Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Filling tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 26, 2020.

1. There are generally 2 options for dealing with the big gaping hole in the top of the early cars and that's installing a original styled top insert or welding in a piece of sheet metal.
    Personally, I prefer to use the original style look of what came from the factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which way do you prefer to fill the top? HRP

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I have a top off a 59 chev hardtop. I cut the chev lid to fit the existing opening. I plan on covering with Naugahyde and using existing hydem strip to appear to be stockish. 52345609-80C8-4DC3-A920-2737C56BB65E.jpeg FAA6A525-0CD0-46C3-A8DF-E4A465379934.jpeg

3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Used a ford Astro van roof flipped reverse

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. The top on my coupe was filled back in the 60's with a section from the roof of a nomad.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

I prefer it unfilled and showing the wood the way i did my coupe. Cover with snaps so i can remove in the summer if i want.
    IMG_8351.PNG IMG_8348.jpg IMG_8349.jpg IMG_7974.jpg

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I used a 1962 Chevy station wagon roof for my insert on the 1934 Chevy build 007.JPG

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I don't care, it just depends on the car.

I've seen almost identical looking cars, 1 with a filled roof and an original style and I can go either way. Just depends on the owners preference I guess....

3W JOHN, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It totally depends on the car. I have cars both ways.

3W JOHN, mad mikey and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Bought a deuce tudor earlier this year with a ribbed wagon insert welded in. First thing we did was cut the insert out and prepare the top for Walden insert cut to size, covered with Mercedes top material and bolted to the wood. I did this on my deuce delivery and 3 window and liked the clean look so am doing it again.

10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like them both, as long as the filled roof is smooth and well done. I've seen some bad examples of both, as well.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Either way, as long as it doesn't blow off at 120.

12. [​IMG]Used an early 70’s Chevy Cargo Van roof skin.
    A perfect match.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

13. chop&drop

chop&drop

I prefer mine chopped and unfilled. 22CBD9E2-7242-40E0-977A-608788C5FC43.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I filled mine....Hated leaky roofs....But i left all the structure if someone ever wants to remove the metal panel.... Cruise night 5.jpg

3W JOHN, mad mikey, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  15. I have both. I drive the U.F.O. in all kinds of weather, so I went with a filled roof. I used a metal roof from a 70 Plymouth. The others don't get driven in bad weather, so I went soft tops. I used Mercedes Benz convertible top cloth on my delivery, and the 31 A sedan. Ron........ 109.jpg 532.jpg 201.jpg

16. E54C9543-8549-421B-A955-15C888EB3DAE.jpeg 3EC9CFC9-D65A-4BA2-86E3-547E4AE5F4A7.jpeg On my 36 Tudor, I welded in a roof section from a mid 70s VW bus inside of the stock channel, and then glued thin closed cell vinyl top foam and installed an original style vinyl insert with original rubber trim via Lebarron Bonney. Looked stock but a tad safer, plus I think it made the body more rigid. Mitch 20190110_123424.jpg As a side note, my buddy filled the roof of his 36 sedan with a cockomaimmy sunroof abortion from some OT japanize car. He likes it but I think he really F’d it up!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  17. My old beater still sports the original top, it's starting to show it's age but I keep it clean and use a quality top dressing. HRP

[​IMG]

18. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

I filled the hole with thin plywood as others have shared. Plan to cover with cloth to keep the original appearance. Would love to do what krylon did with the Walden insert but that is a bit beyond my abilities.

IMG_0307.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. Canuck

Canuck

Like Mitch, tacked in a 68 Chevy roof section inside the beaded line. Covered with 1/8" closed cell foam then repro decking material, both glued down. Followed with repro aluminum trim around the edge. upload_2020-12-26_19-44-34.png upload_2020-12-26_19-57-12.png
    The trim was a real pain getting the curves but ended up nice. Biggest beef was the repro top decking material, real cheap.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    3W JOHN, mad mikey, Dave Mc and 2 others like this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

I put a 32-style header panel in my coupe with the plan to either run an insert that was upholstered, stock looking, or polished.

Right now, I'm leaning toward polished.

A Coupe Roof Insert From Above .jpg A Coupe w Roof Insert Front From Above.jpg

21. I've done them both ways. I think a metal insert is easier, and cheaper. I've kicked around the idea of a piece of aluminum, 1/4" thick, upholstered, with holes around the edge, drilled and tapped, so you could fasten it from the inside.

3W JOHN likes this.
  22. atch

atch

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    3W JOHN likes this.
  23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t do it.... it needs to be a Henry Ford....

3W JOHN likes this.
  24. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

lol ... yes if I drive my OT pickup truck! But really ...there are so many places for water to invade on a hoodless old car to me it seems futile to give it too much thought. God knows there are a shitload of roadsters with fabric tops on the road. I went down the same route as @Fitnessguy as I wanted the option of removing the top when the urge hit me and I like the versatility.
    IMG_3438.JPG

Fitnessguy and 3W JOHN like this.
  25. For you guys that drive yours in the rain. I am reminded of a comment I have heard many times , for many years. If Henry Ford would of built boats , we all would drown .:D

gnichols, Baumi, wackdaddy and 3 others like this.
  26. [​IMG]

I don't have a photo but my pal Rene' used a piece of stainless steel in his 1932 PB Plymouth coupe, It really looked good back in the 70's.

Funny story, we were at Gatlinburg, Tennessee attending the Outlaw rod run and he invited Brenda & I to ride in the rumble seat to go to dinner with he and his wife the weather was cool but not terribly cold and we were dressed for the short ride, we just arrived at the restaurant and it had just started to rain, we got out and Rene' closed the rumble seat to try and keep the seat dry.

Fortunately the rain came and went while we were eating and we left the restaurant to see stars twinkling, Rene' handed me a towel to wipe the small amount of water off the rumple seat, we climbed in and Rene' pulled out of the parking lot we were deluged with the water it seems the stainless steel insert had a slight dip and the water has ponded, with the temperatures being in the 40's the water was nothing if no exhilarating and the short ride back to the motel was miserable to say the least. HRP

R A Wrench, -Brent-, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  27. I must be the exception to the leaky top rule on all my 32's but I can't thinl of a single one where the windshield didn't leak.:rolleyes: HRP

wackdaddy, 3W JOHN and mad mikey like this.
  28. Right you are Danny. It's not just us with the real steel cars, I have heard guys complain about their high tech glass cars leaking.;)

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  29. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

My 5 window has an original style top with lots of sealer while the sedan I'm building has a Walden insert installed by Traditional MetalCraft, also to be well sealed.
    top edge stapled.jpg IMG_8242.jpg