Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brookville 1932 Ford Roadster body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Dec 29, 2020.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Have You note that brookville 1932 ford roadster body weldings are now a day more or less junk?
    I was note that now a days weldings are not same quality than their sheetmetal parts.
    I send them email with 20picture --> no any reaction. They do not care.
    If new body price is + $10.000 and weldings are shit, I wonder how much good welded body will cost....

I can repair all those manufacturer bad installations and shit weldings, no problem,.. but that is not easy for everybody who buy new brookville body.

Few pic increased here. (Panel between cabin and trunk lid, A pillars,..). Im just start to open all.
    Aulis
    stoker-132.jpg stoker-133.jpg stoker-134.jpg stoker-135.jpg stoker-137.jpg stoker-138.jpg stoker-139.jpg stoker-140.jpg stoker-141.jpg stoker-142.jpg stoker-143.jpg stoker-147.jpg stoker-148.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Both sides backside of door I those were not welded, sheetmetals were not cut right dimensions. I was drilled many holes and weld sheetmetals together (I do not have point welder). Missing small pieces, not welded, not fitted....

I can say that these bodies were earlier good welded and finished, now quality is something else.

I hope they read this, they do not need to answer my email.

Of course can leave all and paint body, but I´m rather sure that many weldings are not hold ----> new paint break,....

Aulis
    stoker-127.jpg stoker-128.jpg stoker-129.jpg stoker-149.jpg stoker-150.jpg stoker-151.jpg stoker-152.jpg

shortypu and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Did you buy that directly from Brookeville ?
    It has the look of someone with no idea how these went together trying to make stuff fit then tacking it back as close as possible to re-sell [skill level].
    a piece it together guy will have no problems with it but a new to the hobby guy may freak...
    watching you patch their boogars may end up being some great how-tos for guys that have similar damage... plenty of pix please.
    go auliz go !

nunattax likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I bought my last couple roadster bodies from Swanwaco and did not have booger welds, but that was a few years ago. I am thinking this body was not assembled by Brookville?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    big duece, da34guy and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Probably just like everywhere else.... Quantity NOT quality.

6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I have to wonder if there isn't more to this than what appears to be the story. There are a lot of rusted panels, and the rust on some of them seems to be much worse than on others.........almost as if the panels were stored somewhere before being assembled. If you start at the top and scroll down to the 11th picture......a rectangular hole with a panel behind it that is completely rusty. The panel in front has minimal rust, and the weld holding them together has no rust. Look at the picture of the floor pan. Same story, one is rusted and the other one is very clean. I have to wonder if this isn't a case of someone buying the individual panels and letting them sit till they rusted and then welding them together. I don't see how if they got welded together at the factory, the rear panel could get that rusty and the front panel didn't ........

da34guy, COCONUTS, clem and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have not seen welds as shown on any bodies I have worked on. I will check some when I see them next week.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

That body looks to have been around a while and dicked with, was the sale from brookville ? Surely you realized that on first inspection.

lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  9. That's what i was thinking. Or, maybe it went out once in pieces to a previous purchaser, & he saw a youtube video on how to weld, & decided he was going to be a custom car builder.

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

It may be made up of seconds or unfinished panels...
    a roadster panel without the "bracing" doesn't have the top cockpit edge roll over to the interior, it is just a flat horizontal strip... it was $200 less than the finished panel...'35-'37 truck rockers have a similar shape, i was going to use a pair of those...
    there was a rod shop that used to sell the unfinished panels.... maybe some one bought a stack of those
    and tried to do it themselves ?
    it is in good hands now...

11. Why didn't you buy the 1932 Ford roadster body built in Sweden ? They seem to have a good reputation. Plus you could save on the shipping.

12. A Boner

A Boner

To me it looks like some amateur tried to assemble that body...definitely not assembled by Brookville! I’m not even sure any/all of the panels are Brookville. Good luck!

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I kind of doubt that that body was assembled by Brookville. Too much of a reputation to endanger. As others have said that it was probably bought in pieces and then "welded" up. And no, I didn't weld it up but sometimes my welds look similar. LOL. Whomever did it must have specialized in "authentic patina" builds.

