Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Hot Rods with Bare Painted Steel Wheels Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 23, 2020.

1. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez Robert, lighten the hell up.

In your initial post you stated your opinion rather emphatically that you like them best. I simply disagreed with that look, with an explanation why. Nothing personal...and certainly not positions that you or I have any reason to defend. We just have 2 different opinions.

chryslerfan55 and seabeecmc like this.
  2. I didn't take it personally, I was being emphatic.

Yes, I did state my opinion while asking for photos, and you are entitled to your opinion and I have no issue with that. What I have an issue is passing personal taste off as history, and making blanket statements like "Even in the "little books" when they would feature a street/strip rod, the street version would be running caps/covers." or "that bare wheels were never a trend."

Just because something didn't make the magazines doesn't mean it didn't happen. Lots of things happened that didn't make the little books, East Coast cars were channeled without chops and often ran 37,38, and 39 Ford truck grills. Other then Fran Banister's roadster I can't think of any other 39 truck grilled car that got any magazine coverage.

There are several vintage trends and cars that don't like but they are history and are so must bigger then myself that I don't feel I have the right to give judge them. However when someone pushes me on or off the Interweb I am going to give me unfiltered opinion.

Now let's get this tread back on topic.
    upload_2020-12-27_4-24-39.png

Bob Morton's Roadster
    upload_2020-12-27_4-41-44.png upload_2020-12-27_4-39-59.png

3. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I really dig that 57 Ford in the back ground.. My favorites always seem to be in the back ground lol.

[​IMG]

4. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Robert, notice the majority of the cars pictured without hubcaps are also unfinished in many other aspects. Ron

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    hotrodjack33 and X38 like this.
  5. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see you lightened up:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I stand corrected and humbled...and bow to your obviously superior knowledge of period correct hot rod history, and your extensive 10 year (as per your profile) participation in this hobby/lifestyle.

What a fool I was to dare comment, let alone have an opinion, with a lifetime of hot rod building and participation as my only credentials.:(

Incidentally, that's me in 1963...18 years before you were born.;)
    hrm3.jpg hrm1.jpg

7. big bird

big bird

As far as hubcaps goes, my dad is in his 80s, and he talked about the first modification was taking the hubcaps off.
    HIS dad used to tell us about how his "stupid kids (my dad, his brother and their friends)ruined everything taking hubcaps and chrome off, and making the exhaust loud". "Looked like hell, sounded worse". Then he would start in about the "damn doo-wop music...

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You know, back when there were not any wheels available other than steel wheels or hubcaps. Even if there was nobody had any money. Lippy

9. I was going to let this drop and I had no issue with you and enjoyed your post to this point but since you will not stop.

I would like to point out you came into these thread like a bull in a China shop from your first post
    -I HATE BARE PAINTED STEEL WHEELS

-it just looks like you don't give a shit.

-Even in the "little books" when they would feature a street/strip rod, the street version would be running caps/covers

I proved the last one wrong with the Nov. 1954 cover of Rod & Custom
    [​IMG]

Posted by Big Bird- my dad is in his 80s, and he talked about the first modification was taking the hubcaps off.
    HIS dad used to tell us about how his "stupid kids (my dad, his brother and their friends)ruined everything taking hubcaps and chrome off, and making the exhaust loud".

upload_2020-12-28_9-54-9.png

That ten years refers to me be able to afford, own and modify a hot rod. My involvement in racing, and hot rodding has been life long!!! I was in the pits at my first race at three months old, and in the garage working with my father since I was old enough to walk! My mother and father took me when I was a toddler to swapmeets when they were selling parts. In addition to his my family has been deeply involved in racing and hot rodding since 1938 14 years before you were born!!!

My knowledge on the subject comes from my families history mostly in oval track racing going back to 1938 with big car racing, everything from mechanics/crewmen, drivers, track operation, to chassis builders (my father). My mother father was a body man going back to the early 1950's

My knowledge comes from what they taught me great uncles one crewed on an Indy car prewar, one was chief steward at Fonda speedway, my Father (72) a chassis builder and my mother's father who was a body man in the mid fifties, however I didn't limit it to that.
    I also read every book and magazine I can find and talking to every old time hot rodder/racer I can and not limiting my view of history to my own person experience.

I love talking to old timers, and I am very proud to say that I have become friends with many old hot rodders and racers like Bud Hinman. (Friends for 25 years)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. Mike

Mike

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's exactly what we should do:D

12. When I was a teenager the first thing we did was to remove the stock hubcaps and install "baby moons" with whitewalls. As far as music my opinion has always been that each generations main JOB was to find music that their parents hated! The last generation did a really good job....

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  13. farmer boy

farmer boy

14. Bigbangtheory

Bigbangtheory
    BANNED
    from ohio

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

...but it looked better with hubcaps. 57Olds NJ.jpg

16. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I REALLY like painted steelies. There are many more different kinds of different steel wheels(not to mention different colors) than there are different cookie cutter alloys.
    Each to his own.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

chryslerfan55 and brEad like this.
  18. farmer boy

farmer boy

Hey Glenn, its actually a 55' popular as prefects were 4 door but thanks for appreciation. a build up video can be viewed on youtube https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/526710118897838149/ The body is channelled with a 12'' kick up to clear the back axle on a full custom chassis with Rover V8 (mini Buick 215cu in) and 5-speed gearbox, Leyland Sherpa diff and brakes with coil over shocks, 16'' Austin Westminster wheels widened on the rear and early ford dropped and drilled i beam, model A headlights and 37 chevy tail lights and it's Fun Fun Fun.. Enjoy. Les..
    20200929_114352.jpg 20200929_113802.jpg 20200929_114641.jpg 20200929_113905.jpg

19. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. I've been running mine without the Moon discs for a few weeks now, cause i keep losing the screws. I'm getting new wheels anyways.

21. adam401

adam401

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Bare as in definition four-
    upload_2020-12-31_8-31-56.png

[​IMG]

There are more Jack Benny GIFs then I thought there would be.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  23. FYI-In the Hotrod world, Bare usually means unpainted. NOT- without caps.

chryslerfan55 and seabeecmc like this.
  24. Frames

Frames

2014-07-17 15.32.22-1.jpg 2014-10-09 17.17.58.jpg I totally love BRIGHT FLASHY wheels but I also have 5 _side_ - Copy.jpg the LONE RANGER 015.JPG GOODSGUYS   PACKARD 018.JPG img196.jpg 2014-10-09 17.17.58.jpg img191.jpg hot rods with panted wheels plus 3 race cars and a 39 Hudson stock car racer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  25. cooke

cooke

Great thread!
    Can't beat the old pics.

26. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DSC_0015.JPG
    i was considering spyder caps but decided i like this better

chryslerfan55, AHotRod and brEad like this.