Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to H.A.M.B and I need some help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by harleyd20, Dec 22, 2020.

1. harleyd20

harleyd20

So.......... here’s my problem. I own a ‘37 1/2 ton, except for the paint it is running, solid and original. It is in need of a restoration and my dilemma is how this should be done. I can use a dropped front axle, 235 with a T10, etc, etc. Or I can go with front and rear Corvette suspension, Small block with a automatic, etc,etc. I currently own most of the major parts to do this truck either way. What do you guys think about this soon to start project?

2. Welcome aboard. Talk beam axle. Vette rear will cause you to be ignored. 235 with T5 seems to be ok.

scotty t likes this.
  3. Absolutely 6 cylinder, 5 speed!!! Have something a little different!

Torkwrench likes this.
  4. belair

belair

The Corvette running gear is probably off topic here. We lean to the hot rod as opposed to the street rod. Learn the rules and the ethos of this place. The 235 combo will get a lot more f love, EFI, none. A 1st gen SBC will get the love and would work good. I used a 250/th350 in a 48, it was a gas. Again read the rules, don't get your panties in bunch if/when you get a post or pic deleted, and you will have access to some of the greatest mechanical minds around. And we like pictures. Welcome.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a suggestion, read the rules for this forum. This is for cars 65 and back and mainly for traditionally built cars. What 325w said is absolutely correct. All that being said, Welcome. There are a lot of knowledgeable guys on here and they don't mind sharing.
    There you go Arkie, I fixed it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Torkwrench and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. Howdy.
    Screw the vette crap.
    Dropped axle and possibly springs.
    If ya go 235, make sure it’s the full pressure one.
    Post some dang pics
    https://droppedaxles.com/

mad mikey, Torkwrench, Tman and 4 others like this.
  7. Jibs

Jibs

Welcome aboard neighbor, I'm live in Canonsburg. Definitely dropped beam axle, but sbc for power. Pictures & more pictures.

8. There's no sound like a split 6 exhaust.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He doesn’t say what year Corvette. Until he’s is newer than 65 I’ll listen...

10. wow new people still make it to here?

Boryca likes this.
  11. That's very true! And better than hearing mustang ii

mad mikey and Boryca like this.
  12. I'm gonna throw my vote in for straight axle with a small block/T10 combo.

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I wish that HAMBers, especially long-time members, would stop saying this site is for "64 and older" or "pre-64." Ryan sez (and this is from the rules HE wrote) "We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only."
    Did you get that? '65 and older. Not pre-65, not pre-64, not '64 and older.

Blue One, 41woodie, Hnstray and 10 others like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

15. Welcome, and good luck with the build on your truck. As you start your journey here, you'll quickly realize that the New HAMB will only allow you to do what they want to your truck. Permission will have to be asked for, and then given, for you to proceed on your truck. My advice is to ignore the opinions, but pay close attention to the technical advice. The wealth of information at this place is second to none.

osage orange, 73RR, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Small block Chevy.
    Painted Chevy Orange.
    Dems da rules!

17. Yep - didn't read the year of Vette - guess it's the time of season to pounce first and ask questions later.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

I assume we’re talking about a ‘37 Chevy PU? V8 isn’t an easy a drop in than the inline, but doable.

There’s many other good places to visit if you decide on the Vette stuff

19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Show us pictures of what you have to work with....

20. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Hi neighbor, just up the road from you Butler pa.. As the others have said no to the corvette ,Mustang 2 etc. inline six will be a good choice. I have a T5 behind a Flathead in my 46 ford coupe and it works well.

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take a look at post 5, Arkie, my bad, I fixed it

arkiehotrods likes this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard, old time rules say if your just going to talk about it by the year; it MUST be a Ford. Other wise you need to say what make. That aside , I figured you meant Chevy since you said 235”. The exception to the above rule is if you say ‘55 or ‘57... In regards to your Chevy , personally I’d go with a 283 “or a 327” with a Muncie or a T10.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. v8flat44

v8flat44

Another vote for the 235......split 6 Chevy's sound awesome..."dare to be different"

Maicobreako likes this.
  24. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am assuming it is Chevy? If it is a Ford, forget the 235, it’s too long.

25. I'm going to guess Chevrolet based on the avatar. And, another vote for dropped axle and either a 235 or maybe a 265 or 283 if you want to put late model stuff in it. :D Oh, and be sure to check out www.droppedaxles.com when you decide you need the axle. Sid is a HAMBer and will take care of you.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't understand the negativity. The OP asked for opinions and got some. He was also told why the Corvette options were less than appealing for the majority of the members here.
    I own a '37 Chevy and I can tell you that putting a SBC or a 235 six are both good choices. I wanted to be different and opted for the later 292 six. That was a lot more work due to the length of the engine. The automatic is MUCH easier in this car than a stick. Mine is a stick.
    Mine has an OT front suspension but I didn't replace a beam axle.
    Welcome aboard!

27. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

yep, take a ride to Canonsburg. Me & Jibs will show you some stuff. Bring a Dollar, the tour ain't free.

28. Welcome.
    The obvious answer for this crowd/site is to go the dropped axle route.
    Depending on what you want the truck to "give back" to you, is what constitutes direction of build, considering drivability, amount of intended miles to be driven, comfort (or lack of), any physical limitations, etc.
    Personally, dropped axle, sbc, m/t would be my choice, but I'm not the guy behind the wheel.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. If you want to try to be different just like most everyone else use a dang ho hum V8. If you want to really be different and go to car shows & such and really draw lots of public and interest stay with an inline 6 as there will not be much else there with them. There are still lots of the 235, 261 or 292 engines still out there. Even the newer 270" engines. The 216, 235 & 261 are the same length with the 270 & 292 being a bit longer.
    My Avitar photo on this post shows the 235 I have in m 46 Chevy Coupe. Bored 0.060, Clifford cam, Dual 2 bbl intake & shorty tube headers. Atop the Clifford intake are 2 of the big Weber Carbs and they work great. Just had to engineer some throttle linkage. It has been a great cruiser & even has vintage air. It has been down a bit over a year now as I got rear ended and have put off the rebuild but hopefully I will get that going sometime this year.
    Keep us posted and start a build thread with photo's as work progresses. Jimmie