Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Straight Axle 63

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DanVI, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Just got caught up on your thread Dan. Spectacular.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. DanVI

DanVI

20201218_131715.jpg 20201218_145302.jpg 20201218_153216.jpg 20201218_155404.jpg Well today I was able to wire in a plug for my welder and finish weld the exhaust.

Didn't take much as I had it slipped together and marked in place. I tacked it together, removed it and finish welded it on the floor. Not sure why but I always have a difficult time welding exhaust tubing.

Made a couple quick chassis brackets and welded them in place just behind the mufflers, there is not a lot of room for exhaust mounts as the pipe is tucked up close to the floor. It mounts to a floor cross member.

For mock up I used as old shock rubber bushing as an isolator but I will find something a little softer for final assembly.

Mark exhaust system off the list, it is done!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2020
  3. squirrel

squirrel

you missed the thread about welding with a torch? Works great for exhaust....

:)

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Nice progress

5. Coming together nice. Bet you can't wait to fire her up.;)

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You are doing some good work here. Look forward to seeing the finished product. Another great hot rod for Vancouver Island!

7. glrbird

glrbird

8. DanVI

DanVI

I wanted to get the radiator mounted as the last big ticket item to be worked out and installed. A few simple brackets and done, but not done.... I realized quickly that the alternator location high on the drivers side will not work with the upper radiator hose.

So I will have to relocate the alternator to the passenger side. Of course the driver side brackets won't work on the passenger side so I will fab up a bracket. I made a cardboard template, will have to hit the metal store on monday.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  9. DanVI

DanVI

Thanks for the second suggestion. I attach the pics as thumbnails. Clicking on the thumbnail will increase the size for viewing. I've attached my photos in that manner from the beginning no need to adjust my posts/keep mentioning it. d

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

we only have to click on the first one, then we can click the arrow to scroll sideways to the next ones. (using a computer, that is)

Either way works...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. novamad

novamad

It’s looking great. I was just going to sit in my chair and have a nap but now I’m in the garage looking at the car. What radiator did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. DanVI

DanVI

Novamad. Hope all is well and you are getting some time on the nova. The rad is from northern radiator. Part number: 209675. I selected it mostly because of the width, so I could tuck it below the subframe cross member and the rad support. Amazon.ca by far had the best price.

d

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  13. patman

patman

I put the alternator low on the driver's side...gets it out of the way of taking the valve covers off. I used an Alan Grove bracket setup, but there are others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. novamad

novamad

Yes all is good. Haven’t had as much time for the car as I would like. Got side tracked with horses and building barn/shelter for the wife. Still working on the shopping list and getting started on cleaning and detailing the underside. Seems like a good winter project.

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. DanVI

DanVI

I need to hit the store for some fasteners and a piece of plate for the alt bracket so since its sunday and most stores are closed I decided to finish off the front fender brackets and install the front end trim components. All fit together well, minus a few trim screws.

I need a second set of hands to adjust the hood so that will have to wait.

When the time comes to remove the engine I home to pull the entire front sheet metal assembly off in one pieces. Its starting to look like a car.....

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and novamad like this.
  16. DanVI

DanVI

Snow day here today, so I was unable to make it to the store today.

Instead I decided to finish running the brake lines. Not my favorite job but has to be done. I first started by picking a location and mounting the Hurst roll control. Then began running lines from the master to the roll control and also to the bottom of the firewall where I will connect to the rear lines I ran a while back.

The pictures look deceiving. Between the header and the lines there is about 1" of air space all around the lines. Trying to decide if that is adequate, if I need a heat shield or if I need to use a heat protective wrap on the lines themselves. Also, unsure about the lines themselves, they were recommended although they seem soft compared to other lines I have used. Will research that too....

Attached Files:

17. glrbird

glrbird

I think I would have gone straight back to firewall then turn to the roll control. The lines might get too hot as they are. Insulation would be a good idea. Nice build, will make a fun car.

Thor1 likes this.
  18. DanVI

DanVI

Thanks glrbird. The pictures are deceiving. The number 7 header tube extends up higher then the master cylinder outlet ports. That is the reason I made the quick bend in the opposite direction, or at least the tightest bend my westwood tool allows. Lol. Enjoy

D

19. glrbird

glrbird

I just mean by going down it looks like the tubes are getting heat from two header tubes. Just saying.

