Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to Duplicate that Gold Tint that 60's era Torque Thrust Wheels Had?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Nov 30, 2018.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Looks good, many times this is called "titanium".

Stock Racer likes this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

I like the way your wheels turned out Stock Racer!
    Do you have any closeup pictures of them in shadows and in the light?

3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have done tons of 5 spokes to achieve the vintage American Racing look..I use a silver base and then
    mist gold over it once I achieve the sharpness I desire. Can be clear coated after, but I have not found
    a need to do that. Others have suggested just one step, using the gold tone alone, which seems to work
    as well. 1961 67.jpg

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bob, thats the color I remember. Lippy

Deuces and -Brent- like this.
  5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Hey Lippy, yep, these were charcoal grey, no-name mags...new caps with American Racing stickers and
    you're good to go! Thanks, Bob

Deuces and -Brent- like this.
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought the new American TTO wheels in as cast for my '39 Chev coupe. I like them as they're the old style look, but have been contemplating this same thing for mine. Might consider this as a winter project to do while the wheels are still new, and easy to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

pumpkin (2).jpg

8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Just another set and example... nova white 4.jpg

9. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

A buddy says " Hey I got these mags in my shed, my wife's gonna throw 'em out. They're yours if you want 'em. So I go take a look, thinking: plated, rusty crap. LO! a mint pair of Cragar SS. One had a tire mounted at some point, and my friend says "The guy told me the tires rubbed when he let the jacks down" Backspacing issues, which, on my car, worked in my favor.
    A quick trip for some cold ones for my pal and He's happy, his wife's happy and me well...
    Only thing is, the "littles" and rubber for 4 corners = $1000.
    He's gone now ,but the wheels provide fond memories, so priceless.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  10. Blake 27

Blake 27

I don't know how he did it, but these look pretty good. HPIM1216.JPG

11. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Freshly painted, outside on a cloudy day, and today in the shop under fluorescent lights.
    IMG_0149.JPG IMG_0585.JPG IMG_2433.jpg IMG_2434.jpg

12. @1971BB427 -
    That'll knock the ''new'' right off of 'em.
    Looking forward to the ''after'' pic.

13. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Might be how they were but a bit too gold for me. Beautiful Vette!

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

Stock Racer... thank you for the new pictures, and too raced a "Stocker" I/SA Corvette.
    Stockers RULE!
    Now back to our regular programming

Stock Racer likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

Stock Racer likes this.
  16. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Thank-you, Stocker, for the compliment. Like your rims as well. Bob

Stock Racer likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

None of the aluminum wheels that were made and sold were ever tinted gold by the manufacturer.
    upload_2020-12-28_7-33-7.png 1959
    Hello B,

Your information is on topic as the "real" American Racing Equipment 5 spoke Torq Thrust wheels did not have a gold tint. Different copies came and went over the years and it is an element of design copyright to change things a little to get past the law suits and copyright office. So, in name only of the 5 Spoke wheels from different manufacturers NOT American Racing Equipment could have been painted or tinted goldish. Again, it was not on the original 5 spoke Torq Thrust wheels.

upload_2020-12-28_7-36-53.png similar look and style
    In the above photo, we bought a set of original American Racing Equipment Torq-Thrust 5 spoke wheels in 1963, immediately after they came out to the general public. I bought the 4 wheel set for an exchange versus a 1960 Dale Velzy Balsawood Surfboard that this girl I was seeing, had on the wall of her garage. Her brother had bought it many years earlier and in 1963, he had just bought a new Buick Riviera. He wanted those 5 spoke original (back then there were no other copies being made) wheels for his Riviera, in exchange for the wooden balsawood surfboard.

I immediately used our Precision Racing Engines dealer/speed shop license to get a good discount on those wheels. Moon Equipment had a set ready to go if we drove up there to pick them up. In one day, they were mounted, balanced and made the 63 Riviera a one of a kind cruiser. A sleek factory design with the latest 5 spoke wheels on it, cruising up and down in Bixby Knolls was the best thing. The girl and I drove the Riviera all over as a reward for doing a great purchase and exchange. It was very cool.

Jnaki

Like minds must be in our family. Many days later, my dad drove up with a dark green 1963 Buick Riviera as his new daily driver. What a chance happening. Now, he had a cool car that was as good, if not better than the two cars that his sons drove. I mentioned the 5 spoke American Racing Equipment look for his new Buick Riviera, he said that looked too racy for him.

So, when mentioning the gold colored paint as standard equipment, that was not the case. Other companies, in later years probably had design issues and the gold was applied to make it different. Or, a hot rod/custom guy looking for a thing to make his car stand out just painted the wheels. Different eras bring up different results…YRMV

bowie, Jim Bouchard, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

19. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Deuces and Jim Bouchard like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

The guy on eBay is asking $1250.00 bucks for a set of 4.... :confused::(

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

22. Deuces

Deuces

Those are just pics from the net..... Except for 1....

Blue One likes this.
  23. Sorry, but that is Incorrect.
    The original E-T III 16 by 10 was sand-cast aluminum. The entire face of the wheel was painted gold, perhaps to resemble the Dow 7 coating that was commonly supplied on the magnesium Halibrand Sprint that inspired it. Unlike Dow 7, the paint was prone to chipping. The wheels were so rough that polishing them took some real dedication.
    The E-T V, which was thier Torque Thrust style 5 Spoke in aluminum was also available with Gold Painted spokes.

Shelby Wheels copied this option on their 5 spoke as well - I bought a N.O.S. set of 15x10's in 1980 with gold spokes still in the original boxes.

porkshop, Stock Racer and slowmotion like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought gray American TT’s a few years back and needed a change. And chose Dupli-color Graphite. One nice thing is being able to go back.. EF5257C6-4327-4CD8-8E22-42A7662AFC08.jpeg

Blues4U, LOST ANGEL, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pictures or advertisements showing good color pictures and descriptive text or it didn’t happen. :D

26. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal