Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical High Flow Water Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CGuidotti, Dec 27, 2020.

1. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

IMG_3162.JPG
    Let me start off with I have never been a big fan of high flow this and that ( a lot of marketing BS) I purchased a March Sport Track AC, Alt, pulley system, that came with a Edlebrock high flow water pump. I am having problems getting the heater to work, went through the whole system (Vintage Air) found and fixed some issues. The heater system is working correctly. The problem I’m having is the thermostat will not open correctly. I have a 180 thermostat in it. After some research, I found with this style water pump you need to run a high flow thermostat. Just installed a high flow Milidon thermostat and same issues. Anyone use one of these water pumps and have these issues. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bob Lowry likes this.
  2. Oldb

Oldb

That is a clean engine. I was curious and checked out the March sport tract system. It comes with a reverse rotation water pump due to the serpentine belt layout. Is there anyway they screwed up and sent a standard rotation pump with your kit? I know that sounds like a very dumb question but it would cause the problem you are having.
    B

CGuidotti likes this.
  3. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Very possible, I haven’t checked that. Hopefully I can find a p/n on it. Thanks

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

5. The Winters snowflake indicates an L88 intake? Liking that ''copo'' decal!

6. You have a 180 degree thermostat that "will not open correctly". How did you determine this? What is the water temperature? What are your driving conditions?

seb fontana likes this.
  7. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Checking with a infrared gun, it’ll take 45 miles on a summer to get above 170. When it finally opens, everything works well (10 degree drop across radiator). On a cool day it won’t open.
    It was mentioned that the pump could be turning the wrong way, this weekend I’ll pull the top hose and check, but I think I would have overheating issues.

8. CGuidotti

CGuidotti

Repop intake, but it is a COPO 427. Has a 5 speed behind it, lots of fun

chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

I’d think if it was the wrong rotation water pump, it would run hot, not too cool. Seems like you have an issue everyone wants, and that’s how to make an engine run warmer;)

CGuidotti and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Not sure of that thermostat but if its one of those pill styles I would pitch it for a 160 Stant SuperStat..

CGuidotti likes this.
  11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

A piece of cardboard in front of the radiator is traditional for that, isn't it?

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Put a 195 thermostat in there.

Bones

13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Some of those import thermostats are junk. Could be defective. Do you know what it is? Replace it with a new Stant or OEM 'stat. A high flow pump doesn't really make much sense to me. In hot weather it could put so much water through the radiator that it doesn't have time to cool (?). Obviously not the case here, though.

CGuidotti likes this.
  14. If the thermostat won't open, then close off the thermostat by-pass and see what happens.

CGuidotti likes this.