Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter AFB Pontiac 389 w/ 700r4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Stumpf, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

Gents,
    i've done 2 days of googling...even talked to carbking on the phone...but cannot get an answer. I have a 1963 pontiac 389 w/ 4bbl intake and 1963 Carter AFB 3300SA mated to a 91ish 700r4 and am trying to get the cabling right..as i have read it is critical. i can find a bracket that looks like it would work for TV and throttle cable but i havent been able to determine what if any "adapter" would fit my throttle arm linkage to put the TV cable in the right position...any experience? thoughts? IMG_20201213_154559641_HDR.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

You need to get the measurement from the original carb/throttle body, from the pivot point to where the transmission cable connects to it. Then make a lever to pull the cable the same distance from the pivot point on your carb. Then it will work like it did in the original car.

wvenfield likes this.
  3. Dennis J Frye

Dennis J Frye

I have a 200 4r that is the same type of hook up. It's an edelbrock carb. Let me know if you need any more pictures. Good luck 20201231_025403.jpeg Image.jpeg Image%20(1).jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic and fordflambe like this.
  4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Unfortunately with Pontiac unlike Chevy it usually is not "what can I buy". It's what do I have to make. The info seems to be above.

31hotrodguy and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

700R4-2.jpg
    You'll need to fabricate a one-off bracket for throttle and TV cables to maintain OEM geometry

Attached Files:

7. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

Thank u all for.replies...seems like I'd be better served with a new carb

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

No truer words were ever written on this web site..

control arm johnny joint.jpg Idler Arm modification 2 014.jpg off set bushiongs.jpg SPRING SPACERS 001.jpg suspension.jpg 64 just painted.jpg

9. Buckster

Buckster

You do not need to get another carburetor. Layout the dimensions of your existing throttle arm on a piece of paper & then incorporate the data shown above. That will show you what you need to do to your throttle arm. It might need a new piece TIG welded to get the swept arc radius that is required.

10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

11. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

well, to hell w/ the carter afb...all four screws on the throttle plate snapped off and will require drilling out. going on the shelf. edelbrock or holley recommends? kinda like the single fuel inlet...

12. carbking

carbking

I still cannot help you attach the transmission, will leave that to others.

As far as a carburetor, assuming your engine is basically stock; there is no other carburetor that will run your Pontiac engine better than the 3300s that you have. And unless your carburetor tuning skills are exceptionally good, none will run as well! If you are REALLY into Holleys, you may obtain the same performance with a 40 percent decrease in fuel economy. No comment on the imitation you mentioned.

The throttle screws are peened on the reverse side to prevent them from coming out. All is not lost. Not too difficult to drill them out and replace. They are a 6 x 32 thread. After you get them out, install new ones with a drop of BLUE Loctite on each. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PEEN THEM!

To get the old screws out:

You need:

(1) a variable speed drill
    (2) a number 48 drill bit
    (3) a number 42 drill bit
    (4) a centering device (I use a Dremel with a burr)

Process:

(1) using the centering device, center a starting hole in the TOP of each screw (where the head of the screw used to be)
    (2) using the variable speed drill and the 48 bit, drill a pilot hole through each screw from the top
    (3) DELIBERATELY DULL THE NUMBER 42 DRILL!
    (4) using the variable speed drill and the dulled 42 bit into each pilot hole in turn, and then try to gouge the bit into the remains of the screw.
    (5) the drill should now spin the screw out from the top to the back side, leaving the threads in the shaft.

New screws are 6 x 32 x 5/16 inch. The originals were brass fillister head, but I would suggest steel.

OR

The 3300s is NOT a rare carburetor. Should be able to find another reasonable inexpensively.

Patience is your friend.

The next time you need to remove the throttle plates from a carburetor, file the protruding end flush with the shaft, rotate 90 degrees, and again file flush with the shaft.

Jon.

13. Rob Stumpf

Rob Stumpf

thank you carb king, but the carter is trashed.
    disassembly did not go well

14. carbking

carbking

I see you are located in Fort Collins, Colorado, which is about 5000 feet above sea level.

One of the benefits of using the original Carter AFB is that Carter offered metering rods in different stages for use with different altitudes.

Standard calibration - sea level to 4000 feet
    One size lean - 4001 feet to 6000 feet
    Two size lean - 6001 feet to 7000 feet

For your elevation, the carb should have 1 size lean rods installed. You can acquire the standard rods, store them in the glove box, and should you drive the car down below maybe 3500 feet, switch to the correct rod. The procedure is quite simple. And while I don't recommend it, to prove a point to a customer, I once changed a set on my shop truck while the engine was running. All that is required is a screwdriver. No gaskets, nothing other than the screwdriver.

Like I posted earlier, should be quite easy and inexpensive to find another 3300s, and use your original as a "parts carb". And no, I don't have one; I used to sell them for enthusiasts wanting dual quads on 389/421 Pontiacs, and with a rod and jet change, they work great!

Jon.

15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The early 66 down Pontiac 389 engine is one of the best running engines that I ever owned.. There so easy to work on and really haul with a good tune up..

The best bet is to avoid the temptation to over cam the 389 or install a bunch of drag race parts designed to make Chevy motors to run well at the track..

Get the tune up kit that The Carburetor Shop sells. It comes with excellent parts and gaskets that can stand up to the modern gasoline.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    carbking likes this.
  16. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

Bowtieoverdrives.com might be able to help you out. At least good information on how important the transmission adjustment is.