heads (with '54 4bbl intake). Spent a month or more sick this winter, that didn't help. Life keeps getting in the way and I keep getting older. Weather is getting better and so am I. Hope to get the thing together this year though.

I also bought a new radiator for it and did a few more little things here and there.

Thanks,
    Dave

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. Dave, thanks for the update! Hope you are feeling better.
    Can you tell me more about your new radiator? Off the shelf or custom made? I'm gonna be needing one for my sedan soon and not sure what to do.

dwollam, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. dwollam

dwollam

I finally got back to doing some work on this! Built the grill shell and radiator mounts. Hard to see what's going on but it has a Model A type crossmember and I am using a '28-9 Model A type radiator. The bolts are just poked in the holes to hold it in place. I ended up using Ford type radiator bolts with spring etc to mount it. Guess I didn't take pics after cleaned up and painted. Taking a little while to remember where I was on this one! My avatar '29 AV8 and now the '32 Ford 4dr. have got in the way. It's time, I gotta get this one done.

Dave 20200701_172141.jpg 20200701_172157.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    chryslerfan55, Stogy, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  17. dwollam

dwollam

Between lower back surgery, physical therapy, nerve root blocks and then my wife falling and breaking her arm 3 months ago, I have been getting SOME work done on the Plymouth. Got some exhaust welded up and some 4ft. straight pipes hung on it temporarily and have been hooking everything up in preparation of starting the engine after all this time! Set the distributor in correctly and set the timing close. Starter installed after cleaning and bushings greased. It cranks the engine over! That's a good sign I think. I am hoping to start it tomorrow, weather permitting. Been working on shift levers. Got 2nd and 3rd lever and rod done. Installed driveshaft. Bought and installed a longer drag link tube as 1st one was shorter than I liked. Installed a '32 Ford radiator cap to plug the hole in the grill shell. Depends on the weather if I install the new Tanks gas tank and run a line or if I just run a hose from the pump to a 5 gallon gas can.

Here are some pics from today.

Dave

20201227_132544.jpg 20201227_132608.jpg 20201227_132622.jpg 20201227_132644.jpg 20201227_132727.jpg 20201227_132738.jpg

18. When you started your build you had headers for the Hemi, but now you have manifolds. Why the switch?

loudbang, dwollam and Stogy like this.
  19. dwollam

dwollam

Good question! You pay attention! These heads are the small round exhaust ports, small intake ports and small valves. I have a set of 1954 heads with all the big stuff. The headers match the big ports and will not seal on the small ports. This was a running engine I pulled from a New Yorker. I am freshening the '54 heads and the '54 WCFB 4bbl carb and intake and will go on it down the road. When the heads and intake get changed, the headers will go on. I pulled the pan, valve covers, intake and valley pan and cleaned everything and stuck it back together. I'd like to do a cam at the same time as the bigger heads and intake too.

Dave

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Sounds like a good plan. Just in case you don't know 51 to 54 hemi cam shafts are different then the later cams. Regrinding a stock core or changing to a later cam core with a matching timing chain and sprockets are the only two options. Just something to consider before making your planned upgrades. By the way, cool coupe!

21. dwollam

dwollam

Yes @slayer , I'm aware of that but thanks.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  22. Vernon2

Vernon2

WOW cool built Just get her running put the seat in and call her DONE !!!!!!!!!

23. dwollam

dwollam

Thanks Vern! Didn't get to work on it yesterday so not running yet. Gotta go pick up a Model A bed today. It's always one thing or another!

Dave

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Vernon2

Vernon2

There's always tomorrow :)

25. Vernon2

Vernon2

Hey It's a new Year get to work> :) Is it running yet?

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. dwollam

dwollam

Went camping for 3 nights for New Years and also my grandson's 9th birthday! Wife and I plan to see if it will run tomorrow. She wants to video it.

Dave

27. Vernon2

Vernon2

Cool !!!

28. Vernon2

Vernon2

Is it running Yet?

dwollam likes this.
  29. Nothing beats camping with the grandsons, not even hot rods.

dwollam likes this.
  30. dwollam

dwollam

Except camping with the grandson AND the hot rods!

Dave

Jrs50 and Dick Stevens like this.