Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 ford vs. 302 v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by markinroseburg, Dec 26, 2020.

1. markinroseburg

markinroseburg

Hey peeps
    Anyone know if the dual reservoir oil pan from mid 80's 302 will drop in a stock 1959 ford ranchero, or do I need a different pan/pickup tube.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

I think you're going to need a front sump pan and pickup tube; the steering linkage is pretty tight up next to the crossmember.

3. I had a '59 with a 302 in it in 1969. It just had the standard front sump pan. I guess that doesn't really answer your question, does it? :)

4. You need the front sump pan/oil pickup.

5. markinroseburg

markinroseburg

Great thanks for the info. Next question. The 302 is a 1988 vintage with AOD. I am putting an edelbrock performer/1406 carb set up on. Can I replace serpentine front pulleys balancer, timing cover, etc to an early style cover, balancer, pulleys etc so I can use a mechanical fuel pump? I'm a newly to fords. Appreciate all the help in advance!!

6. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

You will also need a standard rotation water pump.

7. I believe you will have to install the eccentric on the front of the timing gear to drive the fuel pump. Crazy Steve will know for sure. Also, obviously, you will need the front cover with a provision for the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 62rebel

62rebel

I've back dated several 5.0 roller motors to power Falcons. Mind your firing order and Bob's your uncle. Oh, and don't forget to plug the dipstick hole in the side of the block.

9. You'll need to keep your front damper as it's the 50 oz imbalance which will limit you to a '70-up 4-bolt lower pulley. Or buy an aftermarket replacement that has both patterns. Ford had several variations of water pumps/pulleys, make sure these match or you'll have issues with belt alignment; it's best if you get a complete set-up off one motor, mixing/matching can be tough. Stay away from the '62-65 front dress as these are different from all later versions, aren't being reproduced and can have issues. They are reproducing almost all of the '66-up parts, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. You will need to add the fuel pump eccentric.

10. big bird

big bird

There are also covers on mid-80s that have all the provisions for the mechanical fuel pump, but are serpentine. Some have a block-off over the fuel pump hole, others have the mounting surface cast in/machined except the pushrod/lever/arm hole needs to be opened up. (86 Gt engine for instance...).
    Many 80s 302s already have the pump eccentric, since Ford used it as a sort of spacer. There are 1 piece and 2 piece eccentrics, and a 2 piece eccentric may rub on early covers with a roller cam.
    If you do decide V-belts are what you want, get everything off ONE engine, and take pictures when you take it apart. Some Ford front drives are a single plate, most are a series of individual plates that have specific overlap/installation order.
    Switching to a carb and keeping the roller cam requires a different distributor, and you need a steel distributor gear. Get a distributor for a 1985 Mustang with 5.0 and manual trans. Recurve as needed for heavier cars/trucks.
    Whatever you do, keep your timing pointer that came with the engine/balancer. There are "10 o'clock" and
    "11 o'clock" balancers and pointers. Mix-and-match may make timing your engine... entertaining.
    Keep your flexplate as well.

11. finn

finn

At one time Ford Motorsports had a damper with the correct balance. I think there were issues with the timing marks not matching the cover and pointer I used. Been a long time and I don’t remember the details or the workaround.

12. markinroseburg

markinroseburg

Thanks to all for the info given, I think I'll stick with the serpentine set up and run an electric pump. I already have an HEI distributor with the steel gear, not iron, not bronze. This forum is a wealth of info. I grabbed a set of anchor mounts, correct pan and pickup, lokar aod tv cable and bracket. Thanks again. Will have loads more questions.

13. markinroseburg

markinroseburg

Another question. Since I am going to front sump, what do do about side mounted dipstick? Do i need to change to front dipstick cover and a different (regular rotation) water pump. Sorry I'm such a noob.

14. Go to the 52 - 59 Ford social group and look at the "sticky FAQ" heading, should be the first one that shows up. There is a ton of information on 302 swaps into these years of Fords. I did a 302 into a 59 Ranchero several years ago and it was probably the easiest engine swap ever, however my 302 already had the front sump pan. I used a driveshaft from a Cougar if I remember correctly but don't remember the year of the cougar. C4 and AOD use the same front yoke, Ford-o-matic is different. On 54 to 56 Fords a Crown Vic / Mercury Grand Marquis / Lincoln Town car from the 80's driveshaft fits nicely, not sure about the 59.

markinroseburg likes this.
  15. Most of the serpentine covers I've seen have the undrilled cast boss for the front sump dipstick, you'll just need to drill it out and buy the stick/tube. As to the side mount stick, if it goes into the block, tap it for a threaded plug.

markinroseburg likes this.