Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rattle can blues

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by topher5150, Dec 22, 2020.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I know kustoms and sleds tend to have higher end paint jobs but given my budget and taste for doing things a little different I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a nice matte blue in a rattle can?

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alumslot

alumslot

Most car paint stores can put any paint in rattle cans. Just pick your color and have them put it in a spray can.

Jim

3. squirrel

squirrel

I have no problem making gloss spray can paint look like matte... :)

flynbrian48, joel, alanp561 and 14 others like this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I do this. It's very convenient. A little pricey but worth every cent.

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Flat black is available practically everywhere. Blue, not so much.

6. How about Majic Implement paint with paint flattener?

Tractor Supply or any Farm/Ag store should be able to get it.
    upload_2020-12-22_12-12-44.png

gsnort, Woogeroo and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  7. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

You will spend more money spray painting a whole car than you will with a gun. Buy the $20 special harbor freight gun, summit has a very affordable house brand urethane paint in many colors. For $200 or less you could do a quickie driveway paint job that would look better than a spray bomb job.

8. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you might try the "hot rod" magazine archives (or mebbe "car craft"). i remember a piece about painting an early ford falcon that way--didn't look all that bad!

Deuces likes this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

Look at Walmart for Rustoleum 2X paint.... lots of blue satin to choose from. I use that stuff on my model cars a lot and they have the best price on the stuff.

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

ive used the cheap gallon paint and its a good deal but takes forever and a day to dry . rattle cans are made to dry super fast . very handy . steel wool makes matte outa anything .

11. Paint and touch up kit.[​IMG][​IMG] 142.jpg

12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

With most, "spray bombs" hard to lay down material and on subsequent coats a pain to wet her down.
    As mentioned above a cheap spraygun and a compressor that can drive is much better.
    Or sponge mini rollers can work okay on matte finishes too.
    Good luck

Budget36 likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I think I’d brush it or roll it on before using cans, there’s been quite a few threads on the subject.
    The OP may not have the compressor/ ect to paint with.

Edit:
    I got Ninja’ed on my reply!

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  14. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yes there is plenty on Moparts.com, thread "paint job on a budget". It involves doing multiple coats with Alkyd enamels and a sponge mini roller.
    For primers and matte finished rolling g with 4 inch mini rollers would work pretty well.
    On paint best be an enamel based product 1k, 2k urethanes not what you want for rolling.
    You could roll on 1 to 2 coats, wetsand and recoat. Alkyd enamels dry slow and level out nicely. Heck you could go panel by panel if you choose....

Budget36 and Deuces like this.
  15. fortynut

fortynut

I once did my 'Mad Max' GMC (off topic) pickup entirely with Krylon flat black, camper shell and all. It was all I had to work with. I took my time. It was still on when I dismantled it. Maybe not to everyone's taste but it was a patchwork of colors before because of the replacement doors and fenders. I liked it and that was all that mattered, which should be the same for anyone caught in a bind who works with what they have toward making it look like something more than a piece of junk. My theory is not meant to be a 'one size fits all' deal because everyone's limited resources are not the same. At the time I was living in a Barrio in LA and wanted something menacing. It turned to be just that because I had a theme.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I was thinking Harbor Freight special too with a carport. My biggest concern would be that I'll probably do it in sections, do a couple of fenders one weekend, the hood the next etc...and i'll make it look weird because i didn't mix it right or something lol 9f76141f2958f3a39cd5ff08bf96f825.jpg

17. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Electric gun. [​IMG]

topher5150 likes this.
  18. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I used matte Krylon 2X "French Blue" to redo my firewall.

20190717_175523.jpg

Acceptable? Certainly. Covered nicely and looks well enough.

Would I do the whole car with it? No.
    Personally I'd save up for a halfway decent compressor and a modest gun and put the elbow grease in that way.

$0.02

topher5150 likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

A primary requirement is that can has a flat fan nozzle. Look for SEM automotive paint on summitracing.com & others - SEM has many options - just one possibilty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. ...this paint job cost me $11.00...($8.00 quart of Walmart house paint and a $3.00 brush),...I scuffed it down in certain areas.
    55 pickup good 005.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  21. Painted a boat awhile back , bought paint and primer from the marine shop .urethane paint and epoxy primer . Recommended using a foam roller to apply, very hard to tell it wasn't sprayed .

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

about 10 years a go I sprayed a f100 with Rustoleum Satin Black with a $35 home depot gun and $75 worth of paint and supply's
    left it in the sun for years ...
    if its a driver .. dont be afraid of using Tractor Supply Oil base .... but remember ... it will need to be stripped to bare metal to paint it with anything else

23. Used some alkyd equipment enamel with the hardener for about $50 a gallon, it’s around $35ish without the hardener.
    Cheaper than rattle can by the ounce of actual paint.
    A lot more color choices.

24. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I painted the coupe in my avatar, the blue was brushed on oil base paint, and the white was Rustoleum spray bomb white. Both had a lot of shine when the paint was new. The white cost more, and didn't last nearly as long as the blue.
    The 2nd time I painted it, both the blue and the white were oil based paint, and I sprayed both with a cheap HF gun. The shine lasted longer after being sprayed. The oil based paint (without the hardener) was good for 3-4 years before it looks really old. At roughly $50 for the paint supplies, it was a good deal. When it was time to repaint, I also had body work to do, most of the oil based paint was gone after the body work. Did a color change then too.
    The last time, it was painted with acrylic enamel, sprayed on by my buddy, the paint, required hardener & reducer, at my buddy's cost was $285, a quart of each color. Gene

Attached Files:

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

www.paintforcars.com

Cheap enamel, and if you want it flat or matte, they have a clear for that.

topher5150 likes this.
  26. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I have found that the velour roller is best.This is an enamel roll on. Oh ya. MerryXmas and Happy New Year to all! small pic truck.JPG

Tickety Boo likes this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Any industrial enamel (valspar, rustoleum etc) with enamel flattener added shot thru a harbor freight gun will be such a better finish than rattle can. Add some valspar hardener, $7, will increase the durability.

You can go completely old school and flatten your paint with cornstarch. Cornstarch needs to be dissolved totally in some water. Ive not tried this, but 1 part cornstarch to 16-20 parts paint is the mix ratio Ive heard.
    Screenshot_20201229-193636_Chrome.jpg

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  28. Mike

Mike

I painted all of these machines in my backyard with Rustoleum gloss spraycans. I've had the best results with Rustoleum. The gloss comes out more of a semi gloss on big surfaces like this. I've found that flat spraycan paint is much more prone to the tiger stripe effect on large surfaces, so I use gloss. Also, you'll need to use a good amount of paint to get good coverage. Figure on 20 or more cans for a full sized car.

I wouldn't call them nice paint jobs ( I refer to them as crappy, back yard spray jobs), but they all look much better that they did before i painted them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  29. Mike

Mike

A $20 Harbor Freight gun is useless if you do not have a compressor big enough to run it.

30. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

topher5150 likes this.