Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

I love your thread, I love what you are doing with the car but——— you absolutely are OCD !!!!
    finish the body, paint it, mount it on the frame, add all the other parts, it will be great!!!
    Get on it quick! I can’t take much more !!!!
    I want to see it finished, even more than I want to see my own finished !!!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Maybe it’s me but once I destress the seats and these little pins it’s gonna be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So excited to get the OG 32 grill shell out of the molasses. I had purchased this cheap rough fella because it was so important I have all Henry steel panels while tolerating repairs to the common rusted few inches.
    [​IMG]
    Actually looking forward to making all the repairs.
    [​IMG]
    I have the little piece cut out of the inner splash part. I stole lower side pieces off my trucks commercial shell since it’s channeled. Having absolutely no luck locating a cut out for the filler neck from someone else’s peak job.
    I’m messing with the grill cause I swore I’d finish the dang Winterfront by now.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That's pretty good! My 33 truck shell I had was run over at one point.

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

In honor of the Friday art show. Every time my wife purges a picture frame for goodwill, usually from some lame gifted picture, I considered it for garage use. Seeing as I almost certainly will be the one spending my time taking the trip to drop crap off.
    I do have aspirations of one day seeing the garage tidy and as hot rod hangout cozy as I can spare the effort on.
    Thank you Traditional Images That Need No explanation Thread and dollar store photo paper for the printer.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for some 8x10s.

7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Although I had a righteous old school NOS gas cap plan for the stock style tank. I no longer want to use that one on H,H. The new tiny tank will require a long tube and and rubber joints. I’m mulling over welding in the back panel to the left of the louvers a filler neck. This cap isn’t going to cut it for cool on the exterior. So the classifieds have saved the “day”(more like years) again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I will secure it with a chain to minimize young vagrants and hooligans wanting to plunder it in a parking lot.

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I think you could skip distressing the seats. Your wallet chain and the stiletto in your pocket with mark em up plenty fast enough.

Tim, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Made this old ugly frame really something to look at now.
    [​IMG]

No @dumprat a chain wallet and switchblade are too late or too tough for my fashion. I prefer pure 40s style when I will take the time machine for a adventure. Waisted slacks and sweater vests. Penny loafers and healed leather shoes. I have a awesome brown leather jacket wool scarf combo I can’t wait to use on a cold night. My favorite vintage dark maroon wool coat is not worthy since I believe it is a early 50s. I do live by cuffed Levi’s most of my day life though.

Stogy, brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Slacks eh?

loudbang likes this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

everyone knows you don’t wear corduroys to the club

loudbang likes this.
  12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Must suck living in cold country. Around here its shorts from April 1st to damn near Halloween.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The mid west. Home of such fashion icons as shorts and a sweat shirt lol

redzula and loudbang like this.
  14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I had forgot all about this guy believe it or not. I fluffed it up like a pillow with a fancy chocolate on top for a photo op.
    [​IMG]
    Yes @Tim I’m depressed it no longer reads airlube.
    [​IMG]
    I didn’t bother with the surface to attach a mount. I will make a polished L-bracket like one would find on a modern drag race fuel pres. regulator.
    [​IMG]
    I’ll change the screw to a flat blade. Yes I know Phillips were patented before the war.
    I may put it above the fuel filter then over to the Edmunds block.
    [​IMG]
    Remember my credo “it’s in the details baby”

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    guitarguy, loudbang, brEad and 4 others like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Geez that’s pretty!

loudbang, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks! If you zoom in you can see it is not a modern level of work. I went a little crazy on the blower, still not perfect, but these bits I’ve done what I believe to be period. Once they dull down they’ll be good. I probably will give them a half ass dirty sock treatment when the cars together from time to time but not in the nooks and crannies.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I bet if you sat it next to your seat and you fiddled with it while watching tv you’d get a good wear mark/ burnishing from your thumb/fingers twisting it around

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Chop N' Polish where old is a right of passage back to 1946...the seat too and associated hardware was just pulled from a returning aircraft that saw little service as the war came to a sudden end and Hotrodders were quick to snap up precious items at giveaway prices...well something like that...Hows the image in print...better than on screen?...it's just lept from a virtual world onto paper...;)

Go Shine Go!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I got the gas cap and though it totally fits the build. I am however bothered by its authenticity. It seems kinda homemade with the Pegasus added as a after thought. It looks like the littlest bit of gas will take it out. Will see I guess.

guitarguy and Stogy like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was an aerospace clearcoat...hey aviation inspired imagine that...it was a 2 part mix and it set up fairly quickly...

That is if you want to guarantee it's survival...there might be a clearcoat in an automotive formulation as well...

I doubt you can get a small quantity...we used to put some of each part in a specimen jar and mix it in small quantities as needed...

