Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical It’s got captains bars 261 scrap yard purchase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 22, 2020.

1. getow

getow

Oh and that 6v setup will bolt right up to that 261.

2. getow

getow

Ha. I more thing... there were 2 different bell housings, truck and car. Different trans to bell bolt pattern, but both will bolt to that motor. Depending on what your plans are with transmission will dictate that also.

3. Yep
    I have both set ups.
    The 6v did worked fine until I slung the armature apart.
    It’s fixed now but if I can use the 12 volt I would like to use it

4. I have 3 complete truck set ups.
    A 6v,, 12v foot pedal and a 12v key switch starter

5. getow

getow

You can use the 12v starter ONLY with a 12v flywheel. Like i said b4, the 6volt starter will work great with 12 volts. Nothing to change but the battery.

Cosmo49 and anthony myrick like this.
  6. getow

getow

Sounds like you have all your bases covered then. I have quite a few parts for all these setups also. If you need something or get in a jam, let me know.

7. krgdowdall

krgdowdall
    from Alberta

Get a HEI distributor from a 1974-86 GM I 6 , 250 or 292
    the 74-75 is HEI but the coil is not in the cap. Uses a remote coil.
    Some mods needed on the casting but not a lot

anthony myrick likes this.
  8. This one with the engine has the coil on the cap
    33ACE28B-BBE8-4E14-97C7-5CE52000C6BA.jpeg

9. Thanks.
    You guys are great here.

getow likes this.
  10. It appears the small cap HEI used on these is from a carbureted 60 degree V6
    This HEI that came with this 261 didn’t have a hold down. I know the stock points rotates.
    I wonder if the distributor was never finished. The wires were not hooked up either.
    Anyway, I won’t use it on my 235 due to it won’t look good with the period speed parts I have for it.
    It’s fine if I use the 261 in my 61. That’s a work truck.
    Looks like I have an extra 848 head to use on the 261 (if the 261 block checks out)
    That head has a verifiable 45k miles on it. Should be an easy build.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. CE1B5E93-D9E9-44D4-A45B-752CBDA29E61.jpeg
    been studying this updraft manifold setup.
    That exhaust manifold looks easy to split.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  12. A friend has one of these he’s going to hook me up with
    649E9BCA-2B8E-4587-9DDB-8DAC3653523C.jpeg
    these look like they use warm water instead of heat from the exhaust?
    Is the heated intake necessary in the south?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    6-bangertim and Cosmo49 like this.
  13. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Yes, heat is always necessary. In the late 90's Tom Langdon and Dr. Leo Santucci did a chalk talk/dog and pony show at the East Coast Inliner's Meet at the dirt track at the Latimore County Fairgrounds.. They were both touting the necessity of a heated plenum at the base of the carbs. It was awesome to see men in their 50's 60's and 70's taking notes and asking questions as if it was their first day at school.
    The challenge with that Edmunds intake is that it won't fit if it is a 216. They did come in the 235-261 variety which I truly hope you have! I should have said that if it is the 216 variant will not mate up with the 235-261 stock exhaust manifold. But I see you are going to create your own dual exhaust manifold.

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  14. getow

getow

I wouldnt worry about the heated manifold especially down south. I dont have mine hooked up here in Pa. on my 261. And on my 66 truck, i have the exhaust flapper welded open. If i were in Wisconsin or somewhere like that, i might think alitta differently.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like a pre 58? 261,somewhere around 58 or 59 they got full flow oil filter and the one you have looks to have the bypass oil filter system.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

H 101_0014.JPG ere is what the full flow oil filter system looks like,this is the one I picked up this summer from someone that did not know what it was.

17. That’s possible. The bus was a 58 or 59 Viking.
    I will know more when I get it home.
    Should be doing that Monday.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My 261 is a 58 or 59.

