Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Are you less picky on your builds the older you get?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Dec 23, 2020.

1. BJR

BJR

I have found that I am less picky on my builds the older I get. Now at almost 71, all I want to do is finish my 49 Buick. So I am letting things go that 10 years ago I would have fixed. All of which are cosmetic, but I just want to get it done so I can enjoy it before I meet my maker, or can't drive anymore. Any one else feel the same?

blowby and wicarnut like this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'll let some things slide however I'm still a PITA when it comes to my cars. I can still be critical of my work years down the track and can be pedantic when I see some things done by others to their cars and think, why when there was an alternative solution or that could have been done better.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh hell no, exactly opposite. Stuff I'd figured was good enough 20 years ago I won't let slide now. I'm much more particular now, so much so it's hard to get anything done...

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Maybe less picky, but my tools and skills are a LOT better. My builds come out better now than when I was younger and picky, And I am happier

redoxide, Hnstray and BJR like this.

5. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Brian, I was too particular and could not do anything because it wasn’t up to “my standards”, I had no skills.

BJR likes this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't keep doing "new" builds.. Might improve an existing or a repair. Too many other interests to sweat bullets for the cars alone, got to spread it around. No house maintenance, only snow, leaves. All else I tell wiffy to find some one and hire them which doesn't work out that great.. His tools are here but he hasn't been back since before Thanks Giving!

BJR likes this.
  7. No, I actually do a lot better job now than when I was in my 20's. I think working on aircraft made me a lot pickier about how I do things...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  8. More picky now at 73. The more you know the worse it is.

9. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I find that I am becoming more fussy about details as time goes on. Fasteners have become an obsession, it started a number of years ago when I started doing restorations. Sometimes it is a curse being anal about the details, but the results make it worth the aggravation.

10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know better now so the stuff I do comes out better than it did before and I am picky too.

Hnstray, hemihotrod66 and BJR like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you seen some of the hot rods I've slapped together?:eek:
    Been called a lot of things...but no one has ever accused me of being picky.:p

redoxide, mnjeff, unfinished and 3 others like this.
  12. getow

getow

I guess theres a fine line. As long as im assured the fix is literally fixed. If im not sure it going to last, ill do it again. And old saying in the dealer world, if you dont have time to fix it right the 1st time, you WILL the 2nd. Ha.

Algoma56 and BJR like this.
  13. I agree. It's like i learned how to do better over the years.

BJR likes this.
  14. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Yep, pickier now. Also when I’m looking for parts I’m far critical. Some want a ton of money for junk “easy clean-up” BS that I walk from now.
    That goes for tools as well.

I will say thou I’m far smarter about project creep than I was 30 years ago. I’m not blowing it all apart like I use to if that was not the plan to begin with. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger, BJR and fastcar1953 like this.
  15. I think I am more picky (anal) about my builds the older I get, I know my last ground up build I wouldn't let anything slide that at one time I would have considered minor and just keep moving on to the next project. HRP

16. birdman1

birdman1

I figure screw it, I'll make it better later, I want to drive it before I get. Covid. LoL

17. Fogger

Fogger

My family has a number of old sayings and one is "How you do one thing is how you do everything". At my advanced age it takes me longer to accomplish my goals but I still finish them as well or better than in the past.
    Merry Christmas to all the HAMB!!!!!

Hnstray, Algoma56 and BJR like this.
  18. Reidy

Reidy

Picky is an interesting word. I would say I aim for good quality and safety, but level of finish is different. I will now accept a slightly lower level of finish or use a different product knowing that the aim is to look reasonably good and be functional, as opposed to looking great and getting pissed when each new mark came from use.

Steve

redoxide, Hnstray, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's the opposite. I say it all the time.

My standards are higher than my skill level.

20. I used to be frustrated that things were not perfect, now that I am capable of making it perfect I don’t feel the need to. I put so many miles on my stuff that I’m happy with respectable.

This old car stuff is supposed to be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

redoxide, Hnstray, Jrs50 and 3 others like this.
  21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I got much more picky hanging around this place for the last 18 years.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

yes, I am....

23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

At 75 I'm getting pickier. When I spend the kind of money it takes today I want it right.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Turned 70 today, and still want everything I do to look perfect. If you are going to look at it for the rest of your life why not? There was no rush to drive a project 50 years ago, why start now. Merry Christmas to everyone, 2021 has to be better.

Bob

25. My last build is forcing me to be 'way over the top' picky. There ain't gonna be any curbs to pull over to if shit starts going south.

warbird1 likes this.
  26. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'm kind of both ways.
    When I was younger, I would evaluate all the possible things that could go wrong, and work towards a goal of building until I reached the point I had those things covered. But at that time, attention to details and finish were the last things on my mind. If it looked good from 20' away, I was good with it.

These days, I worry a lot less about what might, but probably won't happen. I think a lot of years and a lot of miles behind the steering wheels of hot rods has softened my concerns over what I could overcome during a build to cover things that might happen. I do find myself thinking about details and finish a lot more then I did when I did earlier in life. I've reached the point where I want it to look good from 10' away, and look really good from 20' away. I'm still not too concerned about what others think about my rides.

I don't believe "picky" would be the proper word for me, probably being "more realistic and being more aware" better fits. Gene

wicarnut and RJP like this.
  27. Happy birthday Bob! Have a Merry Christmas

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't sweat the stuff you can improve after it's on the road, do the other stuff right. My heaps are far from perfect but driving them is more important to me, and going for a drive after an improvement is all the better.

57 Fargo likes this.
  29. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Yes, less picky on cosmetic but more picky on mechanicals ;)

Oldb and Wanderlust like this.
  30. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup...doesn't matter if your wiping your behind or cleaning the kitchen Windows.. Give it 110 percent or go home...

TCATTC and The37Kid like this.