Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Where you live - can you drive your Rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 20, 2020.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I just stumbled onto these photographs, different extremes! :D
    upload_2020-12-23_14-8-31.png

upload_2020-12-23_14-9-1.png

Dave Mc, treb11, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12 months a year here in southern Kentucky....weather permitting, which is quite often.

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

All year here. Dodging the garbage, homelesss and syringes........

Dave Mc, Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

I live in Santa land so we have no choice.. Gas station is -18 c. about 0 f.. 11935577_836907926423739_450598162818956062_o.jpg 11908922_836907773090421_4006286222428322782_o.jpg

Joe Troilo, Baumi, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Can't do it here, this morning it was all the way down to 64 degrees. Had to wear socks AND a flannel shirt. :D

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Folks on the mainland don't realize the homes there don't even have any heaters or fireplaces (except maybe Wahiawa?) ! Happy New Year, man ;)

OahuEli likes this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

But what about that midnight sun stuff we all hear about?

8. I drive my cars year around if its possible. Also use the gasser on some iceracing during the winter. The ford i bought in July. In the middle of changing starter and motormounths on it as we speak

Attached Files:

OahuEli and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

10. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm Blessed to be able to drive mine 12 months of the year. It would suck to have to put mine in hibernation. I guess that is why I don't get much done. Too busy driven them.. Lol!

11. Ray "Racer" Brown would be proud!
    upload_2020-12-31_15-34-28.png upload_2020-12-31_15-36-1.png

Joe Troilo and Lil32 like this.
  12. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Good advice.....

OahuEli and Lil32 like this.
  13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Me too, Mick! Began and ended the year driving the '40. Drove it 347 days this year and the Nomad 237. Here's a photo by the Stray Kat Hang-Out in Dewey a couple of years ago. And this marks my 6,000th post on the HAMB!
    DSC_0065.JPG

Baumi, Lil32 and straykatkustoms like this.
  14. Micael Lundh 1961

Micael Lundh 1961

Yes the midnight sun is wery close to were we live just a couple of miles further up north and the midnight sun is in the middle of the summer and then its bright outside both day and night and the opposite in the winter when its bright for only a few hours in the middle of the day and then the sun disappear. That means that we got a lot of garage time in the winter, I took a ride whith my -61 Oldsmobile today with a little sunshine and a couple of degrees below zero in celsius. Have a good 2021 1D41F1A1-154D-46D2-B6E2-C84C04F82F92.jpeg AE2A3398-25EF-4E9F-ADC9-78FCEC03CAAE.jpeg

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Happy New Year, if you make it to San Francisco Bay Area, look me up. W

Lil32 likes this.
  16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

It’s 30F here today. Two days ago, we had freezing rain, sleet, and snow. The roads are salted heavily. My driveway has about 1/2” of ice on it, and we’re getting more freezing rain and snow today. Garage door is probably frozen shut now.

‘37 is safely stored in garage for the winter. Plates are only good for May-Nov. I did have to push it out a couple days ago to weld some broken brackets on my snowblower, but that was before the weather started.

Both dailies are frozen blocks of ice in the driveway. I don’t need to go anywhere, so haven’t worked up the gumption to start chipping my truck loose. I guess I’ll have to at some point, but not really looking forward to it.

From here to “spring”, the “road through your windshield” thread is as close as I’ll get to driving a hot rod. Post more pictures.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

guthriesmith, Lil32 and OahuEli like this.
  17. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Nope, too much snow and salt.

Lil32 likes this.
  18. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

st. louis winters are generally mild. in fact, it's supposed to get into the 50s this week (first week of january)!

Lil32 likes this.
  20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really depends here in southern Germany, we´ve had very mild winters in the past with very little snow and if just for a couple of days . Problem is the salt they are putting out whenever it´s humid and the temps drop below freezing. It always takes a couple milder and rainy days to wash the salt off the road. Roughly tthe winter beater is on duty from mid December to the end of February or early March .

guthriesmith and Lil32 like this.
  21. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

You're right, many older homes in Wahiawa have a fireplace because we're nearly 1000 feet above sea level. Still lots of Wahiawa hot rodders are swinging wrenches in any temperature, see 'em on the road all the time.

