Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects the nomad build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old32, Dec 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

In old32's defense. I built 100's of customers cars over the last 30 plus years and as customer expectations rose so did the cost. I closed my big shop in 2007 and at that time a bare metal to finish show quality paint and final assemble was 10,000 dollars. A "complete build" on that Nomad would have been a 50 to 70 thousand dollar bill! And most of it would have went to materials, parts, drive train, chassis, chrome , interior, employee wages, insurance, and shop overhead. And most of those cars never saw the light of day because the where INVESTMENTS!! Old32 if your customers are happy and they actually enjoy and use the car like it should be. Then you did "GREAT WORK!" To this day I still struggle not touching every nut and bolt! And I don't work on other peoples cars anymore! Just mine!! lol Larry

2. Most old cars you see being painted in old pics had less trim than that removed.
    He only has the please the guy paying for it.

Sandgroper and echo ed like this.
  3. old32

old32

thank you

loudbang likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

It's all fine and dandy, until the rust underneath starts bubbling through. Then the owner gets asked at some car show "who did the paint?", and he says your name. Now you are associated with a bubbly rust bucket.

5. old32

old32

thank
    what rust under paint you don't know what your talking about

loudbang likes this.
  6. I also understand the other guys point. But....
    I would rather see this car sanded, taped and painted than stalled on a rotisserie forever.
    As far as reputation, it’s a cost/results situation.
    MACO and the like have been around for decades. We have threads here bragging on rattle can and rustoleum paint jobs. All those are great if the owner is happy. Return customers? A shop that gives the customer what they pay for will always be busy. If it’s a $99 paint job or 7 figure build.

I drive some of the biggest junk in town and constantly asked to do sheet metal work.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Exactly, and I'm sure he isn't claiming to be doing a show quality paint job or charging them for one either!

8. old32

old32

thanks

loudbang likes this.
  9. 434702CC-B17C-4761-B7E6-F4BF41B03C6A.jpeg
    One of the best ever.
    Glad he never posted here to get hammered by the experts.

10. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_3091.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

I can see rust bubbling up under the paint in these spots. I'm really surprised it doesn't look bad to you. The brown crusty stuff is rust. It needs to be removed to help a paintjob last.

I realize your client doesn't want to pay for the rust removal, but your name will be associated with the final outcome. What happens when it bubbles up again in a year or two? He's gonna say Reliable Rods painted it, I don't know why they didn't fix that.

It's no skin off my nose though. You just keep doing things your way.

11. old32

old32

11 (9)vvvvvvv.jpg 11 (6).jpg 13.jpg
    i fixed all that rust

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  12. old32

old32

i fixed all that rust

Attached Files:

Sandgroper and kadillackid like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm just stoked to see another 57 Nomad get put together and be out on the streets.

I understand where many are coming from on this thread. Hanging around some of the company I keep has changed my opinion of what is considered a good paint job or quality body work, but we all have to work within our constraints, including the budget of the customer. I will say from experience, that if the car is garaged and not abused in bad weather or salted roads, and the milage is limited to 5-7K a year, even highly questionable body will work will last for years and look great.

My 57 was complete slap together job, and the paint still looks good on that car 10 yers later, right over quarters with enough expandi-foam that the car could ford a river like in Oregon Trail.

Sandgroper, arkiehotrods and loudbang like this.
  14. where did you purchase your crystal ball that sees into the future.
    I would like to purchase one

15. I'm curious, are you doing your work for time and materials of fixed quote/price?

And the follow up, what would be the ballpark cost for a 2-3 day complete paint job like you did on the nomad?

Sandgroper and stanlow69 like this.
  16. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thats it guys, keep busting balls and wonder why folks dont post here anymore. Thanks for taking the time to share your work with us, I for one appreciate seeing this kind of work done.

Sandgroper, echo ed, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  17. Painters and body shops that didn't do exactly what I told them to do didn't get paid. If I'm paying the bills, they do what I say. I don't give a damn what they want. Not everybody wants that 20k paint job, or is prepared to wait the 5 or 6 years for delivery. Not everybody is looking to keep their cars for 30yrs. My hats off to this guy. He's living proof that the customer should always come first. He seems busy, so he must be doing something right.

Sandgroper, echo ed, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  18. old32

old32

fixed

Sandgroper and loudbang like this.
  19. old32

old32

thank you

Sandgroper, echo ed and loudbang like this.
  20. old32

old32

thank you

Sandgroper, echo ed and loudbang like this.
  21. Haha....some people. I'm curious if everyone knocking this "poor" painting process has the coin for a top notch paint job? I'm mean, what are you, purists? At this point, I would be happy with a vinyl wrap!

-Mike-

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey @old32 there will be no mistaking that car on the street!! Love the color combination.
    Great to have you on here, I'll try to keep up with all your builds. You are a busy guy

Sandgroper, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  23. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I had inquired at a top shop that a very close friend of mine works at for a ballpark price on a respray on my 61 Olds. The car has absolutely no rot, and would literally be a respray with a little blocking here and there to fix some less than stellar finish bodywork from the previous job. The quote was around $30,000. Not every person can afford that. In fact, even for the people who can, whether it's justifiable or not becomes the question. I think a lot of people live in a
    dream world in terms of what top quality paint and body really cost.

Sandgroper, loudbang and scotty t like this.
  24. old32

old32

thanks

loudbang likes this.
  25. old32

old32

people ship there cars to me or trailer them to me $30,000.too much money
    that's why I am so busy i give fair prices right now i have 2 cars from n.j. and one from n.y. in my shop
    they trailered to my shop i just love what i do it is not all about the money a2edac4c1677196e25c2dc5814a35cdd.jpg

26. loudbang likes this.
  27. old32

old32

people ship there cars to me or trailer them to me $30,000.too much money
    that's why I am so busy i give fair prices right now i have 2 cars from n.j. and one from n.y. in my shop
    they trailered to my shop i just love what i do it is not all about the money 20201108_144141 (3) - Copy.jpg

28. Some people are gonna bitch, that's just human nature. Stuff that money in your pockets and buy more car parts :D one thing I'll never understand is why does every paint material can in my shop say "for professional use only", but yet they have childproof caps on them o_O who are they selling this stuff to :eek:

29. old32

old32

your right

30. Usually if a body shop has 'Hotrod, Custom, or Restorations' in their name, the hourly rate goes up 1000% and customer service drops a like amount.

-Brent- and Sandgroper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.