Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical chass eng rear swap kit 41 sd coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Dec 22, 2020.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

anyone out in hambland ever use this kit as- 1019cg ? im ready to swap rears in my 41 . was going to fab it up , but springs are probably to weak and shocks arenot cheap so this kit for $800 sounds like it might be the best way to go . as much as i never want to spend money ! anyone have any exp. to share ? thnx for help 1941-Chevrolet-Special-Deluxe.jpg

2. evintho

evintho

Is this the swap kit you speak of?
    Chassis Engineering rear axle swap kit

$800 seems a little steep for just springs, shocks and mounts! You could save a ton by having your springs re-arched at a spring shop and call somebody like KYB shocks tech line to see if they can line you up with the appropriate shocks. What rearend are you swapping in?

3. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

yes thats it .total cost and trouble seems a wash . others have said the springs are to light and will wrap up . after thinking a bit .with the removal of the torque tube i can see where problems could arise . i was thinking traction bars but, im running a 235 at least for now so really wanted to keep it simple . im trying to keep it close to a 50s poor kid build theme ,shocks pretty much need the cross member to mount good .and chev of 40 wants $700.oo for springs alone ! im installing a 71 i think nova 10 bolt. i think gears re 3.08 or close . i will be using the 3 spd. from the same donor

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  4. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have had a '37, '40 and '46 Chevy, all with SBC's, from a 292" to a blown 355", and I never had an issue with the stock suspension, front or rear. Used '55 to '64 rearends in them. Street raced them all with plenty of burnouts.

pumpkin 2.jpg 46 coupe 9.JPG

41 coupe likes this.

5. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im glad to here that . i paid big money for frnt shock rbld , but havnt had a correct algn yet as i tried 2 coil drop and it bottoms out . going to try one coil and see how it steers/ rides . what did you do for rear shocks ?

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here. Built this '48 in high school 283/3pd. Stock front suspension and rear springs. '57 Chevy rear was a "bolt in" I did have traction bars and longer shackles...beat the living hell out of it...and never had a problem. 48a.jpg

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, had "hi-Jacker" air shocks

8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

ive been seeing your post on the 46 . real deal back in the day shit . i bet you miss it . what years did you have it ? how was the steering? did you flip the rear springs . im planing on useing 2 inch lowering blocks either way i go

9. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Bill, unfortunately I sold the '46 about 8yrs ago, and gave away my build file to the new owner, but as I recall
    I used the shock shackle mounts from the '57 rearend, and then looked on the web for shocks that would
    work in the movement range I needed. Sorry I don't have the info. '41 are cool cars to rod!

10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the Posies springs just work, and work well. Bolt straight in. I understand they're made for the job, not repurposed from some other application.

For shocks I used some Monroes, near vertical and mounted to some bungs I turned that pass through the chassis rails (welded in). No crossmember necessary. Not seen one of the CE or similar shock crossmembers in use but wonder whether they clear the differential. My 10 bolt has gently self clearanced the floor a little!
    Chris

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i couldnt find the posies listed anywhere