Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eulogy for Bob Hogle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Dec 23, 2020.

1. toml24

toml24

Bob Hogle passed away October 2, 2020. Bob was the 1963 and 1968 CRA Sprint Car Champion. Bob had 68 CRA main event wins, 21 fast times and 38 trophy dash wins.
    My connection to Hogle is somewhat unique. In 1993 I started my dream of finding long lost photos of the California Jalopy Association. I figured I'd find 1 or 2 old faded photos on a garage wall and that would be it. End of story. I got tremendous break when I contacted Hila Sweet by phone. Hila is a close friend of Hogle. So, I then called Hogle and gave him my story. Hogle didn't know me from anyone else who came from under a rock, but Hila said I was cool. Hogle allowed me to drive to his house in Phelan, CA. Upon arrival, we walked out to his garage and Hogle pulled down a foot locker from the rafters. Then Hogle left. Me alone in the guys garage. I started to sort through a incredible collection of jalopy photos. I was stunned to my toes. Simply unbelievable. The lost history I so desperately wanted. Now, the real tough part comes. "Mr Hogle, can I borrow these photos?"
    "SURE". Send them back when your done", I must have departed with over 100 8 X 10 photos. The story gets better. Hogle knows 10 other former jalopy drivers. They had photos, and so on. All because of Mr. Bob "Lover Boy" Hogle". I owe so much to Bob. My dream of preserving the history of Southern California jalopy races was fulfilled because of Bob Hogle.
    Thank you Bob for everything. Thanks for the memories.

alanp561, Nitroholic, Lil32 and 8 others like this.
  2. Sounds like a real nice guy - sorry for the loss.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you the Hogle family and friends in the passing of Bob...his connection to the big picture was interesting...he sure sounded like a standup guy and was good at his racing...and your networking led to so many other racers who were fortunate to live through this many times lethal sport...

@toml24 thanks for sharing this loss to the community with us...

Regards,
    Stogy

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Lil32 and GordonC like this.
  4. Fordors

Fordors

He must have been a tough guy on the track but a regular softy when it really mattered. Friendly, giving and trusting.
    Godspeed Mr. Hogle.

toml24, Lil32 and Stogy like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lil32 likes this.
  6. toml24

toml24

The year is 2000. Pictured is Bobby Hogle (left), Jimmy Oskie (center), and Billy Wilkerson (right)
    2000-TL-3 jalopy pilots.jpg

Lil32, bymanr and Stogy like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wasn't Bobby one of many to pilot the Peat Bros Supermodified ? R.I.P. Mr. Hogle.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Live life to the fullest.. Thanks for sharing

9. toml24

toml24

Yes, I believe Hogle drove the Peat Brothers Super modified for a short time.

10. I well remember Bobby Hogle driving jalopies and modified sportsman cars including the Peat Bros #71 at Balboa Stadium in San Diego in the late '50's.