Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The HUNS Car Club - Lynwood Ca (circa 1952)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theloosecannon707, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Hi Everyone,

Let me get it out there right off the bat; I'm on a humanitarian mission here. Looking for history, photos, past members, etc. on the HUNS Car Club from Lynwood Ca.

So now that I've got the facts out of the way, lets start with the story.

My grandfather is a salty old army vet. Gruff with mustache yellowed from camel cigarette residue accumulated over some 84 years of smoking, assuming he started at age 1 and hasn't stopped. He has a cat that hides under his bed and hisses...all day, for fun I assume.

Enough about the cat. Grandpa Garry, grew up in Lynwood in the 50's, and fell naturally into hot rodding at a young age. He was involved with the social events, dances, car club functions etc. He had a 1948 Olds, that he said he could run on alcohol and pin your head to the back window. He told me when I was younger he started hanging around with clubs and got involved with The Huns CC from Lynwood where he had gone to school.

Right out of school he joined the army, and was involved in a car accident where a couple GI's on a weekend pass coming back from a bar, wasted, plowed into him and his girlfriends car (my now grandma).

Things were never the same for either of them after that. They both had head injuries in a time that that sort of thing was kind of shrugged off. His life changed and things were hard for them both for quite a while, and he lost track of a lot of old friends, and even family. He moved to Glenndale and raised his family as best he could, until things got worse and was dropped out of everyone's life for decades.

I met him when I was 19, and we started from there. Our bond has always been old cars and stories; and oh man does he have stories. (apparently after the Glendale move he became a bail bondsmen and his one account were the Hells Angels.)

Back on track - He wants to see what I can help him find with regards to his old club and the old guys. Some names thrown around between his shot memory and the interwebs are:

President Paul Sima
    Member Art Senior
    Member John Cannon
    Member Ray McDermott

Online I've found tid-bits here and there about school dances and the club being police approved, etc. As far as images I've found some of the guys old plaques, and a screenshot photo from a Mobile movie in the 50's featuring his club as a competitor in a fuel economy safety run.... and that's about it.

My goal is someone on here has a friend or relative or maybe some old photos lying around I can bring to him and let him remember those better times. I know its a long shot, but I'm giving it a go. Obviously best case scenario is to connect him with an old timer that was in the club when he was and he can reconnect. Next best thing would be to maybe get some good photos, that I could make copies of for him. He would be glad to know the HUNS are out there somewhere other then just his memories.

Thanks all.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Kreepea_1, Elcohaulic and 6 others like this.
  2. It is a great thing that you are trying to do for your grandfather. We grandfathers should all be so fortunate.

Stogy and theloosecannon707 like this.
  3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

To the top. . . . Find the Huns

4. Ross Ruiz has documented SoCal car clubs on his Instagram page...@46to64

5. Thank you, this seems like a great lead; I sent him a DM; let’s see if he gets back to me.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

No no, tell us more!
    :p

Baumi and Stogy like this.
  7. Well at first, the cat would wait until he fell asleep then open cupboard doors and slam them. So he started getting kid locks... that’s when the screaming started...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, alanp561 and Beanscoot like this.
  8. modagger

modagger

Loose

Loved the story! Sorry I can’t help but good luck in your quest.

9. Thank you, I appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  10. Hello. I lost my father, Vole Gorham, about 5 years ago at the age of 82. He was from Lynwood, graduated LHS in 1953. He played baseball and basketball for LHS, met my mother there too. They were married 63 years at the time of his death. She still lives in their home in Downey where they moved to from Lynwood in 1974. I too graduated from LHS in 1974. My dad was a member of the HUNS. He is in the photo posted on this page. I have another photo of the same group, probably taken the same day I will try to attach it. The back of my photo has the names of all the young men in the photo, if you would like me to share. I also have my dad’s HUNS metal sign like the red one also pictured on this page. My dad had it hanging in his garage until his death. I also have his Downey Sinner metal sign which he also was a member at some time.

Also, I wanted to share with you that you mention Art Senior as a member. He was my grandfather. He married my grandmother who at that time divorced and a mother of six children. My mother was her fourth child and 13 years old when her mother married Art Senior. He was a Lynwood motorcycle cop who kept the likes of young men, like my dad, in line at the time. I will try posting Art’s picture. We lost my grandmother and ‘Papa’ as we referred to Art as, the only grandfather I had. So glad I found this page as it keeps us closer to our past.

Attached Files:

elgringo71, flyin-t, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you IM theloosecannon707? He might not see this otherwise.

12. No. I don’t think I know how to IM?

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s okay, I did it for you. I just let him know that you had responded to his post. I don’t know if he’ll get a notification or not, he hasn’t been on the forum since the end of June.

Stogy likes this.
  14. Thanks, El Caballo! I appreciate that!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What a great picture!

upload_2023-10-24_17-40-23.jpeg

Young men spent a lot of money on hair products back then.

51 mercules, Stogy, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  16. I sent you a message....Click on the letter icon on the upper right....

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had hair, so did I! ;)

Stogy likes this.
  18. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Dang, I got some brylcream at the house. I'll try and use it tonight.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lurker mick and 51 mercules like this.
  20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve been looking for Brylcreem for a long time. It used to be sold at Kroger but I haven’t seen it in a long damn time.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also on "Argle socks"

Stogy likes this.
  22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never heard of the "Huns" Neat story tho! Old car club CLUTCHERS PLAQUE from 1956.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And not a blond haired surfer boy to be seen:cool:

Stogy likes this.
  24. roadwarrior84

roadwarrior84
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aiken, SC

Last I saw it was years ago. I think at Walmart but I used to see it at drug stores too.

25. HOLY SMOKES THIS IS AMAZING! Just the kind of breakthrough I was hoping for! I would love to see as many old photos as you may have, and would love to chat sometime.

Stogy likes this.
  26. Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget us we like pics and and stories too...:)

alanp561 likes this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Argyle, dammit. Argyle ;).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
    SS327 and Stogy like this.
  29. Can you name the guys in the photo? Is that your Dad on the right in the long sleeve shirt?
    upload_2023-10-25_17-2-2.jpeg

LOST ANGEL, alanp561 and Stogy like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
    elgringo71, 302GMC and Kreepea_1 like this.