Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ´34 Ford HotRod, pg. 9 the mouse motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baumi, May 6, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you'll be Hotrodding soon...I'd say your a wee bit excited and rightfully so...it looks fantastic @Baumi.

The visit...please pm me once all falls into place...I look forward to the visit...I am just getting the Ole Hotrod groomed for the season of fun...I think we are officially in the good weather stretch of the year...

brady1929, ls1yj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear the weather is getting warm over there. I heard from my uncle that you guys had a long and cold winter. We had sun and climbing temps over here since early April and almost no rain since then, and my uncle Rudy said he still had ice on the lakes in early April. I´ll shoot you a message when we are in the Kingston area. There are a couple cruise nights too. Friday nights at Canadian Tire if I remeber correctly.

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some Hambers in Kingston as well. It would be cool to meet some others...I got the Ole Hotrod on the road today...yippee...couple of minor issues to iron out but it seems pretty happy to be running again...it all sounds great @Baumi

brady1929, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I was building a 52 suburban for my girlfriend for the last 2 years , so the 34 was on the back burner... Today I dusted it of , got rid of the stale gas in the float bowls, did a nice burnout through my neighborhood and took her to my paint shop buddy to take care of a few mishaps I made during assembly... I have to admit I kind of lost interest in the 34 and was thinking about selling it. It sure was fun to rebuild and I had a blast driving it to the paint shop today, but I´m not sure if I should keep it... we´ll see.
    Ford5.jpeg Ford3.jpeg Ford12.jpeg

Outback, Stogy, Shadow Creek and 3 others like this.
  5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS: I already got a posi pumpkin for the 55 Chevy rearend... kind of embarrassing to leave only one black line, hahahaha

6. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I´m just writing the new to do list. We need a roof insert, door and interior panels, the Mac´s neoprene rear main seal in the 312 leaks like a champ and I have replaced it twice already, door side glass, done.... TÜV wants fenders, but I don´t like them, at all. I need to figure something out...

7. What we always used to call a "Peg Leg" when I was a teenager! Get that POSI in there! LOL

SS327, Baumi, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  8. We called them a one wheeler peeler around here.

Baumi and Stogy like this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Baumi, as to the rear main seal, I'm unfamiliar with the "Mac's neoprene" version. Last Y-Block I had that far apart was likely more than 50 years ago. Please elaborate.

10. touring20

touring20

Love the color you chose for the 34 sedan !!!
    The car is definitely in good hands !

Outback and Baumi like this.
  11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a neoprene rear seal kit for my 312 Y Block from Mac's that is supposed to seal better than the stock rope seal- The neoprene seal fits quite sloppy, I thought it was not sitting tight enough. Of course it leaked. So I bought another one as I was thinking there may have been something wrong with the first one and you guessed it: It leaks again. Maybe there are neoprene style seals that actually seal better than the rope style, but I not in my case, hahaha

Stogy likes this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you! The color was not an easy decision for me, but I´m very happy with it now!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That´s a good one! I will use this in the future!
    Peg Leg is good too! Yes, I will!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Great to see it out & about! Thanks for the update! A great looking hot rod!

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for fixing ! That´s a few weeks agot at my buddy´s paint shop, he had to fix a few mishaps I made during assembly:D the car is back home now and he did a great job.My friend Martin´s 53 Buick is parked behind the fence.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  16. mgermca

mgermca

Hi Baumi,
    Just found your thread and have read through it in its entirety. Great job on resurrecting this 34!

I don't know if you've seen it but this car showed up on an episode of Dennis Gage's 'My Classic Car' on the Hop Up Reliability Run in Riverside Ca back in 2006. The car was in its natural environment then and being driven on the run by the then Mrs. Valdez. The show is a who's who of the SOCal scene...Mark Morton, Tom and 'Studebaker Gal' Diana Branch, Keven Vaughan, Jim Lattin etc, enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=6KXv-r6TAK0&feature=emb_logo

BTW, I feel your pain, local authorities here in Quebec Canada also have no sense of humor about fenders on hot rods...

