Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Roadster gas tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Omarsvette, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I have a gas tank for my 31 ford roadster but need it cut down to fit inside the trunk behind the rear end. My car is Z’d. If I have to ask I shouldn’t do it. But can it be done, cut and welded? It’s been a couple years since it’s had gas. Thanks.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if you step the tank measure it as rectangles then add them together...
    upper rectangle's WxHxD. then divide by 231... gives you its contents in gallons..
    lower rectangle's WxHxD divided by 231... add the total gallons for your capacity...
    if you use an angle make it a rectangle and devide by 2...

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Wash the tank out with lots of water, if you can find a radiator repair shop get them to vat the tank.
    Then take a piece of flex exhaust tubing and fit it over the tailpipe of a vehicle and the other end into the gas tank, crank the vehicle and run for a good while running the carbon monoxide gas into the tank, make the first cuts with engine running and just MAYBE you'll not have an explosion.
    Myself, I don't know if I'd even try it then.

4. evintho

evintho

Don't know if this'll help or not but, I installed the tank out of a Geo Metro in front of the rearend in my Z framed 'T' roadster and it fit like a glove.

PB270020_zps6rafhkzy.jpg

Omarsvette and alanp561 like this.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flood it with argon. Just seal all the openings with duct tape. Leave a hole in the filler inlet big enough to stick a tig torch into. Open the valve on your tig torch and let argon flow into the tank until you smell only argon at the filler tube. Make your cut. If you have doubts, try this. Take an empty soda bottle and run argon into it. Light a match and drop it into the soda bottle. It will go out immediately.

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really nice work.

7. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

I may consider this, what year metro?

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

9. evintho

evintho

I believe it was a '90-'91. They're all pretty much the same. Very compact.

PA230001_zps8gq3e6g7.jpg

10. Davewp

Davewp

I to have repaired many fuel tanks using the fill the tank with innert gas method before attempting to put any ignition scource near it.I use the CO 2 (carbon dioxide)gas bottle connected to my mig welding plant.You need to remove all fuel from the tank first then cover any tank openings & holes with duct tape ,poke a hole in one of the taped over openings to put the delivery hose off the co2 bottle with the gas reg/flow meter attached & operational into.turn on co2 gas & proceed to fill tank with gas.l leave a small hole in a opening or taped over hole as close to the opposite send of the tank that the hose from the gas supply has been inserted so as to purge the full inside of the tank,leave with gas flowing into tank for a couple of 3 minutes( depending on tank size ) light up he gas & proceed to braze up or weld the area to be repaired with whichever method you choose to use to make the repair while the gas is still flowing into the tank.This method has worked for my every time without any incidents since being instructed on how to do a tank repair safely by one of my fellow workmates 25 years ago

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Living at the bottom of the world, don't you guys have to do all your purge welding upside down?;)

12. Omarsvette

Omarsvette
    from Arizona

Here’s what I got. Still so room to place things ie coilovers. Maybe I don’t need to cut the tank, but the filler neck is long, that might need cutting... image.jpg