Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2020 Banger Meet Thread - Lil Saint Nick!***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 97

Does your F.A.S.T. spreader work on reversed eye springs? If so, maybe you could share a pic or two and tell us how it works. railcarmover is not the only one who is ,or has tried, to design and build a spreader to work on both springs.

2. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

3. railcarmover

railcarmover

I learned along time ago, don't invent, steal what you need. My idea is to use Bri's method without the angle iron on the bottom.. put a piece of round stock on the top of his bracket, wide enough to use a spreader with an eye to slide on to the stock.. use two spreaders to offset the uneven push.. spreaders on both sides of the spring. One thing for sure, the next time I build I'm using acme thread,its designed for this kind of work 00ac.jpg

4. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Tell us more about how you "dropped the widow down, put some big meat to her with your good-standing member . . ."

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Had to go deep with the tool, hadn't been greased in awhile.. knew it was right when she shivered like a dog shitting peach pits..

6. railcarmover

railcarmover

And this is why we cant have nice things, old shop hounds get to acting like goons.. hell I remember when the shop shit house was festooned with naked pictures, sprayed with borax and grease.

Old Dawg likes this.
  7. I thought I started drinking too early today
    Obviously I hadn’t drank enough to follow the last posts
    After a few more it might make sense

j

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

Well that certainly explains a lot, :) Working as a mechanic in bigger shops was a very interesting social environment, acceptance of social taboo was mandatory, any semblance of decorum was considered a weakness and exploited, the lowest common denominator, delivered correctly was prized.. an insult, regardless of level had to be dealt with panache, one could never show a sign of weakness or offense and survive the environment...oh and you better be able to carry your weight technically. Alas, those days are gone, done in by lawyers, HR departments and sensitivity training.. oh how this old soul longs for the friday afternoon goons, when the whole shop would cut loose..

Old Dawg likes this.
  9. pkhammer

pkhammer

This seems like a precarious place to break in but I'll take my chances. :eek: I am a long time Model A enthusiast but have never hot-rodded a banger. This seems like something I would really enjoy so I have started gathering some parts. I just acquired a block with freshly done babbitt, turned crank and cam, valves and pistons fitted. Right now I only have my '31 doodlebug (cut down sedan) but am looking for an open project like a Phaeton.
    Would like to run a B cam, downdraft carb, high compression (6:1) head, juice brakes, 16" '35 wheels and a full syncro trans. Any and all tips or advice appreciated.

10. pkhammer

pkhammer

11. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Welcome to the wonderful world of bangers!! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. There are plenty of parts out there to build a Phaeton or Roadster. For your engine set up I would suggest finding a distributor that has auto advance like a B Dist or mallory or even one of the FSI units. There are full syncro transmissions available from Mitchell that are bolt in or you could consider a T-5 swap or running a later V8 transmission with syncros in it. Mitchell also offers a full syncro overdrive unit that will allow you to run a bit faster on the highway but it retains stock transmission. Good Luck! you have found the right place for advice on bangers.

12. No shit, I miss those days too.
    We had an out house that had mandatory paint on the walls once a month, and the owner supplied markers and paint pens for everyone to participate.
    Education is where you find it.
    When asked, I tell, I attended the school of hard knocks, when asked where that is, I ask if their school offers rebates.
    They should apply.

On to Banger projects, I looked at a 427 SOHC head going together yesterday, yes the bottom will be girdled.

John

Jet96, Old Dawg and railcarmover like this.
  13. railcarmover

railcarmover

Wrapping up the rear spring install, on to rear brake floaters and a trip to the tire shop.. cash and carry, I hang my own rubber. The B blocks are on stands, they whisper at me when I walk by them but I stay strong and on task...for now..

Old Dawg likes this.
  14. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

Murray Horn just sent these photos to me of the harmonic damper he built for me. He put the grooves for the serpentine belt in it for a small extra charge.
    [​IMG]IMG_0033 by nomadpsd, on Flickr
    [​IMG]IMG_0032 by nomadpsd, on Flickr

Jet96 and waxhead like this.
  15. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Any info on these see he is in nz but couldnt find website

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Murray horn , engine restorations, Levin , NZ
    [email protected]

I don’t believe he has a webb site. He doesn’t need to advertise as he is always busy.

17. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

I just emailed him and told him what I wanted. I supplied the serpentine belt profile. Very reasonable considering it is a one-off.

Jet96 likes this.
  18. Nice looking unit
    Show us when installed
    J

19. Very interesting piece! I've never heard or seen a harmonic damper/crank pulley! I'm trying to get my aged "Pea Brain" around the physics surrounding such an animal!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  20. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

Most modern engines have this type of pulley/damper.

Old Dawg likes this.
  21. just found this, not your everyday Model B motor

J

Jet96, chriseakin, lowlight and 7 others like this.
  22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

All that sophisticated hardware and he still tunes it by ear. :)

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  23. railcarmover

railcarmover

Love it.."get outta the way junior while I time it by ear"

24. Yep, with an unknown motor combination that is all you have to go by.
    That was also about 325HP in the video.
    I do the same on my absorption unit, it save tons of time. Not to mention driveshafts...........

John

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Do you know at what RPM?

Is that Roy in the overalls?

26. It was about 6k and yes, that was Roy

Old Dawg and Crazydaddyo like this.
  27. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Wow John, Thanks for posting.

Yes Roy Creel expecting 400 Hp @ 6500 rpm subsequent video with explanation is here

not sure how to imbed the video so hope the link is okay.

Jet96, chriseakin, fourd and 4 others like this.
  28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , for those who have never experienced the "out house" , can not understand . my out house experience was in North Carolina . dead of the night , weather , weeds , water moccasins , phone book .
    quit the experience .................. that is the old way ......... steve

29. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Dang thats cool

winduptoy and BeaverMatt like this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Military Jeep air horns.
    The 'old skool' filter housings with the little K&N filters make too much of a restriction and the AFR reading on the Dyno really showed it. Dropped three points leaner after pulling them.
    Proof concept here and the hood still closed. I'll get some better air horns for the finished product.
    IMG_20201223_150650871.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020