Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why do so many ‘32 fords run ‘40 rims?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 65standard, Dec 28, 2020.

1. I was wondering why so many guys use 1940 smooth rims on their 32 fords? I’m personally using ‘35 wires on mine because of the 16” rim and they are just easier to find, yet still use the original ‘32 V8 caps

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Because 40's steelies rule.

They could handle more power, bumps, and they were the new thing.

3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Because back in the day when they went to the wrecking yard to get ‘40 Ford juice brakes, they got the wheels to go with the new parts

4. alchemy

alchemy

You're using 35 wires because they're easier to find than 40 steelies? I can't believe that. I've got steelies coming out of my ears, but not a whole lot of good 16" wires.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I would imagine in the late 40's and 50's wire wheels were seen as old-fashioned and solids looked more modern, so a lot of cars got them, and recent builds are replicating what was done in that time period.

But a lot of cars got the 16" 35 Ford wire wheel upgrade back in the day, and they're still fairly popular. Hard to find a good straight clean set anymore though. I've got a bunch, I grab them whenever I see them cheap, never know how many you'll need to come up with a set of 4 that spin straight.

31hotrodguy, ClarkH, clem and 3 others like this.
  6. fortynut

fortynut

With wire wheels the weight is suspended from the top of the rim (literally hanging from the spokes); with steel rims the weight rides on the lower portion of the rim. (I know it takes some thinking about to come around and see the beauty of it.) Perhaps there was in the past one of those 'collective unconscious' decisions made by those who decided on these things, that it might be safer not to trust rusty spokes and spoke holes over a solid disc of steel. Other ideas and opinions may vary accordingly.

7. clem

clem

that was confusing enough for me to follow,....imagine how the rim feels, - all that alternating from tension to compression with every revolution..........

anyway, just to touch on the OP question, I have a set of each for my ‘32........so I am of no help to you.......

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    55zephyr likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The other thing that is a catalyst for whether or not to run wires is the Era/Period your building your Hotrod to and the Hamb period covers them all...and perhaps more prefer the post war Hotrod look to the older prewar preference...its a beautiful thing...period correct in either rocks...

And the discussion of strength is well warranted...not so much for street but race and land speed is where you might prefer a solid or military style rims...

I look forward to strength discussion...

9. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Because They Are Bitchin And Easier To Clean The Salt Off... 22852175_1709289022416195_7566275768331828691_n.jpg hin ..

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'40s are narrower than '41 to '48 car or similar ford trucks...

continentaljohn and Stogy like this.
  11. I like the 40 Ford steelies and the bent spoke Kelsey 16" wires and have used both in the past, both work great on a '32 almost like they were made for the car and they are both traditional. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. rusty valley

rusty valley

i drive on gravel roads a lot. wire wheels look nice, but they are more work to keep clean, and more work to paint. steel wheels work just fine, and a wide variety of hub caps to choose from

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Memory says there were quite a few street racers / early drag cars that ran wire fronts and reversed Buick [wider] rimmed rears...

Stogy likes this.
  14. clem

clem

Wire wheels tend to say vintage car, - steel wheels seem to say hot rod.........
    (see post 11 for verification).......sorry HRP, :(

continentaljohn, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  15. I'm running 16" 40 rims on my 36 Ford 3w.. Lincoln brakes.. I kick my self in the ass for selling the OG black paint/ pin stripe mint set I had.. found another set of 4 and snapped them up for my white wall tires.. good ones are getting harder to find..

Stogy likes this.
  16. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

Sideshot Saturday.jpg

Hmm........... I don't know...

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

18. Exhibit A, B & C!! Nice look, that's why.

Stogy likes this.
  19. I like both 16" wires and 40 rims. 40 rims on my former coupe! Rare 3-1/2" v8-60's on front. SC21.jpg
    KH bent spokes on my Roadster!
    IMG_6783.JPG

31hotrodguy, roen132 and Stogy like this.
  20. doubleduece

doubleduece

I like both, but it really comes down to the car and the look your going for as to which looks better.

clem likes this.
  21. Mr Last Minute

Mr Last Minute

I picked up a set of 40’s to run on my 29 Tudor just because I liked them. Some good responses in here on the history though.

Stogy likes this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never thought of that...brilliant

Stogy likes this.
  23. dudley32

dudley32

Because they ran '40 brakes...

24. Wheels, damn it, wheels! The rim is the outer edge of the WHEEL!

Rant over.

Ben

25. adam401

adam401

Ive run both on different cars but I prefer steel wheels with juice brakes. It just makes sense to me in the timeline of modifications. Both look cool though.
    Ive got a 34 not a 32 so take this with a grain of salt. I run 41 zephyr/continental wheels on the rear which I believe are the widest at 16x5. I run 16x4 ford steelies up front. Thats cool guy shit pal.

26. Romanceofcrime

Romanceofcrime

You could never go wrong with some Steelies on anything in my opinion!

Attached Files:

27. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From looking at period photos, many young rodders were lucky to have 2 matching wheels, let alone 4. :)

I think wire wheels are cool, but they're old-fashioned, and seem to be more reflective of a high schooler's hopped up jalopy. For more serious applications like road racing and hard driving steelies are undoubtedly stronger and better. It depends on the style you're after, and I think the memory of street-strip cars dominates the scene, so steelies are a popular look.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  28. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Steelies all the way. Chassis for my sport coupe.
    IMG_8283.jpg

Jim Bouchard, 30tudor and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. Wires are a project of their own, they don't balance very well, they get out of round and out of true centers to outer rim. I took them off my "T" speedster, went with steel solids and baby moons and it drove like a brand new car, spokes are jokes in my opinion. As I said they are their own project, look good don't drive so hot.

joel likes this.
  30. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The Tardel/bishop book “How to Build a Hotrod” give a little bit of history on when and why rodders switched over. The Don Montgomery books are a good resource as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app