Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1934 Chevy Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spoonman34, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

Anyone know the difference between the '34 and '35 Standard Sedan Deliveries Is there any info. or literature out there for them??

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. I just loaded a 34 Standard Sedan on the trailer today to send it to paint. It's been a Very Long term project. I never found any info anywhere that I could count on. My advice is if you don't already own it stay away from it. These things are nothing but an Wooden Apple Box with Tin actually nailed on the outside of it. I was a Fool for taking it on and I can't believe I'm actually out from under it. It actually pushed me over the edge into full Retirement. Do yourself a favor,,, RUN!

3. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I never try to get into a funny situation on this forum, and will attempt to stay that way.
    I have a '35 standard delivery, (real steel one) that I mechanically built for a friend in the early '80's. He sent it on to pro body work, then pro interior. It got new main rails and some other pieces. Still has original door wood. No sags, no problems. I purchased it from him as he was approaching 90 years old, and has decided driving anything is not his best choice of getting around, and hadn't actually driven the delivery for close to 20 years.
    When I was a child my first hot rod was a '34 Chevy 5 window master. There's not much differences between the two that I could put my finger on. Different suspension in the front, and on the master it had stainless strips on the hood vents. The '34 also has a seperate gas tank cover, where a '35 std. has a one piece body, no seperate panel. They're really nice cars, but yes. the wood can be a real pain in the ass, if it's bad.

TFoch, VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Is the cowl vent the only way to distinguish year; 34 is rectangular and opens to the rear, 35 is chevron and opens to the front? Ozzie built Holden bodied cars featured bolt on tail pans unlike later North American cousins.

loudbang and 6inarow like this.

5. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

If the cowl vent is the big difference I must have a 34 because mine opens up from the back. Yes I know about all the wood I own 4 other 33-35 chevys. I just picked this delivery up and can't find much on them.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '35 Standard opens from the rear. I had a '35 Standard tudor sedan, and it also opened from the rear. If you want any detailed pictures of the delivery, let me know.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can take pictures of whatever you like.

Attached Files:

8. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

Yep that looks like mine.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They Are Great Looking Deliveries.. 116697608_4730006697013335_6203043118022830216_n.jpg

11. modified1927

modified1927

You have to either embrace the wood or replace it with steel, I rebuilt a lot of the wood in the doors on this the Jams were ok... Now imagine doing it on a Holden in the middle of California. Trial and error on everything and very little was factory original it had been worked before mv pickup 002.JPG interior.jpg mv pickup 001.JPG mv pickup 003.JPG

12. clem

clem

Why the difference in overall body length between the one pictured in 9 and the one in post 10 ?
    Has the one in post 9 been shortened perhaps, or are they different makes of car ?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Stogy, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Buddy had 2 of those, a long one and a short one... offered him $400 for the short one...
    wanted to graft on a '33 ford car cowl and doors... he said no... probably saved me a ton of stre$$ ...

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  14. Spoonman34 In post #9 you show a photo of the body I assume your starting with. Then Lou Wells post up a photo in #10 of a Stock Delivery. Is it just my eyes fooling me or does the Body you posted have a longer door and shorter Quarter panel than the Vehicle shown in Lou Wells photo. I'm specifically noticing it in the Quarters knowing that with the Vent Window missing in your photo it could be a little misleading. I just found that quite interesting.

15. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

Yes mine has a shorter back quarter like the one in #8 as far as I know the Standards which mine is are shorter in the rear quarters and longer door and the Masters have a longer rear quarter. At least that's what I can tell from all the pics I've seen.

Stogy, modified1927 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. Something I learned that seems to hold true is the Standard rear fender are a full wrap fender going clear to the inner fender house with bolts going horozontal into the inner wall. The Master fender stops short just above the Tire tread and bolts vertical into the Wheel house. I was also told the Standard dash does not have a Glove Box, just the Master. Then I find what appears to be a bone stock unrestored Standard with a Glove Box.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

Yes all it true but as for the Master dash in the Standard I don't know

18. verde742

verde742

I THOUGHT I found one in the woods, years ago

With all the wood rotted out....
    turned out it was a large metal sign with a few wrinkles...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    warhorseracing likes this.
  19. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

That would be cool.

20. primed34

primed34

Master dash has a glove box and will fit in a standard.

21. I'll agree a Glove Box is good but weather a Master dash will mount right in a Standard I don't know. In fact I doubt it. I can say I seen it in person myself. The people that owned the car thought it came Factory that way but had been told by others it wasn't. He said there were no sighs it had ever been modified. I've been told I'm a pretty good metal man and often finish my metal surgery out on both sides. I think I could graph a Glove Box Door in a dash that you would swear came Factory. These people had owned the car 10 years at that time. It looked to be unrestored. Who Knows? I did take the Uggley off these 34 Fenders. The finish work isn't done yet, but close.
    20200626_201439.jpg

22. Spoonman34; Are you starting with a pretty much complete Vehicle?

23. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

No I have the body, doors (ALL 3) , hood, rear fenders and frame . I have an extra master dash so I'll see if it fits.
    I'm looking for front fenders running boards and grille plus door garnish mouldins for 41" doors

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Tell me, talking about grill and fenders. Do you mean Master or Standard? Garnish moldings are Tough at best, I ended up buying Master and adjusting them to fit. Even at that I found them one at a time. I also ended up building Smooth running boards. ​

25. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

I am looking for Standard parts. Yes I understand about making Garnish moldings I've done that on my other cars. They are all Masters so I have no saved parts.

26. I passed this over to a friend last year and he ended up getting it really cheap.

" 12 ba 12 ... ba should be 1932.
    But the second 12 makes it December built.. and the original title I have in hand stated the car was sold in 5 of 1933.. plus .. the hood and dash are 33.."

Screenshot_20200803-214904_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200803-214842_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200803-214940_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200803-214738_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20200803-214807_Facebook.jpg

TFoch, 41 coupe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. uncle buck

uncle buck

The long quarter panel one is a master. I had a really rough body about 20-30 years ago - minus the rear door and wood . Figured I would never find a rear door and the wood...... no thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

clem likes this.
  28. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Company in North Carolina makes new running boards for 35

29. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Yes, a master dash will bolt right into a standard. DSC05390.JPG

TFoch, loudbang, akoutlaw and 3 others like this.
  30. Spoonman34

Spoonman34

What is the height of a 34 Standard grill shell?