Lil32 and Special Ed like this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That is one beautiful Oldsmobile you have there! May we see more of it?

guthriesmith and Lil32 like this.
  23. RatPwrd

RatPwrd
    1. 37-38 Chevys

IMG_20191221_070927383.jpg
    Yeah, year round no problem. only reason I know this is a picture in Dec is the Christmas lights!:D
    But the summer is not as fun to drive in the 110+degree heat! Even with a good cooling system, and A/C

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

Nope. The picture was taken 12/23/2020. The morning before the grass around the car was green, we got 10.5" between the afternoon and overnight. Then today we have been getting sleet and freezing rain. The streets are pretty much ice covered, and they will be dumping a bunch of salt tomorrow morning.
    This is the spot the car has spent the last 10 winters, its parked until spring. Gene

Attached Files:

25. When I moved to Kingman,AZ I was emailing one of my buds in Montana and was telling him how great Arizona was as I said icould drive my roadster 360 days a year. Being a smart ass he ask about the other 5 days.
    My response was " I'm out of town"

bob b., guthriesmith, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We are thankful that our dad chose So Cal to end up from the time I was born. He had ties to the So Cal area where he grew up (San Pedro/Terminal Island) with all of his old school friends also choosing the area for their families. So, it was a natural to end up in Long Beach.

We lived in a trailer at first, then 3 years later a first real home in the farthest West one could go without being in Wilmington. A real home in a real neighborhood with a picket fence and large yard was wonderful compared to a small 20 ft. trailer for 3 years.

We were surprised in 1949 when a terrible storm came and we actually got snow in our yard and streets. That was a rare event. At the time, our dad had a 41 Buick fastback sedan and that car was able to take us on short and long road trips almost any time of the year. Since he grew up in So Cal, his knowledge of the area locations was outstanding and made the two brothers wonder if he wandered all over So Cal in his lifetime before us.
    upload_2021-1-9_4-47-53.png
    The trailer park and our Webster Avenue Craftsman House with the 1941 Buick Fastback Sedan.

Jnaki

Over the years the weather has always been outstanding. The So Cal location was deemed a Mediterranean climate, with short/fairly warm winters, hot summers and most of the year being a dry climate. If it wasn’t for imported water from Colorado and the Northern California water shed areas, Los Angeles and the southern coastal areas would still be dry scrub and desert climate topography. Since it has imported water, the area has blossomed over the years and makes it a perfect place to live and settle down with the families.

The great thing is the ability to drive anywhere at any time during the year. My wife and I used to go on long road trips to Northern California in any month, as well as traveling south to Baja Mexico just about anytime of the year. The climate allowed us to do those cool road trips. Sure, there were some winter storms that bring big waves and plenty of rain/snow. But, for most of the time, it was mild weather. That is what drew a ton of people out West to live in the booming 40s to the 70s.

Here is a sample of modern digital photography taken in various months when my wife and I were out and about doing normal things. (Before the pandemic restrictions) While the rest of the country was singing… “the weather outside is frightful,” we were enjoying sunny weather for our local road trips along the coastlines.
    upload_2021-1-9_4-52-12.png

121920 So Cal cruising

Today, Coastal So Cal is supposed to be 67-70 degrees and T-Shirt weather in the direct sun. (in the middle of Winter) Time to get out those hot rods for a "gas tank fill" run or go to the bank. The people that live in So Cal have a nice climate to adjust their comings and goings when the pandemic is not around. The mild weather allows more time outdoors... The ocean influences the weather versus a more inland climate.

So, there are more outdoor activities and nice views for road trips, short or long distances.

David Gersic likes this.
  27. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

A15CDE70-8623-460B-A372-DDC679FF18D0.png yeah. we had some snow two years ago. thank goodness it doesn’t happen often.

Lil32 and guthriesmith like this.
  28. This was January 5th...driving with the top down. However, there was snow on the ground a couple days before. It snowed on New Year’s Day enough that I didn’t get any old cars out until the yard dried up enough I could get out of the shop.

03284081-D7DC-4F5A-A55A-5D6A029FDDFD.jpeg

29. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Lil32, David Gersic and guthriesmith like this.
  30. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

20210107-915A3784-Edit-4.jpg

Well, typically no but the last week has been great weather in SE Pennsylvania. So filled er up and
    down the road I went.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021