Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where’s valves CHEVY 230 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Dec 24, 2020.

1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I am trying to set a new distributor down in my Chevy 230 6 cylinder . I believe I am at TDC when both valves on number 1 piston are closed .
    A couple of threads also mentioned that the exhaust valve will be just starting to open also ?
    What I couldn’t find anywhere is WHICH VALVE is exhaust on this motor? The front or second one back ? Am I missing the obvious? Thanks ?

2. Isn't the furthest toward the front the exhaust?

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Look at your intake and exhaust manifolds. The valve closest to the intake runner is the intake; likewise for the exhaust.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Both valves closed. I guess your balancer has slipped? Why not pull #1 plug and see if piston is all the way up?

5. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

intake closes-piston goe s up-tdc =fire the exh valve goes to the exh manifold intake valve goes to the intake manifold . or something close . frnt valve is exh.

6. sdluck

sdluck

Number 6 both valves should be starting to open and close when your rock the motor back and forth number one will be at TDC then

Sent from my SM-J737T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front to back E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E I dug Leo' Santucci's Chevrolet inline six -cylinder power manual out and there is no image that I can scan for show and tell.

I'd go with watching the top of the piston in #1 cylinder too see when it hits TDC and that fatter drinking straw from the last soda from the mini mart makes a pretty safe tool to hold against the top of the piston as you rock the crank back and forth with a breaker bar to make sure you have it on exact TDC and then check to make sure your timing marks are spot on.

VANDENPLAS, chessterd5 and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Make sure you are at TDC on the power stroke, not the exhaust stroke. Both valves closed or you will be 180 out when you stab the distributor. Pull number 1 spark plug and cover the hole with your thumb. It should try to blow your thumb back if your compression is good. Stab the distributor and the rotor should point to number one spark plug wire on the cap.
    The firing order is 153624. You can check in order to see if you are right. If it runs after you stab the distributor, you can fine tune by ear by slightly rotating the distributor to find the sweet spot and lock her down. If it's points are they gapped right. Should be about 17 on the high side.
    Oh, and don't strip the screw in the base plate if you have to adjust the points. Ask me how I know that, lol. I hope you get your problem solved.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  9. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I KNEW it had to be something simple I was not thinking of .. of course! I do find it interesting that in all those threads no one mentioned which valve was which .. of course if the manifolds were off ....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Check .. check .. and check but it’ll be a while before I fire it . I remember the firing order is 15 is too young ...34 is too old and ....24 is just right

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chessterd5 likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't forget 6. 153624

chessterd5 likes this.
  12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.