Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Happy Speedway Customer!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 29, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I got a big order of stuff today for the '29 roadster, along with all the shiny stuff was a '32 style brake pedal kit, and a fruit jar type master cylinder. I opened everything up, and was going to mock up the brake pedal and master, and I couldn't find the pushrod and yoke for the pedal assembly. I went through all the boxes, little plastic bags of stuff, no parts. There was a bag of mounting hardware, but not the pushrod.
    So I called Speedway customer service and explained what was missing. The pushrod and it's heim joint attachment bit are on the way, no charge, no shipping, including an exhaust flange for the Hemi engine I thought I'd ordered two for, but only really ordered one.
    They've always done right for me.
    7C290387-72D8-4605-96FF-6917B18F90AF.jpeg

Deuces, Lil32, fauj and 23 others like this.
  2. 5window

5window

Quality product at a good price, but Service is the name of the game.

Deuces, Lil32, Packrat and 3 others like this.
  3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I've been a Speedway customer since 1975, and they've always done right by me. Just on the phone with customer service this afternoon when I realized a part was missing from an order from back in October. No problem, they're fixing it.

Deuces, dana barlow, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  4. Speedway has always been good to me for many years. Nice looking parts there Brian.:)

Deuces, dana barlow and flynbrian48 like this.

5. Is this the same Speedway that this forum constantly bitches about selling cheap Chinese shit?:confused:
    That said, they've treated me right for better than 40 yrs.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Technically doing right would be to have all the parts included to start with but yeah, I can't really complain about their service either.

Deuces likes this.
  7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

In their defense, the "kits" are assembled prior to shipping, made up of individual parts boxed up together. I altered the usual by opting for a fruit jar M/C instead of the disk/drum dual chamber M/C, so I threw whoever was packing this a curve ball.

Deuces likes this.
  8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

People love to complain. I've never had an issue with anything purchased from them, and I've bought a LOT of stuff over the past couple of years.

9. toptenmoe

toptenmoe

Their shipping charge is too high!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Ive been using their site a lot lately, some of the most reliable sources as I dig thru the parts list I need. Have actual part dimensions who woulda thought...

flynbrian48 likes this.
  11. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

I like speedway

mad mikey and flynbrian48 like this.
  12. chargin03

chargin03

No problem here.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  13. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

Watch in your rear view mirror for Chinese parts falling off.

14. chopo

chopo

Not if you spend $99. . Anyway shipping ain’t cheap nowhere., And they are speedy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. I also have dealt with Speedway and a "kit" was missing a part or two. They did send the missing stuff ASAP but what is up with kits missing some parts?
    Anyway Speedway is so much better than Mac's. Someone said a couple of posts ago the Speedway's shipping was high, not compared to Mac's. Mac's shipping time ( if you ever get the item) is way longer and costs more.
    Mark me down a a happy Speedway customer also.

Deuces, Baumi and mad mikey like this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Shipping too high! They should be paying ME! :p

17. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with Speedway as well. I ordered a hi torque mini starter for the flathead from them. It showed up at my door with the box crushed and the drive end of the starter sticking out. When I opened the box I saw the starter casing was split with a large crack from being dropped on it's end. If I recall correctly I called them Mon. AM, sent them some pictures of the damaged starter and the box, and by Tues. before noon time a new starter was on my doorstep! I have bought a fair amount of stuff from them and they do have good customer service.

Deuces, loudbang, 5window and 2 others like this.
  18. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

So here is my speedway good news story..............

I purchased a set of Offenhauser heads from Speedway at the NSRA National when they were in Oklahoma. And then took 20 years to put them on my engine :(

When we finally fired it up, one of the heads was porous and leaked like a sieve (note the issues that caused the poor casting got sorted long ago). Long story short I contacted Speedway and sent them some pics - they contacted Offenhauser who offered to replace the head if I paid for the freight.

After 20 years I certainly didn't expect that and consider both companies to be exceptional.

Note: I am somewhat anal and still had the receipt to show I was the original purchaser. When I contacted Speedway I asked if I might be able to buy just one head (usually you have to buy a pair) but they and Offenhauser exceeded my expectations and are my go to companies if I need parts.

mad mikey, clem, Deuces and 11 others like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Anyone, individual or business, can make a mistake or have an unintentional failure. But there are only two kinds, those that have and those that will.

What ‘separates the men from the boys’ is how the correction is handled.
    That tells you a lot more than a ‘no failure to date’ experience.

