Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940 FORD COUPE VALUE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I am considering purchasing this titled 40 ford coupe and curious on yalls thoughts on how much it is worth in its current condition

Attached Files:

brEad and tractorguy like this.
  2. Well. I would say between 7500-9k at best. I would not go 5k. Considering. Weather or not you had a title and plates. Also location, location. If you are buying. Add shipping back to you. More drive train would have been better.
    I have seen some nice old hotrodded complete ones go in the 12-15k range that needed some work. That is full on project.

not sure if your a buyer or seller. But I do see you in Alaska so I imagine good steel is rare. But I would also just recommend to get past the coupe vs sedan thing and get a runner. there is nice 1940 sedan posted for 6500. All original running titled car. That means for less than 10k you would be driving it.
    Yeah this car.
    70AB0494-CD0D-42C6-A5A3-E5D491CE9AE5.jpeg CE008D03-216D-4AA7-9F63-CA1789A8C1F9.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. Easy to get excited about a '40 Ford coupe, sometimes to the point of losing site of practicality/common sense.
    That car, in that condition, will require everything.
    We of course don't know your abilities.
    If you intend to buy it and then pay someone to "bring it back", I'd pass, and buy one already done.
    If you have the skills and desire to bring it back yourself, it could be a fun worthwhile project.
    For me, I wouldn't go any higher than $6K (I do my own work), and that's only if it's close enough for me to trailer it home.
    Good luck.

Woogeroo and Spooky like this.
  4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Do the the fact that you will be fighting Mother Nature and that she all ready has the advantage of having a "head start" I would not pay a nickle over 3K for that, in fact my first shot over the bow would be $2,250.00. I have seen a few in better shape and project cars for sale in the 5 to 6K range.

Jalopy Joker and chevyfordman like this.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid 8K for mine in similar shape. It was probably a bit more than it was worth but it was only a couple of hours away and was exactly what I wanted.

[​IMG]

Here she is done, however many dollars later.

[​IMG]

You have to remember it is a hot rod project. You are always going to be throwing money/time into it and it will always be about double what you thought it was going to take.

You are a wuss if you don't buy it.

-Abone.

6. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

haha, thats some funny hot rodder peer pressure right there

slv63, scotty t and arkiehotrods like this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

FWIW, Old Cars Report Price Guide sez
    1. $ 41,000
    2. $ 28,700
    3. $ 18,450
    4. $ 8,200
    5. $ 4,920
    6. $ 1,640
    Based upon what I see, between #5 and #6 and how much you want it.
    And I agree with @flamedabone
    Buy it!

8. mickeyc

mickeyc

It seems to my very amateur perspective that was a nice
    body before it became weathered. My experience has
    been there will be much more and probably more severe
    deterioration in vital areas. I would buy it. Rust remedial
    is expensive, time consuming and skill challenging to be sure.
    Do some research on sheet metal replacement and or restoration.
    Let that help you determine value.

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And how many years and dollars do you want to spend?

LOU WELLS, jimmy six and belair like this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

What do the floor and rockers look like?

treb11, olscrounger and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. two couped up

two couped up
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from pa.

I would not go more than $4500. and the frame and floors would have to be in good enough shape to use with just a cleaning and repaint. That needs a lot of work and money to just make it drive and stop.

stillrunners likes this.
  12. 3 grand tops if it has a title, if not 2 grand, that car needs everything. HRP

13. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I have done several 39s & 40s. None in that shape. Tops for me on that one would be maybe $3000, and that is with descent floors

VANDENPLAS and olscrounger like this.
  14. 4tford

4tford

It looks like everything is there except the motor but it all has to be restored or replaced depending on condition of the components and figure out what will need to get you on the road and your budget encluding purchase price. Make a list of the vehicles systems then restore or replace and the cost of each example drivetrain stock vs other than flathead price and so on. Also how much work are you going to do and how much needs to be farmed out and that cost figured out? 40 ford coupe are nice cars to own I have a 40 ford and bought it as a project as well but mine came with a lot of new parts and the bad sheet metal was already replaced and it still cost me a lot of money to get it on the road. Good luck on what you decide negotiate for a price you're comfortable with and also shipping cost distance and non running vehicle that rolls to load.