Stogy and Baumi like this.
  17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the compliments and the "heads up", all the way from Montreal ! Have some poutine for me! My uncle is in Kingston, Ont and he took me to Montreal a few years ago , a beautiful city!
    Yes, I had a lot of fun rebuilding this HotRod. I have known that video for quite some while before I even bought the 34. I think that I may have sent the $$ in late 2014 or so and the car arrived here in early 2015 and this video was one of the reasons I really wanted that car. As you have probably noticed reading through this thread I´ve actually been at the VLV weekender in 2006 with a now gone friend and the Valdez family was there too. That was crazy weeken.Maybe I even chatted with Fabian,but I was pretty drunk and sunburnt and don´t remember alot, hahahaha But I have been chatting with Gene Winfield who had the booth next to where the Immortals had parked their cars.
    This reliability run must have been later in 2006 I think. There is really something special about driving hot rods and about seeing them being driven... maybe that´s one of the reasons I don´t do many car shows anymore. To me the most fun is to drive there and back and have a cold one with friends.... I wish I could leave the cars as it is or as it was. But it´s just not road legal like that here.
    I have been thinking about making removable cycle fenders from black ABS-material. It´s light and does not need a lot of bracing and could be tucked closed to the tread. And it could be made to be removeable easily.
    I took the 34 for a spin a few weeks ago.., I´m still getting goose bumps... that thing is made to be driven. Well built, Fabien!

Stogy and dirty old man like this.
  18. mgermca

mgermca

Baumi, my vote is carbon fiber/kevlar fenders and keep the car!
    Maybe we'll cross paths in Kingston some day!

Atwater Mike, Stogy and Baumi like this.
  19. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to pick your brains a little , but first off a little Christmas update: I have been trying to come up with a good idea on roof inserts and cycle or even bobbed fenders... My problem is, I couldn´t come up with a solution for the fenders ( which are mandatory here to get the car safety inspected and registered) that wouldn´t look like a compromise... but maybe I´ll have to just bite that bullet.

The other thing I was thinking about was how I could make a roof insert that could be removable, watertight and nice to look at... I´d thought I could make a wood frame that goes into the recess around the roof opening and is bolted down from the inside with a couple of fasteners, so it´s pressed against the seal I already installed.I could use a sheet of aluminium or even ABS, but both wont have a crown....I´d like to have it covered with rolls and pleats, maybe white but probably black, but I´m not sure it´s possible to get a slight crown in the roof insert by adding some padding under the Rolls and Pleats?
    If you have and idea or a pic of how it could be done or what might look good on this car , please share.
    Here´s where I´m at now...
    VDRR2270.jpg IMG_1342.JPG

kidcampbell71, mgermca and Stogy like this.
  20. clem

clem

21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

years ago i bought a spare tire surround ... aluminum... '46-'48 jeeps ?
    light weight, right radius... still got [2] 15" pieces.

22. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

A roll up like early v w

Baumi likes this.
  23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i made a pair of rear cycle fenders by cutting a steel '36 style cover 1" beyond the bead...
    made 4 of them... welded the pairs together... made cycle type fenders that had 2 beads and were about 2.5" wider... no pix ,traded them...

Baumi and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baumi_DaniHNY2021.jpg

:rolleyes:...Happy New Year Baumi...and to All Hambers your way...

Something to ponder...Trimmed Front 35ish Spare Tire Rings, Firewall Colour and Bobbed rears...

Top Rolled and Pleated with The Symbol of You & Yours

Could be pinned and fastened with surplus AC hatch locks...

I like it...;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  25. Shadow Creek, Stogy and Baumi like this.
  26. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stogy, a Happy New Year from Dani and me aswell! I hope you are well and had a good New Years party! And of course a Happy New Year to all the folks on the HAMB!
    Your photoshop rendering is pretty cool! The roof insert is almost exactly what I had on my mind, the bobbed rear fenders are perfect , I ´d probably just make the front fenders a little shorter and do without our insignia, hahahaha

Stogy likes this.
  27. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RMR&C, thanks that helps a lot! I think I steal quite a few tricks from this site.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baumi_DaniHNY2021V3b.jpg

Baumi_DaniHNY2021.jpg

:rolleyes:...If you click on the Thumbnail you can cycle the pics and see the changes...;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Baumi likes this.
  29. fortynut

fortynut

Life's a bitch. First you buy a nice Hot Rod, get it home and take it apart and completely rebuild it to your specifications, paint and all. Ha ha. I admire your perseverance and ingenuity. Cycle fenders can be made bitchin', though I've only seen a few that crash the goofy barrier --- because all too often people do it for all the wrong reasons. It has to groove with the car and, not just be stuck on. That also means being serious about it. Use metal. Myself, from the comment on the Beemer, will take a BMW over a Harley any time. I used to taunt those who didn't like the ones I rode by saying, "I'll race you to New York and back." Oh yeah, you also did what any good Rodder does, You made it your own, had the balls to change the color and all. My idea for an insert would be smoked Lexan --- arched, slightly, to fit the contour of the top. Kind of like having a mini bubble. Which is, only another 'touch' toward making it even more bitchin'. Keep up the good work. Let us know when you build something else, as I know you will, judging from your skill sets.