Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Chrysler hemi roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Sonnenberg, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Heres my 29 chrysler hemi roadster project. Will be putting a 1956 dodge hemi 270 with an A833 4 speed with OD. Removing Fenders and going highboy style. Currently working on finding parts to mount the a833 to the hemi. i ordered an adapter kit from hot hemi heads. Now looking for a bellhousing, clutch kit and clutchfork.

I had been looking for a roadster project for awhile. I am canadian and i was currently working in Colorado for the past while and seen this roadster come up for sale in Texas. I ended up driving from Denver to fort worth area and picking this up. i ended up moving back to Canada recently and brought the roadster with me. During that time i met a great guy in Denver who builds vintage Dodge, Chrysler and Desoto motors. after a couple of meets and phone calls i decided i wanted an older dodge hemi and i ended up with the 270. Very much looking forward to this build, i will try my best to keep my progress updated. Thanks, Doug

Attached Files:

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Looks like you have something special there! Look forward to seeing more.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good for you! I'm building a '29 roadster, a 'glass body a friend of mine had and offered me for cheap, using the fresh 276 DeSoto from my '52 wagon. Like you I used an a adaptor and some other bits from Hot Heads, but I'm using an automatic T350. Will be following along as we both build early Hemi roadsters.

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard! Looks like some fine material right there!

5. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Thats awesome. looking forward to your build aswell.

6. BDUB77

BDUB77

That looks like a fun project. I also have a hemi powered Chrysler roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, Stogy, stillrunners and 2 others like this.
  7. Great lines on the Chrysler, the long hood really sets it apart from other makes of the same era.

loudbang, Stogy and Doug Sonnenberg like this.
  8. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

You have any pictures of your roadster?

loudbang, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Saw it when it was listed....looked like real good bones ! Have fun !

Doug Sonnenberg, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Doug Sonnenberg, welcome and that should be an interesting roomy project with plenty of Go power...even brand correct...there is a Hamber here with a Hemi Powered Mopar Highboy Roadster that was incredibly well done and he sure wasn't shy at taking it anywhere and everywhere...it was quite the looker to...I'll see if I can find a link...he hasn't been on in quite some time...

Doug Sonnenberg and loudbang like this.
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I got a blown hemi powered 34 Ford and I use a Mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing on my 833 4 gear...

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great .

loudbang likes this.
  13. BDUB77

BDUB77

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It’s a 27 Chrysler with a 354 and a push button torqueflite

v8flat44, Jet96, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  14. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Looks Awesome. Pretty much the look i want on my 29. That radiator cover looks custom. did you do that? looks really good.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Dee Simmons

Dee Simmons

Great looking project. Using a 53 Desoto 276 with a TH 350 and having a blast. Great help from Hot Heads
    Keep us posted

loudbang and Doug Sonnenberg like this.
  16. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am jealous:( I'd run full fenders but my dream isn't yours:)

17. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

So in order to get my early hemi to mount to my A833 i had to order this hemi to mopar adapter kit.
    http://www.hothemiheads.com/transmission_adapters/hemi_mopar_manual.html. it does come with a 130T flywheel

However i am currently searching for a bellhousing for my A833 OD, should be casting #3743859, came on 75-76 A bodies and some 75-80 F bodies. So if anyone in Canada has one and is willing to ship let me know. i plan on doing a mechanical clutch so i am also in search of clutch, clutch fork, throwout bearing.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. BDUB77

BDUB77

It’s definitely custom. I did not build it. My car has a little bit of a checkered past and picked up some parts on the way. It was supposedly a dry lakes car that ran a flathead. What I do know is that it was a rat rod, then the next owner had good vision and zero fabrication skills along with very little mechanical knowledge. I have spent the last year making it a drivable car and taking a lot of ugly out of it (still work in progress) I really dig that yours has fenders

Stogy, Doug Sonnenberg and loudbang like this.
  19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

If you find a bellhousing I have a new clutch fork that will probably work. I was going to use it on my hemi 833 combo but decided to go hydraulic instead. Let me know Heres a pic

Attached Files:

Stogy, Doug Sonnenberg and loudbang like this.
  20. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Bert your engine looks awesome. Where did you find the lake headers? Ya i would be interested. Ill msg you

21. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

@Bert Kollar seems i cant start a private conversation with you...i may need to post more or something. Anyway i am interested in that clitch fork. Send me a msg to discuss details. Thanks Doug

22. dartracer

dartracer

29 Chrysler, hemi and an 833od. Hot heads adapter and a small block scatter shield from quick time. Using a small block fork with a willwood pull type slave cylinder.

Stogy, loudbang and Doug Sonnenberg like this.
  23. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

Your using a dodge small block scatter shield correct? I have ordered the adapter from hotheads. I was looking at quicktimes but they wanted like 700 bucks for a scatter shield. Im trying to find one locally here

24. dartracer

dartracer

Yes Mopar small block. Spendy but works nice. You can use a bell housing from an dart, duster, any thing that the od came in. Have you tried brewers performance, specializing in mopar manual transmissions. He may have the parts you need.

25. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

First off i apologize for the long delay of posting. I have been busy moving and building a new shop. anyway i have officially started the roadster hemi build. Here are the first few pics of taking it apart and cleaning it up. Now bare with me as i have limited experience in building a ground up project like this.
    Once i have all the body panels, motor and the transmission out. i will be starting with my suspension mock up. This is not going to be a traditional hotrod but more of a slight custom. It will have a 1956 hemi 270 triple duece with a A833 4 speed with OD, a ford 9" rear with 3.89 gears. Im going with leaf springs in the rear and a wishbone frontend suspension. Highboy stance is what im going for. Now i was going to go with a fenderless setup but after i really got this roadster in my shop and looked over it i fell in love with the lines and flow of the fenders...so ive decided im going to keep them. Here are some pics

also if anyone can help me determine the difference in frontend options. Is there a difference between spring over, spring behind or radius rods? obviously there is a different setup between them but is there really a difference in perfomance. I was thinking of going with the wishbone front leaf, i beam axle and radius rods

Attached Files:

Desoto291Hemi, brEad and loudbang like this.
  26. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

I have not done a front end that old but have done 30's Mopar frontends and kept the front leaf springs. Don't feel that they are not a good handling system and they can be upgraded. Look into redoing the springs and better brakes as you are looking at a lot of fab work changing the front to a different system

loudbang likes this.
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

Cool, put a Mopar in a Mopar !

28. Doug Sonnenberg

Doug Sonnenberg

progress continues...I have gotten the frame pretty much striped down. First big problem i have to address is that my rear frame rails are bent. I am going to take to a frame shop and get the whole frame aligned so solve this issue.

I have decided what i am going to do for front suspension. My plan is to go with a straight solid axle, hairpins, crossover steering with vega manual box for front suspension. for my rear suspension i think im going to go with the rear transverse single leaf with radius rods. see 2nd pic. not sure what actual term is. What are your thoughts on rear suspension? im trying to keep fairly traditional but dont want to comprimise safety. It is going to be a roadster so i want the car safe, most of my driving will be on straight bumpy roads. Screenshot_20210814-094943_Google.jpg Screenshot_20210814-094734_Chrome.jpg 20210813_202810.jpg 20210813_202813.jpg

Desoto291Hemi and loudbang like this.