olscrounger likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said, check the floors,rockers, tailpan and drip rails. Can get pricey quickly and realize that many 40 parts are getting near impossible to find.
    I know a couple of guys building 40's. They have called looking for parts. Hood latch nose piece-some have sold for $850! Wiper towers, grills etc not out there either.
    Helped them find a few parts thus far.

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Maybe offer $2000 but best to walk. You have to buy it cheap or you will sink into it twice what it is worth. Stand back then way back to see what it needs. Almost everything except the body shell. The sum of the parts and shipping to Alaska will put the costs in a stratosphere where it would be less expensive to go buy a complete running coupe. If you have a good parts car in your pocket it may help to keep the costs down along with a lot of sweat equity. Do a walk around and list the parts then see what it costs to rehabilitate them or to acquire them. Glass, headlight rims, what it takes to save the grille and parts available, a new grille is expensive. Running board metal salvageable and can be recovered, floors, all the rubber for glass, windshields, trunk, etc. cost to paint, renew interior, install a drive train, suspension etc. Speaking from experience as I am knee deep and wish I had a more clear eyed look as I would have offered half of what I paid knowing what I know now. I am handy but it is the cost of the missing that hurts. i got the complete floors on sale for $1200 and the running boards for $899 that normally sell for $1250 so $2100 plus taxes plus shipping. I know I can make my own floors but I need them to help put the car on a good foundation. Then factor in the tools if you don't have them or access to them for another deep cost.
    Here is one in Canada south of you with the exchange rate is $7500 US and has every thing. I have seen good frames for $400. This car is a heck of a good start if a person wants to build one and western cars from Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta did not see salt so odds are floors are good with maybe some patching.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-albert/1940-ford-coupe-barn-find/1535325828
    There was a while ago a couple of nice coupes on Kijiji classic cars Canada for $25-30k which is $19,500 -$23,500US. The US dollar is in your favour.
    Just have to wait until the borders open up again for casual travel. We all are looking forward to that day.

I am with the walk away opinion or basically have it given to you. It is worth what you want to pay for it. Everyone holding an old car or old car parts see gold where experience sees a whole different value.

Old scrounger makes a good point on the 1940 Ford parts drying up. I managed to catch maybe the very last set of top latches and convertible wiper towers. I have been accumulating everything specific to the 40 Ford that I need and especially everything convertible related so the parts are there when I get there. I put off buying the rear window for the top then they suddenly were gone everywhere.

17. Budget36

Budget36

I understand the “ better to buy one done” approach, unfortunately not everyone has the 30-40k they can put out for a car to save money in the long run, so even if the consensus is it’s only worth 3k, and you spend 6k, that cost will be absorbed over the several years and be forgotten.

Edit: I might add, even though original parts might be hard to find and command high dollars, if you’re building a hot rod , you don’t need 40 Ford specific parts.

Squablow likes this.
  18. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know how old you are or how much money you have but............if you want a 40 Ford Deluxe Coupe and have the money to buy it.......well buy it. I paid more than it was worth when I bought the Studebaker. Ended up buying three more Studes for parts. Repro tin is readily available for Studes and I suspect the same for 40 Fords.
    I used to say to my friends "When you get to the "home" what will you wish that you had done?" If you are trying to make money building cars my advice is worthless. But if you have a love for that car then jump on it. I saw pictures of this car when it was being built and the one you pictured is nicer:)
    IMG_1908.JPG

Kan Kustom and LOU WELLS like this.
  19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Whenever I bought a project car because it was so cheap, I always spent a fortune fixing it and years working on it which some guys like to do. If I had it to do over again, I would borrow the money, your going to spend the same amount anyway, and then go buy one of Ole scrounger's or Lou Wells restored cars and have a ball driving it and tinkering with it. All it costs is one little payment a month but you will have a so much more fun. So many guys on here that make it sound easy to redo a car but they have a lifetime of skills and equipment and most importantly, the motivation. Good luck with your choice.