Ray

mad mikey, Deuces, fauj and 2 others like this.
  20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My experience with Speedway has always been good and at times they have been too good to me. The problems only came about because of my ineptitude:( I'll not describe that, my ego suffered enough already. The only time I had an issue was with header bolts that weren't threaded correctly.....not sure what happened there but at the time I didn't realize that the headers came with header bolts and I had ordered bolts. I contacted customer service about the problem and the rep noticed that I had purchased bolts and he said, "how about I just credit your account for the cost of the bolts?" you bet!!
    Shipping costs? I've sold some of my excess "stuff" and I now understand the "high" cost of shipping. Shipping ain't cheap and we can't expect the seller to absorb that cost, and it's not hard to spend $100 at Speedway:)
    Speedway will continue to get my business!!

mad mikey, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

People always gripe about shipping costs, but hey, shippers are in it to make a living, not give free service! I don't care who it is, USPS, UPS, FedEx or other carrier, trucks, fuel and labor aren't free! Being in the trucking industry over 35 years, I can tell you the profit margins on freight are somewhere in the 4-5% range, if you are lucky. Shipping discounts can cut into that margin pretty quick, and can't always be made up with volume of shipments. I get tired of hearing people complain about the cost of shipping an item cross country without knowing what it actually cost the carrier to move that item. Off my soap box now.....

I've used Speedway for lots of stuff for my car. Their kits save a lot of time trying to source each item from different locations and then having to hunt that one piece you forgot you needed. I agree , paying $10 to ship a $3 part sucks, but when you have a larger order it can save you money in the long run. And the quality of their parts has been as good as anything that I've gotten elsewhere, let's face it, totally made in USA stuff is hard if not impossible to find anymore. It is what it is, you pay yo money and take yo chances....

22. It's all Chinese. Ordered all AC Delco ball joints for my 57, made in China right on the box. Get used to it if you haven't already. As far as speedway goes, i couldn't be happier with everything I've bought from them over the years. And free shipping on orders over $100 makes it awesome. Not a big fan of the new speedway design, looks like a sketchers logo. Bring back the old stickers lmao

23. I have had very good luck with Speedway, if there is a problem they fix it and that is all I can expect! As far as Mac's they were bought by the company starts with an "E" who seems to be buying up everything car related. They bought up a company that was here in Oregon that specialized in classic Ford parts, moved it to the east coast and doubled the price and tripled the shipping charges. Not a fan of the big "E".

mad mikey, Deuces and 46international like this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@BamaMav ...... ‘re $10 to ship a $3 part. It could just as easily be a $100,000 diamond as anything else in the same size package. The costs you rightly point out are just the same to move it cross country.

A shame we don’t teach enough about ‘Critical Thinking’ in this Country.......many would think that title means looking for reasons to complain. No lessons needed for that....it seems to come naturally.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  25. Callmaker

Callmaker

Why is it always the Chinese fault? If a US company is having their stuff made in China and they make it to the US company specs, shouldn't we blame the US company for poor QC ??

26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I usually pay no shipping by making purchases over a set minimum to get their free shipping. Also I don't need stuff over night, so standard shipping is free.

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Anyone can claim anything. What is your basis for saying so? Just that you don’t like to pay for shipping? Have you really thought about all the wages, time and material that goes into picking, packing, long distance and local trucking?

When you have done your home work, get back to us on that.

Ray

28. This statement should be amended to "Watch your rearview mirror for Chinese parts falling off per request of a US company's imposed quality restrictions."
    If the Chinese are only capable of shitty quality/building practices, why is everybody concerned about their nuclear capabilities?

mad mikey, Deuces, Baumi and 4 others like this.
  29. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

When I built my 56 Corvette Landspeed racer several years ago, I ordered and received
    hundreds of parts from Speedway. Never ONE back order. I had a problem with one part
    and It was quickly resolved. One of the best vendors that I have ever purchased from.
    Dave

mad mikey, Deuces, HotRod33 and 2 others like this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good service. The main gripe I have with them is that they continually seem to start out selling someone else's well made product and then turn around and make their copy of the same thing and sell the copy for far less than what the original item sells for and often you have to buy additional pieces from them to make their copy work where the original was a complete setup.

I'd say that the real thing that bugs me is the guys all over the net that constantly throw out Speedway as being the only source you can buy parts for hot rods or old cars for. Even when Speedway doesn't list the part they are suggesting but they assume that it can be bought from them. I ran into that in another group this week. the OP thought that he had to go to Speedway to get a flexplate for a 327 that he was putting in his rig. A couple of us suggested that he check locally and even gave him some parts numbers and he ended up buying one from the parts house he deals with in Canada with no extra fees and no shipping.

mad mikey, Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.