Register now to get rid of these ads!

self contained AC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Landwehr, Jul 27, 2006.

1. on the VA problem post I asked about stand alone ac units + it was suggested that VA made a under dash unit that still requires a compressor ,not what i want, but I remember units like that in the 50's -60's .a quick search turned up few oldies online,anyone still making these or the like ? the first unit appears to require a compressor and 6 volts. kinda old timey though

Attached Files:

2. jaybee

jaybee

I believe you'll find that those units are stand alone in that they don't work in conjunction with the heater, but they still require an engine-driven compressor and evaporator in front of the radiator.

3. yah thats pretty much what i am finding although the first has its evap + condensor integrated,it still requires a seperate compressor , oh well, no air then -she'll just have to deal w it or stay home ,stay home ? Yah thats it, she can STAY HOME,LOL

4. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I found this in the trunk of my Falcon... it's from Sears Roebuck and Company, "model number" 970.772 19105.

[​IMG]

Don't know a thing about it, just that maybe I'll see about hooking it up. There was an A/C pump in the trunk with it. Not sure what else I need to make it go other then some brackets and a belt?

Anybody know anything about them?

5. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Here's a picture of the back. It's a bit dirty from sitting in there for who knows how long. The guy I got the car from said it had an aftermarcket A/C, but didn't know anything about it. He never did anything with the car.

[​IMG]

6. dt50chev

dt50chev

If the unit really is self contained, where does the heat from the condenser go? Does it just blow right into the car too? In order to get cool, you have to give off heat somewhere, traditionally through the condenser in front of the radiator.

7. Blair

Blair
    from xx

Thats just an evaporator and blower motor. You will need a condensor and compressor to make it work, as well as the plumbing etc. The round thing on the right with a flare fitting on it is a expansion valve. So what you have is half of an air conditioner.

While most of what I know is from industrial refrigeration/air conditioning and not automotive, I would think that all under dash units would still require a engine mounted compressor and condensor. the condensor is how the unit moves the heat so it cannot be in the same space as the evaporator or your air conditioner will not work.

Also, at only 6/12V the current draw on a compressor is going to be very high, and would not work well in a car. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that it would be stupid to try.

Look at it this way:

A typical car A/C is about a Ton (I think). 1 Ton = 12,000 BTU/Hr = 1 HP

1 HP= 750 Watts (about)

With a power factor of 1

1 Watt = 1 Volt x 1 Amp

so 750 Watt/6 Volts = 125 Amps

That is why it is dumb. Its like trying to run your starter all the time.

8. Blair

Blair
    from xx

You beat me to it.

9. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

Thanks for the input, it did have a compressor in the trunk with it, not sure if it works though. It weights a TON, I can tell you that much!! I don't have a pic of it, it's still in the car. I asked my friend what it was and he said it went with the A/C unit.

Now, I know NOTHING about A/C, but an condenser looks like a radiator? There is what looks like a little radiator in the dash unit, behind the vents. Or is that the evaporator?

If I don't get the thing to work, no harm done, I just though it was kinda cool. It'd probably bog the poor motor down though? I've got a 170 to go in it. Still slow, but a step up from the 144!:D

10. I found this in the trunk of my Falcon... it's from Sears Roebuck and Company, "model number" 970.772 19105.

[​IMG]

Don't know a thing about it, just that maybe I'll see about hooking it up. There was an A/C pump in the trunk with it. Not sure what else I need to make it go other then some brackets and a belt?

I have Sears brand one as well I have had it for more years than I would like to admit. It is self contained also but needs a pump and condenser but is in nice shape. Here's a shot of it . Been thinking about selling it lately, dont have a project to put it in.

CBB

Anybody know anything about them?[/quote]

Attached Files:

11. jaybee

jaybee

The thing in the dash unit that looks like a radiator is the evaporator. The fan blows air over the evaporator and heat is removed from the air by boiling the refrigerant that is flowing through the evaporator (thus the name). After that the gaseous refrigerant flows to the thing that looks like a radiator that sits in front of your engine radiator. That's the condenser. As air flows over the condenser it removes heat from the refrigerant, which once again becomes liquid. That's why they call it the condenser. Something has to pump refrigerant around inside those lines, so you have a compressor.

12. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

OK, thanks. I don't know anything about them, good explanation. Sorry if it was a stupid question :( , but you don't learn if you don't ask :D !

So I guess I would need a condenser to hook it up. At least I know more about them, thanks guys!

13. I've added freon, but never serviced an auto AC unit or installed one ,so this is all good info I'm gonna just live w the heat , does'nt seem like much sense to me to reduce engine drag w elec fuel pump,roller rockers, roller timing set and roller lifter's only to bog a engine back down again w an AC compressor ,all of which i have done, i'm even bummin that it has pwr steering.

14. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

You'll also find that the Vintage Air units are more light weight, smaller and MUCH more efficient than the older, under dash units, like the Mark IV unit I had in a 62 Dodge. You'll be a lot cooler with VA and won't lose leg room.

15. hoof

hoof

IS this what you were looking for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Take a look at modern radial compressors. Seiko Seiki and Sankyo are two brands that come to mind. They use about 4-5 hp, which is a LOT less power than the old compressors. Plus, they are small, roughly the size of a nerf football. If you paint it black, and mount it low on the motor, it will practically dissappear.

Vintage Air sells these for about $200 last time I looked, but you may be able to find them cheaper as they are mounted in tons of new cars. I've seen them in BMW's Toyota's, Honda's.......

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

If keeping the lady happy is the trick,you could make one like this thing or just buy one maybe,stand along tell it's out of ice anyway,then add more:eek:
    http://www.kooleraire.com/

The Bat
    Miami

18. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

This shit just cracks me up... :D Thanks!

19. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I believe the toyota prius hybrids use an electric a/c compressor, but I dont know what voltage they use... could be what they use on the electric drive system

20. brandon

brandon

supposedly....jegs coughlin jr. (yeah that guy....pro stock driver) has a small home unit and generator in his et car.....early nova wagon ....mounted in the rear under the floor with some ducting to get it to the front....a friend of mine was telling me about it.....

brandon