20. DanVI

DanVI

The holiday season was busy at our house. I had hoped to get more done on the 63 but oh well.

Because of the busy season I decided to tackle a few small projects: throttle linkage, return spring set up and the mounting of an electric fan.

The throttle linkage was quite simple. I used the factory pedal and linkage assembly which is normally straight up and down. A few fancy bends and I had it aligning perfectly with the carb.

I also fabricated a throttle return spring bracket that incorporates a tension adjustment. When actuating the throttle it operates smoothly.

I did spend a bit of time relocating the alternator to the passenger side. I will say, it has not gone as smoothly as the driver side installation. It starts with flat bar picking up the header mounting bolts. I currently have it mocked in position, it is close but still requires further alignment. Once I have it perfect I will trim out the brackets to a nice shape.

I was unsure if I was going to run an electric fan but Amazon had a fantastic boxing day deal so...... anyway a couple quick bends and i had it mounted in place. Eventually the rad will be painted black so hopefully it will blend in better.

I also started my lower rad mounts which I will hopefully finish off this evening.....

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  21. DanVI

DanVI

Lower rad mounts finished and installed! I am using a left over body rubber body mount as an insulator.

On to finishing off the alternator mount.

Attached Files:

22. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

The Nova is looking good. Keep the photos coming.

23. squirrel

squirrel

Good progress. You have room in there for a clutch fan! That's what I run

Sent from my Trimline

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  24. DanVI

DanVI

Getting there. Lol.

I considered a few options. My decision early on to raise the front cross member (flush with the bottom of the subframe rails) unfortunately caused me problems with the fan. I had accounted for a 17" mechanical fan which I can run now but it is located almost 6" back from the radiator. I can down size to a 15 inch fan and move the fan forward I just dont think that'll be sufficient. So for now I will run the old 4 blade fan and the electric.

Not a good picture but you can see how high up the cross member is in relation to the fan blades.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. DanVI

DanVI

I took a bit of time to work on the alternator bracket mounts and alignment. I used a straight edge mounted to the water pump fan mount to base measurements off of and an angle finder to be sure the pulleys are set square to each other. Overall the task was not difficult although when I step back and look at the belt routing something seems off, my measurements tell me it is very close if not spot on. I think what is drawing my eye is the water pump and the alt pulleys are shaped differently in that the v-groove has more material at the front then the back of the pulley itself. I still have shaping and reinforcing to do on the brackets but for now I will keep it mocked up and eye it everytime I work on the car.....

Otherwise I mounted a momentary switch under the hood and my fuel pressure regulator in preparation for running fuel lines. I also started on plug wires, more will come on that.

Attached Files:

26. DanVI

DanVI

The last few days here have been wild. Epic wind storm. Tree (and big ones) down around our property. One large Douglass fir very close to the house.... so I have been dealing with making things safe around here.

Otherwise I tinkered a bit on a radiator overflow. I know typically old beer cans are used. I saved a 16oz beer can from a local brewery called, wait for it...... small block brewery. I ran solid line to it because I had an extra chunk I was not using and I an old rubber headlight wiring grommet to contain any splashing around.

Hopefully get back at it soon.

Attached Files:

loudbang, Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. triumph 1

triumph 1

Nice coolant catch can! The label is fitting & I’m sure the brew was great.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  28. DanVI

DanVI

While its been a slow haul here but still managing to get a bit done.

I mounted the Battery box in the trunk along with a power cut off switch mounted to the box to avoid drilling holes in the floor.

I also spent time fabricating seat mounts. Not something I enjoy...... the seats are from an early bronco, low back with no head rest, not in great shape but usable. I then built up a bracket off of the front seat mounts for the shift pedestal. I didn't want to drill holes in the very nice floor. The shifter is an early Mr Gasket and has a neat shift pattern. I will eventually build a cover for it, something similar to an old series 60 cover.

Not much more to report. Will keep plugging away.

Attached Files:

29. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DanVI,

I am not sure about this, but if you were ever going to race this and needed to pass tech, I don't think they would allow the battery cutoff switch to be located inside the car. I am pretty sure that it has to be mounted so that it is accessible from the outside in the event of a crash.

loudbang likes this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

Looks to me like this isn't a race car, so that probably is not an issue.