Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ontario YOM plates on a rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil P, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My daughter bought me a set of 1930 plates for Christmas. She checked and the numbers are available, but the website for service Ontario states that you can only use YOM plates on a car that's substantially unmodified. I don't think my car qualifies. IMG_1271.JPG
    Have any of you Ontarioits have experience with this situation. If I was going full fenders with a hood I don't think there would be a problem but that's not the plan.

Phil

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never figured out why a guy would want to run 1930 plates on a hot rod built to appear that it had been built as a hot rod in the mid 50's. Or worse yet a billet laden street rod. All original antique in what ever drivable shape cool.

36cab and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing to figure...We don't want too, its the Frigging Stupid MOT law...I have a decent set of 56 plates that would make more period sense than YOM..and of course its the same south of the border with you guys ...

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think your asking where to mount...I drilled and tapped 2 holes in the spreader bar an installed I think 1/4 machine screws...:rolleyes:...hmmm looks like you did...:D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your ownership says 1930 your golden in my opinion...and it may cost 250 bones to use them...If you took the fenders off the Ownership still says 1930 and it is...not sure perhaps you mention 8 cylinders but otherwise its still a 1930 ford with VIN to match

Technically you still are full fendered...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

You can run original year of manufacture license plates here in Ontario provided they are the same year as the vehicle they are going on, are in good general condition and the same numbers are not being used by someone else. A friend of mine has YOM plates on his 1931 Model A coupe. I remember him telling me he sent the original plates to Kingston to get them verified and when the plates were returned there was a $250 fee that was paid at Service Canada just to get to run the plates on his coupe.
    I really don't think anyone at Service Canada is going to ask for pictures of your coupe and the the "substantially modified" part of the requirement is open to interpretation. Revenue Canada is probably more interested in getting your $250 than any modifications done to the car.

7. Flathead47

Flathead47
    from ontario

You send the plates to Kingston , they will check the plate number is not being used in the system , make sure they are in good condition with the correct paint colours , take your money , now it closer to $ 300.00 , provide you with a letter that you take to the MTO & then pay your yearly plate sticker fee & put on the sticker on the plate .....

303racer, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hurry! The price is rising fast.

2935ford likes this.
  9. I have a couple of friends here, who have YOM plates on their hot rods. No issues with modifications on vehicles from their standpoint. But get them processed as soon as you can, so that the numbers don't get used.

10. Flathead47

Flathead47
    from ontario

Beanscoot .... you got that right , I have had mine since the program started in Ontario & the service was free to check the plates at Kingston , drove down & waited while they checked them , got my letter ....
    Phil P .... back then I asked that same question after I got the approval ...... the response ....
    I just check to make sure the plates meet our requirements , what changes have been made to your vehicle I am not interested in.
    I have never had any issue running these plates on my modified chopped Hot Rod.
    I did get another set of plates approved for a project , have the paper work ... those numbers are now registered for that vehicle permit ready to attach them when the project gets finished ..... that time it cost me $107.00 , same as the personalized plates .... MTO just wants the money & yearly fee.
    If you run Historic plates on your Hot Rod that is different ... the boys in blue are checking & handing out tickets .... again easy money for them as a Hot Rod does not meet those plates requirements .... but the $18.00 fee / year is still attractive to many.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I had the personal plates on my car but I also switched to historic plates to keep the costs down to the eighteen bucks a year. If I left the personal plates on it would cost me more for those plates a year than the costs of my insurance a year. I guess the cops in my area are cool with the historic plates being on a modified car as they can't be bothered about it as long as you don't act like a bone head with your car.

VANDENPLAS and 5window like this.
  12. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought someone might bring up this point of view. To my thinking even if my car was being built in the 50's it still has the (I was going to say heart) of a 30 model A, but with an engine transplant maybe soul would be appropriate:).

Phil

wackdaddy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

In my province we now have "Modified Collector" category, which seems reasonable as the original "Collector" plates were for original collector vehicles with the only permitted changes the addition of seat belts and use of radial tires.

I don't know if the "Modified Collector" plates and insurance cost more than the straight "Collector" plates.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

I inquired in the early '90s about running a 1964 plate and was told I would have to obtain a Antique auto plate,(as well as the regular) which limited the mileage the vehicle could travel annually, and the old plate could only be displayed for parades and historical events and that both plate must be visible.
    After the second paragraph of pedantics I walked away. Now I put on whatever(or nothing) I want on the front and the regular out back. A young guy in my area had a rat rod(self proclaimed) with a 1935 plate. I doubt any part of the vehicle was '35. I asked if he ever got hassled about it, and he said most cops were young guys who thought it was cool, unaware of what they were looking at.
    I have had one confiscated, a Year of Birth plate from Kansas, but it was by a vengeful cop who liked to throw his weight around and the law had only recently changed.
    Since the repeal of the 2 plate law some years ago, one sees everything on the front bumper. Euro, asian, U.S. states,YOB, slogans etc,
    As to Service Canada, I doubt they would know the difference between highly modified and a crested penguin, merely an excuse to take your money while apologizing
    As to the cost, I insure with Haggerty and I pay the same for tags as my OT pick-up

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Here in B.C. we also have (or had) Antique plates which predated Collector plates, these Antique plates being like what you describe only allowed use in parades etc.

I think once Collector plates came along which allow driving anytime, anywhere except to and from work or school, the Antique plates have little interest.
    Maybe Alberta also has Collector plates?

As for putting any old plate on the front of the vehicle, I travelled once to the US with a friend and the US Customs guy asked why he had two different plates on his truck. Luckily the agent was okay with the answer that my friend just forgot to take off the old one on the front.