Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FRONT SUSPENSION

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by victor vasquez, Dec 21, 2020.

1. victor vasquez

victor vasquez

After selling my bagged truck. I purchased a 54 Ford Crestline Victoria and it’s my first classic build. Just wanted to see if anybody on here has bagged their 54 Crestline. Looking for advice and suggestions for doing the front. Is there any kits available? Should I just get a subframe kit? To be easier should I just lower the front and just bag the rear? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can’t talk bags here on this site. If lowering Moog Ford Aerostars gives about 2-2-1/2” and a good ride. Add Ford Granada spindles and it will be right at “geez this is low”. Most choose one or the other. Stock upper and lower A frames are pretty strong; but I would really check the integrity of the front crossover.

210superair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 on Jimmy's comments. The Aerostar's springs are a progressive coil, so little bumps are soft, big ones don't bottom out. They're fairly cheap, last I looked under $100. I used them to replace cut coils on the bird and they were a great improvement. The pass car guys say the same thing. Use those and dropped spindles you can probably push a full pack of cigarettes down the street. No speed bumps allowed. If the front crossmember has rust, you'll find out when you hit the speed bump or a driveway.

On the 55's you can also build a spacer for the lower spring pocket and lower it there. Not sure about 54. There's social group either here or on the barn that will know.

The Fords had pretty good front ends in those days. A little care in alignment by an old time guy is all you need. Aside from being off topic most front clips jobs are a lot of money or work for little gains.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. evintho

evintho

The front suspension on our cars are strong. '54 was the first year they went to ball joints. I say just rebuild the front and install Aerostar springs. I did and mine dropped about 2-1/2". Aerostar springs were $70 at RockAuto and I tapped these guys for a front end rebuild kit. Best price I've seen......
    Front end rebuild kit

For the rear, lowering blocks will do the trick. Also, check out the '52-'59 Ford Social Group here on the HAMB. It's targeted specifically to our cars.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Read up on here, lot of good examples of rebuilt static drop suspensions, without front clip or bags.
    If you just wanna lay frame, no matter what, youll do what you do. Check your ground clearance and wheel well area, may be a lot more fab work to get it that low.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I put bags in my Shoebox when I take it to the grocery store.

bondojunkie and chop job like this.
  7. Granada dropped spindles and Aerostar springs will work well. Save your $ for an upgraded rear axle. Parts for the original one are almost non existent. I used a V8 Maverick rear in mine. The spring perches need to be moved in a little, but with the drop you will have to change the pinion angle anyway.

chop job likes this.
  8. Cad tramp

Cad tramp

Great insight on this thread. I’m new to this site but dig the skill set here.

bondojunkie likes this.
  9. victor vasquez

victor vasquez

By any chance would you have a link to those spindles

10. Sorry, mine were a swap meet find