Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Today was a good day...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by five-oh, Jun 29, 2019.

1. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

sam floor bedliner.jpg
    Spent a bit of time this morning putting bed liner over the floorboards. Seam sealed all the joints first, then a heavy coat of the bed liner material. Had to do a bit of work on the transmission cover, as the toe board where it connected was bent up pretty bad, but we got it all connected. I really don't expect to have to pull out the cover, so I went ahead and seam sealed it and painted over it as well. If we have to in the future, we can cut the sealer and rubber material easily.
    All in all, it'll work. And instead of spending $100 for a floor mat, I went to lowes and bought a 7 foot length of the ribbed black carpet runner for $20. It measures around 2 foot wide, so it should cover as much as the mat would have. I just need to make the cut outs for the gear shift and pedals. We will get to that later when the floor pan is dry and it's a bit warmer out. My little shop is too small to move around much with the truck doors open.

2. Sorry to read about your friend Sam passing but otherwise it's a great story! I have always liked those A.D.'s, I just hope that Sam and Rusty are getting along. I am subscribed to this now so I'll be able to follow along...

five-oh likes this.
  3. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Today, I am quarantined because the wife has made acquaintance with that Chinese flu. I suspect I have as well, just by virtue of being around her, but so far, day 6 of quarantine and the worst symptom I have experienced is not being able to taste my food in the manner I would like. But, when I realized I was going to be home-bound, I smartly ordered online from my dealer, so I would have something to get by with so I wouldn't go insane (er). Is that a word?
    Classic parts sent me a precut jute padding, set of cardboard kickpanels, a new accelerator pedal, a rubber shifter boot I promptly tore, and for the first time in 30 years- a choke knob to replace the vice-grips.
    My friend Porter, who has observed from a distance with overall approval, lost it on this. "You're killin' the essence of Sam!" He exploded. "Them there vice grips belong on the dash!" I promised him when Sam comes to visit Okie Land, I'll put 'em somewhere he can find 'em.
    Meanwhile, being a cheapskate, I had purchased black rubber stair runner material, reasoning the rubber was rubber and $20 beat the heck outta $120 for the reproduction mat. But- the rubber material is thick and doesn't lay as well as I'd like, so when Mama loses the checkbook again, I'll likely order the real thing.
    Oh and I dug out the set of pedal pads I'd picked up a couple of years ago- while Porter still owned Sam, somehow I just knew eventually he'd come home- and put them on too. sam floor2.jpg samfloor3.jpg
    I then was bad. I figured, I didn't have symptoms....no one would be in contact with me....and I couldn't resist one quick dash down the road, for the first time ever in Sam that I wasn't hoping I wouldn't fall through the floors.
    It was glorious. I can hear myself think, and when the cell phone slid off the seat, I didn't even swerve, knowing it would be there when I stopped.
    Now, if the fed ex dude will deliver my paint- stupid having to order paint online when I could pick it up 10 miles away- I'll go to work on painting inside the cab.
    This thing is the most addictive vehicle I've ever owned, and that's coming from an idiot that has owned six Corvettes and over 50 other vehicles in my life, counting Harleys.

4. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Been a few days since I posted. Winter weather has set in, and progress has slowed on Sam and the '46 as well. Between the planning stages for a small new shop, doing assorted honey dos, and lack of work space, to say nothing of money, we've had nothing much to report. One of the higher priced phases from what I could tell was going to be the gauges in the old truck. I wanted to stay stock appearing, but 12 volt. Easy to do, but even the repros on most sights had me shelling out $600+ bucks. I don't have that kinda fun money very often.
    Then I wandered by a Facebook AD truck group and happened to see a reply on someone's post about gauges. A guy from Washington state was saying he rebuilt them. Hmm, income tax return= a little cash I can bleed away.... I messaged him, and when he told me $400 shipped to me, I nearly burned up my paypal account to buy them. They came in today. Ironically, the rebuilder's name? Sam. Sam the gauge-man sent me pics during the construction and
    sent them well enough packed that they would not have been damaged if they'd been used for a wheel chock.
    These are beautiful. I can't wait to get my new speedometer cable and other assorted things in so I can install them. Probably the first time in 40 years the old truck will have a working speedo..

samnewgauge.jpg

5. Looking good!

five-oh and loudbang like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Speaking of that "flu," Bob, my brother David and his wife, who live on Petit Jean Mtn, both had it in November. My sister-in-law had very mild symptoms but did lose her sense of taste and smell. My brother was very sick, high fever, delirious, shakes, chills, vomiting, mental confusion, you name it, but he said the Lord was so good to him: He never lost his sense of taste and smell!

7. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

gaugeless dash.jpg Lord, this truck...is teaching me patience.
    I decided I would start pulling the old gauges. Four little nuts on the backside. No issue, right? Wrong. I twisted into pretzel like shapes to get to them and finally got them out.
    In doing so, I have apparently disconnected a wire somewhere, because now I have no power to anything. I'll find it sooner than later.
    Meanwhile, I'd ordered some stuff from Classic Parts because they ship fast. I needed an adapter for the water temperature gauge. Since I was ordering, what the heck, might as well order some of the odds and ends we need, such as a replacement door handle, and take advantage of the single shipping charge. The original apparently exited through the floorboard prior to that repair...
    Of course, that would come back to bite me. They are back ordered. And instead of sending me the rest of the order, they apparently were going to wait forever to get them back in stock. I finally emailed and told them to take it off my order and send me everything else because I need that adapter..
    Oh and I thought I'd spray the gauge area of the dash and touch it up. Promptly grabbed the wrong paint and made it look terrible. I had to go back to town to get the correct paint. At this point- I calmly closed the truck door and went inside. I've been here before. It usually ends with me throwing things and having to buy replacements. Not today.
    One step at a time....and patience.

8. Patience grasshopper!

five-oh and arkiehotrods like this.
  9. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Patience is not one of my virtues. LOL
    But I started working on the old truck again today. I'd discovered that the wiring was mostly in good shape, but there were a couple of wires I wanted to replace. I should've just bought a wiring harness in all likelihood. What started as " I have my soldering iron, plenty of wire, and heat shrink, I'll just replace this ONE wire".... turned into "Order a new headlamp switch, rebuild/replace every wire inside the cab, replace all the blown 6 volt dash lamp bulbs, replace the ignition switch, oh, and while you're at it- replace the wiring from the ignition switch to the starter"
    But, finally, we have this:
    installed gauges.jpg

First time in over 40 years I know for it to have a working speedometer and dash lights.
    I still have to screw the temperature sender into the head- it got dark on me tonight- and connect the fuel gauge sender.
    Oh, and thanks to the rear gear swap, I have to replace the speedometer gear or buy an adapter.
    Right now, it reads 35mph at 55mph...
    Still, it is visible progress, and now I don't have to worry about the truck burning down. And the only injury I sustained from today was a cut on my ear- how that happened I have no idea, but since this old truck typically requires a blood sacrifice each time you work on it, I won't complain too loud. I'll just consider it a love bite. LOL

302GMC, chryslerfan55 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  10. Those gauges look great!
    Too bad the floor mat didn't work out. I also have a hard time shelling out $$'s when a cheaper alternative might work. :)

11. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Really happy to report that all the gauges now work like they are supposed to. Had a bit of an air pocket that took some time to bleed out on the temperature gauge but it works great now.
    Now to get the interior cab light switch rebuilt and every one of Sam's luxurious interior appointments will be functional. .pending-1616453574-20210315_173247~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G996U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well, between stimulus and tax refund, Mama let me spend a bit on Sam. I've had parts gradually coming in this week when we got back from vacation. While I have the actual floor mat laying out to get the wrinkles out of it, hopefully to install tomorrow, I have managed to improve Sam a little. From this, last night:
    Sam old interior.jpg

To this, today:
    Sam new interior (4).jpg
    Like everything on this old truck, it's not show quality, but much better than it was.
    And, I got to go over to a good friend's house, show him the improvements, and spend some time cruising backroads with him. He praised the change in Sam, and has agreed to help me do something I've been dreading- changing out the windshield and other glass.
    Little by little, the old truck is improving.

13. ...this is one of the most enjoyable threads on the HAMB,...love yer truck, but I couldn't paint it myself....

14. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

This is kinda why there will be paint. In 2007, when I bought the old truck originally from Mr Sam, this is what it looked like:
    Sam2007.jpg

Sam's son remembers the old truck in its factory green when he was a kid in the 60s- sometime in the 80's I vaguely remember it wearing the gray shown in part here. (I also remember it having the late 70's full cover Chevrolet C10 hubcaps too, with the little fake lug nuts, which I can't do. LOL)
    Point is, if you look at it today as it sits, the deterioration is obvious.
    Samstore.jpg

While I like a patina'd truck if it is modified, on one that is stockish as Sam, I personally want it a little shiny, and more importantly, I want it to be around for years to come. If I am blessed with grandkids in the future, I'd love to pass the old guy down to them. In order to do that, I gotta stop the rust/cancer. So it'll get a do-it-myself paint job that will be able to be picked apart by everyone, but that will hopefully look good from 20 feet or so. That, and the new shop that is being built for it and Rusty the '46 to be housed in, should contribute to it being around for many more years. And patina? Well, the way I intend to drive it, the "new paint" will develop some true patina, not rust, soon enough.
    By the way- New REAL floor mat is in; floor mat.jpg
    And, at the expense of a badly cut thumb, new vent glass and rubber on the passenger side is in too.
    door glass.jpg