Carlmac 369, brEad, clem and 3 others like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Your options to borrow the money are a bit limited, so you have to either refi your house, take out a line of credit , as no one will ;to my knowledge) take a older car as collateral. Or you have to have some outstanding credit for a personal loan. If you have that type of credit to borrow 30k on your name alone, you probably have that kinda money to spend.
    Sure, you can borrow against what you have with some places, but say a 30k loan at 5% for 5 years, that has to be in the 500 a month payment range I’d think, based on a car payment I have for less and a year longer at around that rate.

21. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Quit a spread from 30-40K and a 3K builder. I am in the camp of buying one a little better for a little more money. I would think that I could get a complete, close to runner for 10-20K. I have bought 2 cars from the 30's for 25-33K each in the past 8 years, complete runners with good paint.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

DON'T BUY IT. It requires a total restoration and will empty your wallet in a heartbeat.
    What is the condition of the frame, floors, A and B pillars?
    Just the cost of reproduction parts will be staggering not to mention all the small missing parts
    that you don't know are missing. Transmission is not a 40. Speedometer alone will cost $1000.
    It will cost a fortune to restore that coupe even if you do it yourself - much,much more than what you can buy "one done" for.
    You will save money and time in the long run by buying a complete running car.
    Save up more dough.
    Again, BUY ONE IN BETTER CONDITION that you enjoy in this lifetime.
    The price of 40's cars are dropping and becoming more available as folks pass on.

Post your question on Fordbarn. There is a fellow there who goes by the name "Kube" and restores only 40 Fords professionally. Get his opinion.

23. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Does the 34 dodge pickup go with it?

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Speedometer $1000??

25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad always used to tell me don’t drag home some piece of crap when you can buy something that is worth of shit to begin with.

excellent advice that I never took.

-Abone.

Todd553, egads, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

If you guys are scared of that car you would crap your pants at the 40 coupe I drug home. It was a fire victim that had been stripped of everything but the bare body shell. I have a nicer (but still crappy) tudor to use as a donor for the bottom half.

Squablow and anothercarguy like this.
  27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  28. 19Fordy

19Fordy

29. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

I'm currently building a '40 Ford Deluxe coupe that was found in slightly rougher, but about as complete than the one pictured. Cost was around $3000 shipped to my door. Parted out the chassis and replaced it with a Fat Man unit as the car required floor pans, trunk floor, quarters, firewall etc to be replaced and I wanted to start with a good foundation. As mentioned before, it's the little things that will nickel and dime you to death. Get on eBay and add up all that missing trim, grille, and dash components for starters and go from there, it will get your attention quick!

Here's the coupe I bought:

https://barnfinds.com/high-build-primer-build-1940-ford-coupe/

Something to keep in mind is where you're going to find replacement parts and the cost to get them to you (assuming you're in Alaska). Being in Southern California, replacement parts are easy to find and are usually a short drive away. For example, I ended up buying rear fenders, running boards and a few other odds and ends on a recent visit to CW Moss, an early Ford store about 20 mins from my house. You probably don't have that option, again assuming you're building this in Alaska.

All that said, these cars are getting harder to find and examples are getting rougher, so it's always a good day when an Early Ford gets a new lease on life! If you've got the talent and patience, go for it! If you want to save a couple bucks and be enjoying your hot rod in a year or less, find a more complete example. Just remember to have fun!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Potvin is correct. The nickels and dimes add up quickly to thousands
    which can rapidly deplete your cash and enthusiasm.
    It might actually be less expensive in the long run to take out a loan and buy a finished car.
    Then, pay off the loan ASAP. Folks will disagree but, it's an option.

egads, LOU WELLS and chevyfordman like this.