19. I looked at the Edmonds intake. It is the 216 version. According to a HAMB search, it can be used on the 235 head.
    Either enlarge the port or use a machined adapter.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ake-manifold-alignment-ring-adapters.1064569/
    This Edmonds intake has no provision to mount it to an exhaust manifold. It has what looks like either coolant or uses some sort of heat riser to warm it.
    This particular intake has a matching set of YF carbs with linkage. Luckily it belongs to a guy that likes LS engines.

edit: there are HAMB threads calling this a water heated intake.

6-bangertim and Cosmo49 like this.
  20. According to the HAMB experts through some research. The intake cam be plumbed from the thermostat. Some have plumbed the rear to the heater lines, some back to the suction side of the WP.
    39BE0C80-C428-44A8-9B1D-6E34E7FCE4F0.jpeg FE139A96-4203-4A2C-8709-99B819F0DAC0.jpeg
    this one is a 250/292 I think.
    Supposedly, one of the possibly out of business 6cyl sites had a thermostat housing with an extra port. I bet I could weld a bung in a regular housing if needed or just T off the heater hose ports.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Here is the thermostat housing area of my 261 101_0016.JPG

kidcampbell71 and anthony myrick like this.
  22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 261 was used in Canadian Pontiacs from 1955 to 1962. The reason was that Pontiac went to an all V8 program in 1955 and dropped their old flathead six and straight eight. Pontiac Canada wanted a six cylinder car to sell so they borrowed the Chevy truck engine. It gave them a base engine a little bigger and more powerful than Chevy that was suitable for a more expensive car. Canadian Pontiacs were basically Chevies in Pontiac trim anyway and were a lighter car than the US made Pontiacs.
    These Canadian made Pontiacs are scarce as hen's teeth in the US but were sold around the world especially in British Commonwealth countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and India. For tax reasons many export orders were sourced from Canada. In countries where new cars and gasoline were expensive the six cylinder Pontiacs had a little more style and prestige than Chevrolet but were not much more expensive to buy and run.
    The last Pontiac 261 six had 135HP. The Pontiac version of the 261 had hydraulic lifters and a cam borrowed from the 53-54 Corvette which was a little hotter than the 235 cam but used the car type fibre cam drive gear for silence, in place of the heavy duty aluminum gear used in trucks. Canadian 261s never got the full flow oil filter but made do with the bypass filter to the end. They also had a larger carburetor than the 235. Basically the same as the Chevy heavy truck engine with a few minor adaptations for passenger car use.

23. Those 848 heads have an interesting combustion chamber design. Are the pistons flat tops? How many main bearings do the 261’s have? I’m also assuming they did away with the Babbitt bearings? Sorry for the mundane questions, but I have a 216 in my 1950 3100.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 261s are inset bearings. the 235s got those in 54
    235s with Power glides got insert bearings in 53
    The pistons in the engine my 848 head came from are flat tops

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  25. I have one them thar 261's in my backyard also...

20201224_165407.jpg

20201224_165418.jpg

26. Main bearing count is 4

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. fortynut

fortynut

As to splitting the manifold, having been down that road and back in my day, and learned the hard way to completely separate both sides, as cheap as a set of cast iron Fenton headers for the 235/261 are, and all the hassle there is to dealing with exhausts, why not go First Cabin? Worst case scenario, also, is to use a Stromberg with an adapter --- jetted down, if you're into getting it down to the nines with a single carb. And, whether you like the looks of the HEI, or not, performance wise, the value of it is in how well it performs. Nothing perks a sad running engine up more than increased spark voltage that is so crisp it will make even an over rich engine run better. Make sure to use the correct plugs for it, as well.

6-bangertim and anthony myrick like this.
  28. Does your 261 run the older 235 water pump?. Also I like the YF carbs, run the Ford 300 ones and you can use jets from a AFB.

29. Normant93

Normant93

Hey Robert,
    I'm curious what it costs to get an 848 head set up like that?
    I have a rebuilt 261 from my parts truck that will be going in my '46.
    I picked up an 848 head for it that I want to have done, including hard valve seats for the exhaust.

30. The update is the scrap yard is closed this week.
    I showed up on the wrong Monday.o_O

Tman likes this.