However, in your hands that will turn out great no doubt. You do incredible work and my previous offer of room and board in exchange for your skill still stands if you are ever in the Vancouver area!

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think some of the model A and T Brookville doors are made in New Zealand?
    I ordered a couple of doors and had to do some damage control on them. I didn't mind doing it but I shouldn't have had to.
    I had to cut in a few holes for the hinges that weren't there and had to "reshape" the slots and panel for the door latches to fit properly.
    But Brookville bent over backwards for me to get the orders out.

48fordnut likes this.
  15. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Yep, someone got a welder for Christmas !!!

VR&C.

16. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

That body was not assembled by Brookville. There is no way in the world Kenny would let a body go out the door with welds on it like that. The 1932 roadster body I have has perfect fit and finish and has Brookville's own red primer on it. The body you have has rusty panels gorilla welded together; something Brookville would never do, and there is no evidence anywhere of their red primer. All assembled bodies from Brookville have that red primer on them.
    As others have said this body looks to have been assembled elsewhere. I love your posts Auliz, and I have been following along on all of your builds. You are one very talented guy. Good luck with this body and all the best to you in the new year.

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

QuickchangeV8 Brookville quit priming most of their roadster bodies several years ago unless requested. They now offer a wrapping procedure that includes a tarp and shrink wrap to protect the body. I've had quite a few 32 bodies and they've all been bare metal

Stogy, shortypu and Pewsplace like this.
  18. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Thanks Krylon. Good to know. I've had my body for several years now and it had primer on it when I purchased it.

Stogy and sloppy jalopies like this.
  19. So-Tex

So-Tex

No way that body was assembled by Brookville. I picked one up from Kenny 3 months ago and the workmanship and welds were top notch as is with every Brookville body I have seen. Again, no way that body was assembled by Brookville.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  20. clem

clem

bathcollector likes this.
  21. Looks like someone pieced that one together other than Brookville.
    Never seen one like that.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  22. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

According to a previous post he made a few months ago he bought the rolling '32 roadster project(?) from Stokers Hot Rods in Upland,CA.Maybe they were brokering the car for someone since they consign cars.

micksmith, 5window, clem and 2 others like this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Now that i think of it, Brookeville bodies are assembled on jigs...
    they would have the alignment holes if Brookeville put it together...
    buddy has a B's '28 rdstr.... he called them... they were great... sent him some hand drawn tips that really helped....
    he said it takes his crew 1 week to assemble with the jigs...
    got to be a lot tougher at home...

24. GeeRam

GeeRam

Yeah, I saw just a few weeks ago during a visit to a guy that brings in a lot of Brookville bits, a couple of Brookville roadster bodies that had been shipped to the UK this summer, and neither looked like that one...!!

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Don't think so. When I picked up my first door from Brookville, at So-Cal in Pomona, Dave told me they were made overseas in that A/O.
    Of course, I could have got it confused but he did say "overseas".
    I'm going to double check with Brookville.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  26. clem

clem

^^^ what does A/O mean ?

Beanscoot likes this.
  27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I've been a Brookville dealer for 25+ years and to my knowledge none of their stamped sheet metal is made OS. I could be wrong and that may have changed?

clem likes this.
  28. zgears

zgears

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  29. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that you guys are right about someone putting together a complete body from just the sheet metal parts, maybe even seconds, and then to sell it off. I cannot believe that anyone would spend that amount of money for one of these body's, new or used. I know toolmaking, dies, and jigs cost much but really this effort is in the deep end of the pool. Maybe Mr. Aulr paid basement price for this item. But at the end of the day, this will be repaired by him or someone else.

tombstone likes this.
  30. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

You know that brookville was not the only company to make the 32 roadster. I thought brookville had a smooth surface with no opening for the wood to slid into on the deck lid area. Also I believe as well it was piece together from parts.
    It’s in good hand now and those issues will be fixed and looks better In every post.

Pewsplace likes this.