Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Where you live - can you drive your Rod or Custom year round?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You actually see a lot of 50's cars out running around when it is cold or cooler in this area as long as the roads are good. One of my buds did have his chopped coupe out last Saturday when the sun was shining. Nice days in the upper 50's and great coupe weather.

2. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I echo what Vic said. I live in Anchorage as well and we are definitely done for several months.
    We got about 5" of snow in the last few days and now the temps are going up (40 degrees tomorrow). What a shit show.
    ANCHORAGE WEATHER IS TOTAL BS
    I guess we have plenty of time for tinkering over the next 5-6 months.
    NORM

3. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Here in Missouri it use to snow all winter long, and not melt for weeks. So I bought a big ass snow blower and we hardly ever get a snow the doesn't melt in a day or two. I hardly ever need to get the blower out in the last five or six years. I guess I shouldn't bitch...lol

4. In a word, NO! Unless you want to ruin your car during the winter. I hate winter so much it is ridiculous .

5. squirrel

squirrel

Of course we can drive them year round. It's kind of warm in the summer, and rains at times...and it's kind of cool in the winter. Spring and fall are best, but we can drive pretty much whenever we want.

6. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

When I lived in Philly I couldn't but now that I live in South Carolina I can drive my hot rod almost every day of the year.

jim snow, Lil32, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  7. Define 'year round'..... LOL. As several other NWesterners have noted, snow isn't usually an issue but rain is. As is ice on occasion. If you don't worry much about undercarriage/engine compartment cleanliness, that will up the number of available days.

Yep, those 10" wipers really suck......

chryslerfan55, Lil32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. partssaloon

partssaloon

Yes, we drive year round, hell, we haven't even had rain in 9 months.

38 Hump, Lil32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Definition for Year round - ''happening or continuing throughout the year.'' HRP

Center of the Galaxie and Lil32 like this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Have Driven Year Round In Idaho But Have Become Olde Just Like My Ride..... 15392890_1738059403185000_5265822778547521549_o.jpg

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Yup! Here at the Mermaid Capitol of the World, Weeki Wachee Florida on the Gulf of Mexico we Hot Rod 24-7-365.... there are thousands of Hot Rods around us.... that is why I built a home here 20 years ago and left the Ice and Snow behind.

Mermaids.jpg

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

All year around here on the SF Bay Area. I avoid the rain because it leaks.

Lil32 likes this.
  13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I drive my old cars on a regular basis all year in the Reno area. No doubt it snows here but really more of the problem is the sand they throw on the roads at the slightest chance of snow.

Lil32 and 61SuperMonza like this.
  14. Ahh, mermaids..... if you were married to one that talks alot, do you think you'd start to wish the top part of her was a fish and bottom part human?

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  15. Drive my car year round in Connecticut? Sure!

j3harleys, Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. We only get to drive for 12 months per year. Not much fun on a 43C day with no roof, and your can hear your brain sizzling through your sombrero.

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I live in Fairbanks,Alaska. Of course we can drive hot rods year round. Most don't though. We don't let weather stop us. Now ,this is no joke....on the way home from work tonight there was a couple of kids on the sidewalk with a hot chocolate stand .It was -3!

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

NaCl2!! So no.

Lil32 likes this.
  19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Where I am in Q'ld, we can drive our cars all year round; summer, autumn, winter and spring. None of that nasty salt or white stuff (Snow) to contend with, only water (rain).

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Mike

Mike

Lil32, chryslerfan55, AHotRod and 4 others like this.
  21. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Throughout my life I have driven my hot rods year around. That includes Wyoming, Utah, Oregon(dry side) and CA. I try to stay away from salt but didn't even worry much about that in years past. Now I worry more about me and the cold than the cars and the cold. Fortunately in the dry parts of the west the days can be comfortable even at the freezing level if the humidity is low and the sun is shining.

22. I live in SoCal, so we can drive all year round....unless it rains, of course. Drove my Merc daily, for over 10yrs. Then I got a Van with air cond, heater and wipers, hahaha

23. I drive my Coupe all the time and never see another old car, unless i'm in Huntington Beach or the city of Orange. Or, summertime....

24. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I can try to drive , but the cold and snow can be hard on an old man.

dec 2020 081.JPG

25. Why my other post was laughing at the thought! Here are some pictures from today. Last one is the side of my 2001 S-10 pickup, do you think they use salt around here? The first is from my front porch, about half the snow is gone since we have had a couple of days that got above freezing. Second is my pooch that loves the snow and cold. IMG_7557.JPG IMG_7559.JPG IMG_7558.JPG :eek:

26. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Not really, though I will get it out as long as its dry. The heat in an old car isn't quite what it is in a new car, so the heat takes the chill out and makes it comfortable, but not "no jacket" comfortable.

27. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even on a 20 degree February morning here, it's usually into the 40s or 50s in the afternoon. My biggest problem is the lack of a heater/defroster and wipers.

A couple Novembers ago, I drove the A coupe to work on a 35 degree morning. I drove uphill out of a creek bottom right into a thick fog that was rolling in. The windshield was instantly non-transparent. I hit the brakes and made it to the turning lane without anyone rear-ending me.

I still need to add a manual wiper...

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  28. CME1

CME1

Yesterday it was 56 degrees F out side, today it is 45 degrees F out side. I took my '40 out for a drive yesterday to get the oil's circulated. Most of the winter's we can drive some of the time. The picture is my drive way, just after clearing it, with a hand shovel. That was a couple years ago. Winter Jan 2016.jpg

Lil32, chryslerfan55 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. Micael Lundh 1961

Micael Lundh 1961

Hi! Up here in the northern part of Sweden itˋs hard to drive in the winter not just because of the snow and the cold temeratures, in the winter sometimes it gets below -30 celsius, but for the salted roads but then we get a lot of garage time but that dont means that we get a lot done but its nice to take a hobby car out on a sunny winterday. The picture is from last year I think it was Februari and the front of the Mercury coupe project wait outside. Micael Lund Umea Sweden 2BB101A6-461B-4CAB-8A43-6B70D60B2CEE.jpeg

30. As long as no snow or ice, I drive them. I do have a heater in all, though. :)

Lil32 likes this.