Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stopping surface rust in storage

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by spillaneswillys, Dec 13, 2020.

1. mutant55

mutant55

I’m with Flathead Dave, use Gibbs, I put that shit on everything! It’s just part of my process now, clean something, put Gibbs on it. Blast something, put Gibbs on it. Fresh machine work, put Gibbs on it... it’s not cheap, but it’s the best way to go.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like there are several options. I may be better off just renting a storage unit until I can make room.

clem and Moriarity like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, ordered two cans. To be honest I'd like to spray my old motorcycle with it and wash it off after winter. It's inside but the shed gets damp.

4. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

So what is the process of removing Gibs oil when you are getting ready to epoxy everything? Do you just clean it with wax and grease remover and shoot over it?

5. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can't get indoor cover anywhere and outside is therefore the only option I'd suggest an outdoor car bubble. Will cost you probably upto $1,000 but the car will be safe and dry. Needs an electric hookup. Being bare metal I'd belt and braces with a dose of Gibbs. Gibbs works great when under cover but it doesn't last when exposed to the elements. I wouldn't rely on Gibbs and a tarp though. But Gibbs and one of those tent garages could be viable.

Chris

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can get those portable garage tents cheap, I used one for painting this summer, got it new for $130. Put a tarp on the ground under the car. It would be much better than a tarp directly on the vehicle. You’d still need to use something like Gibbs on the bare metal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 and Maicobreako like this.
  7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Good question. No reason to remove it. You just paint over it.
    You can apply sealer and primer over it.
    But you can use a degreaser if you want.

Mopar Tony likes this.
  8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The enemy of all kinds of metal is the air and what's in it!
    I think a good oil might work and I have even used wheel bearing grease on engine parts and that worked very well.

I have used wheel bearing grease on weather vanes and all kinds of outdoor copper and brass lights for years and it coats them and keeps the air off them.

I have pinstriping brushes that are over 20 years old and work like a charm because the only time they exposed to air is when I am using them. I keep them in a plastic container of mineral spirits and I lay the brushes down flat and make sure they are under the mineral spirits.

Air and everything in it kills tools and brushes!

Jimbo

9. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Epoxy primer. Why cover your bare metal.in oil. As a painter, I'm leery of oiling metal that you are planning on painting. WD is a nightmare for painters, I can't believe that was suggested.

Moriarity and rusty valley like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

yup, never ever get wd 40 near anything you want to paint

11. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

Two component Epoxy Primer, without question. You can always sand it off later. But it can sit covered in epoxy for a decade and not rust. Use Axalta 2540S, or if you don’t care about zinc and chromate (the really good corrosion resistant, but nasty chemicals) use Corlar 825S in Axalta’s Commercial line....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 and Moriarity like this.
  12. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something that no one else has suggested. Boeshield T-9 Rust and Corrosion Inhibitor. Used widely in the aircraft industry to protect mothballed airplanes. It is a wax but there is NO SILICONE in it. I use it in my unheated shop on all my woodworking tools with machined cast iron surfaces. Use it on all my hand tools. No rust anywhere. Did I mention that it's really good stuff?

13. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

Fair enough, thank you for your reply. To me it is odd to have a oil you can spray over lol. I plan on epoxy primer my bare steel before I ever start body work so I wanted to check first.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Flathead Dave likes this.
  14. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

I’ve had a few patch panels arrive that have been coated in WD40/ CRC and it’s an absolutely bitch to get off and paint. Soaking it in metho is the only way I’ve found, however still not perfect.

15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Gibbs spray. I used it on bare steel, cleaned it with Prep-all. Sprayed 2K epoxy over it no issues.
    Personally I would spray epoxy if it’s gonna be outside, Gibbs is great stuff but outside under a tarp, I’d prime it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Spraymax makes a 2K epoxy primer in a spray can, good stuff, no special equipment. My 2cts

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. AmishMike

AmishMike

I am also in Pennsylvania. Mix of good advice here. Get it as far off the ground as far as you can & tarp underneath prevent dampness. Cover the metal with something mentioned above. Build wood frame over car before tarp. Stake tarp out away from car so air can circulate under & over car otherwise u trap moisture on metal. Tough to prevent surface rust in Pa. Good luck

18. birdman1

birdman1

Self etching primer,

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Epoxy prime it or youll be in pain either way

20. indyjps

indyjps

I just prime everything.
    If I worked hard to get rid of the rust, and get it stripped. I want it bathed in epoxy as soon as possible. Even if I need to take some off for metal work, or spot prime metalwork (brushing properly mixed epoxy on weld seams works just fine)

The "bare metal in-process build" didnt exist a few years ago, internet and TV shows seems to have boosted its popularity. Not criticizing anyone, just seems like a lot of extra work.

Any corrosion from leaving metal unprotected, or any product that would effect metal to primer adhesion is a no-go for me.