Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Why doesn't anyone make seat covers for this '49 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Dec 17, 2020.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Or am I just missing something? I can find 20 companies that make covers for my '51 Belair. I mean, the shoebox Fords are pretty freakin popular so what gives? Macs has a complete interior kit for $2200 but said they cant make just the seat covers.

2. 5window

5window

Simple supply and demand. "Pretty freakin's popular" minus "people who already have seat covers"= "Not much demand" and not it is not economically feasible to keep such things in stock until someone wants one. OTOH, maybe this is an ecomomic opportunity for you?

3. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

It's like that for many vehicles these days. When LeBaron Bonney went out of business they took all the smaller companies they had acquired with them.

kidcampbell71 and Buddy Palumbo like this.
  4. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

If only I knew how to sew. I got a quote from the local interior guy for 1800 for a custom pair but that's 1/3 what I paid for the entire car

5. 5window

5window

Maybe I am confused here. Are you looking for covers for the '51 BelAir or a Ford?

6. How about Dennis Carpenter I thought he Made all Kind's thing's
    for Ford's.??

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There used to be a company on the east coast that made seat covers for about any car,I used them for covers for a 53 Olds and then used them for patterns when I redone the whole interior. I think it was called Autocraft but has been over 20 years and not sure they are still in business.

8. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

For the ford. The Chevy comment was just for reference saying there a ton of companies that make seat covers for it where as there are zero that make them for the ford

5window likes this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

You either have to pay the upholster or do what I did; buy a used walking foot sewing machine and do it yourself. Sew001.jpg

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I just checked the site but the have nothin'

11. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Wanna whip me up a set :D

12. For a long time there was a company who advertised in the back of Hot Rod magazine who seemed to have the patterns for everything.They did a nice cover in red/white for my 55 Chevy PU. I did a google search a couple years ago,and there was still someone who was doing this semi custom work.May yet be.

13. EZ Boy used to make nice stuff for shoeboxes... then they got bought out by LeBaron Bonney... who went out of business.

I just searched that to check my facts and came up with this company. Another message board says good things...

https://smsautofabrics.com/

14. Have you tried The Ford Barn they know almost everything about
    Fords.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I was just on your page yesterday reading about the trunk and hood hinges. I emailed them so we'll see what they say

16. His name is Tico, or Tyco... very very very talented guy..if you have the old covers it helps .. for patterns..

Tell him I referred you..I bought the headliner on-line but I don't remember where it came from.. and it fit perfectly... I'll try to find the source again..

5window likes this.
  17. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Still havent heard back from him but I figure with it being the holidays he's probably spending time with the family. I did find a company called Seat Covers Unlimited that can make them, according to their website. Anyone heard of them or have any feedback? From what I've seen the prices range from 350 to 700 or so

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you check the for sale ads here? @fro5555 has what appears to be quite a few sets of 50s - 60s seat covers really cheap

19. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to find out who all these companies are that make them for the '51 Chevy. I've only located 2.
    I gave up and made a set of '56 Belair covers kinda fit on my '51 Ford. Good enough for the old girl.

20. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I measured my belair front seat and it's almost exactly an inch smaller in every way. Now just have to find a good one. Companies that make Chevy covers are NCA, cars inc, automotive interiors, Bob's, Ecklers (which may be cars inc) and a few others I cant think of off the top of my head