Just giving a possible option...might be worth a trip to to the hardware, Napa or marine store for some searching...;)

Or Eastwood...

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s...f47563a5711eb80dd001a0a240614&SRCCODE=1108620

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Another great classifieds purchase to me mostly to make Matt mad. Ha ha ha with a twist of my villain mustache.

dumprat, Stogy, tb33anda3rd and 2 others like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I recently had gathered up all the other corresponding parts for the toe board install. Things like the pedal opening plate surround, pedal gasket, pedal bumpers, correct toe board screws and washers. I have to age all this stuff as well as the braided cloth gasket that seals the edge. Like so

[​IMG]
    I’ll make two metal brackets like above image. The main floor will all be metal with lots of fake 32 shaping. I think a square tube at the front edge of the flat floor will meet up to the wooden piece and its brackets well if it can clear the trans.
    I also after years of wanting old original hood to cowl and grill lacing gave up. I purchased Vintique stuff and will just have to beat it up. First I’ll flatten it in the bead roller and then try rubbing in oil and dirt into the weave. Actually I thought about hanging them in the sun first until I to see if it will bleach out some of the black. Don’t know if it would work though. Originals always seem brownish grey and I love that. I’ve found no info on how to age these items. I often see them on builds with patina and they look terribly out of place. Like old door handles or bright work on fresh shiny paint or vise versa, I hate that!

I too gave up on a original style firewall insulation pad. So expensive! I bought a cheap silver foil over muffler packing stick on material. I will consider how to blend in or hide that it is wrong. Maybe spray it with black bed liner or cover it in some of my WWII drab canvas.
    I’ve wanted to use the extra to fill in the area below the rear quarter glass regulator plates and maybe behind the back seat because I am going to cover the louver openings with a stick on sound deadener. It recently dawned on me that I may have got this vision in my head from 3WLarry’s Coupe
    [​IMG]
    Probably were I thought of my seat pads too but I forgot.
    I have been thinking over the balance of all this stuff a lot. I’ve not been happy with some previous choices like this cowl/door jam support.
    [​IMG]
    The manufactured piece doesn’t look right. I wanted more of a dimpled vibe.
    [​IMG]
    But this seems too modified for the winter of 46. So maybe I’ll add a few more holes to the good piece and cover that ugly piece with some of the WWII drab canvas on snaps. Then I can stick on some leftover sound deadener on the inside cowl panels. Then no one will see the ugly anymore? Or how about aluminum panels that remove for maintenance? Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sound deadener with canvas snap on kick panel to cover it all

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  24. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And here I was expecting hand laminated Rhodesian walnut with 127 coats of Tibetan oil hand distressed beating it with an era correct leather strap tire chain....pffft.

Tim, loudbang, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not sure if you can get pro form products down there. They make an adhesive sound deadner. It's black and looks a lot like asphalt shingles. It works good and is pretty cheap. It also doesn't soak up water.

loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Whoa! That would look way more correct than this crappy original beaten with leather boots and
    chain wallets. I’ll look into it, lol.

Tim, Stogy, dumprat and 1 other person like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So no one starts to think I’ll hit pause again.
    [​IMG]
    I got this real cheap fill neck that I don’t know if I will weld in, make a plate flange so that bolts into the body, or put a big rubber grommet like a C10 or something.
    Though it is hot rod slow around here leading to the Holiday. I wet sanded and rubbed out the heater body.
    [​IMG]
    I went 800, 1500, dirty sock hand polish, and no compound. It looks far too shiny. I think I will dull it back a bunch when I get the gumption to scratch and dent it some.
    The cheap insulation pad I got for the firewall is not quite what I thought. It’s only about a 1/4-5/16” thick. I think it still needs more like 1/2”. I will check out what @dumprat suggested or maybe sandwich something together. Anything to avoid the crazy expensive stock replacement. This guy has got to save the wheat pennies for more essential goodies.

brEad, ct1932ford and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have made amazing well thought out progress to date...it's been quite an exciting year in Hubbaville...big high five from this front row seat...;)

I'm sorry I didn't deliver any printed material your way Shine (Yet)...glad you did one up...may you and yours get through this C crap in good health...

Mark my words we are going to have a better 2021...:)...and Hubba is involved of course...;)

This pic reminded me of Hubba...not the quality so much but it's screamin' one of a kind presence with Hotrod at the top of the ticket...shared by @Jimmy B in a Thread all should witness for feeling the drug that is Hotrod/Go Fast...

20201220_201135.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...uary-1952-unseen-1951-dry-lake-photos.984254/

Rock on Hotrodder...;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    brEad, tb33anda3rd and Runnin shine like this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Everybody step forward is progress.

Unless of course you are totally hammered and it takes three steps forward and one to the left more 8".... haha

Tim likes this.

Attached Files:

brEad, loudbang and Stogy like this.