alanp561, loudbang, Papas32 and 2 others like this.
  15. Ouch! I hope your thumb heals up well. I still need to replace my vent seals and glass. I'm not looking forward to that.
    Yours came out nice!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well, today Sam's former owner/traitor/person who will inherit Sam if he outlives me came over to visit. He had to take a drive in Sam. When he had Sam, Sam had a cranky transmission, a bad exhaust leak, questionable brakes, no gauges, no floors, and a seat that let springs prod you into action on every bump.
    Now, the pic today shows that the passenger door needs work and the blue wire showing is for the dome light I'm working on repairing. After all of that, the headliner needs installed too..
    but it's still way more drivable and enjoyable than when he had him.
    At least it was after Sam got over being mad. I had to jump Sam due to a low battery, and Mini made it all of a block before he killed Sam. Had to hike back and jump Sam again. Sam then decided Mini was properly sorry for selling him and allowed Jeremy to see how much I'd improved him.
    Mini also brought over a much needed part- the strips and speaker grill for Sam.
    jermandsam.jpg
    samdash.jpg
    Better.
    And at the risk of possibly getting this post deleted...
    Sam spent many years on the farm as we've related. One of his farm mates was a '52 Ford pick up that wound up in the field with a dead Merc Flathead.
    My pastor was desiring one very much and his wife, with the help of myself talking Farmer Sam out of it and his sons dragging it home, bought it for him several years ago (like eight or ten years ago).
    We have put it together- well, I've held wrenches and done a little- to his specs. He is not traditional, and being a mechanic of over 50 years, told me plainly he'd had more antiques than he wanted to work on , and he wanted modern power. So under the hood is a none hamb friendly popular engine that once provided power for a large Chevrolet people-mover soccer mom mobile of '08 vintage and his choice in wheels aren't really mine. The Merc engine, despite my scheming, wound up going down the road after some Nosey Nancy on the way to the local Petit Jean Car Show stopped, saw it, and carried it off after waving longwheel base tens at my pastor. I did keep the stock wheels and front and rear axles. I read somewhere that F1 parts can be used for a juice brake conversion on a Model A. I figured while I don't have a Model A, I MIGHT someday and I needed to grab the parts. This mentality is why my wife thinks I am Fred Sanford's whiter re-incarnation.
    Anyway, Pastor called and asked me to help out last night. I took over my Turbine Paint system and sprayed some Tractor Supply Clear on Fred the '52. fred shiny.jpg
    I figured it's practice for real paint jobs, and I need practice. I kinda like the way the old ride looks though. If I owned it, it'd have different wheels, and a bit of a height adjustment.
    And that's the way my weekend has went. Pretty decent.

17. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Not much to report...put in the weather stripping on the driver's side vent window. I figured out that Sam's domelight switch was history. Ebay showed a replacement switch for $20. I bought it sine my housing and lens were in good shape. Don't do that. It doesn't fit at all. I used the trusty file, until I got mad at the stupid thing, threw it across the room, and ordered a reproduction dome light assembly.
    Replacing small parts is not for those thick of hand and short of temper.
    Today it came in. Now we have a dome light for the first time in 40 years and the housing matched the Rustoleum Hammertone perfectly. sam dome light.jpg
    Now, if the shop building I ordered will hurry up and come in, I can resume work more in depth.
    I've been sidetracked with life and the small shop (24x30) I am building so my beloved money pits can be protected. Concrete is high. Shoot, I coulda replaced ALL of Sam's bad sheet metal, and paid someone to paint him for what this simple shop is costing. But, when it is done, I will have a haven to run to in bad weather to work on Sam and any other projects that might appear... it was difficult though to not order some repop fenders yet...

18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

It's another babybstep, and yes, I'll have to take it off when we start the bodywork in earnest. But I managed to get the old mirror base that had been broken for all of my memory off the truck and bolted a nice reproduction mirror up. Now maybe I won't run over someone switching lanes.
    It was a toss up- at some point the old truck had a set of west coast style mirrors judging by some of the holes. But I'm not a huge fan of them so we went with the stock round mirror.
    Also, I've ordered windshield and back glass rubbers. When they come in, we will likely have the local one stop glass shop cut some new glass and install it. His prices are cheap enough to pay him to do the job rather than buy the glass and risk breaking it or cutting myself to pieces. After that is done, I can finish the headliner install, mount the last door panel, and move to the outside....
    20210517_181358.jpeg FB_IMG_1621293664618.jpeg

19. Lookin' good!

20. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Over the past few days, I've been sanding some on the old truck's hood. Kinda stalled out on easy projects- I have a speedometer correction adapter (not sure what to call it) on the way to fix the speedometer and have been waiting a couple weeks for backordered windshield and rear glass rubber.
    I'm a creature of habit and order from the same places, and this time it bit me because they didn't let me know it was backordered for a few days. This slowed down the intended glass installation.
    In the meantime, I figured I needed to spray some primer to stop the flash rusting and I really need to get the area around the windshield primed and painted. The thing rusts nearly as fast as I can sand it.
    I'd ordered a new primer jet for the turbine paint rig, bought a gallon of cheap primer and away we go....Just to discover that my boneheaded self didn't change the tip on the gun.
    It looked like alligator skin.
    Fortunately, it laid out pretty smooth when it dried and it will of course be sanded again. And again likely. But for now- it's a step..
    I told a friend who is building another of these trucks that paint is like voodoo to me.
    But I'm learning, and I'm sure it looks like I'm doing a witchdoctor dance trying to get it done. 20210528_202939.jpeg 20210528_201403.jpeg

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  21. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Had a good friend come over today. Just in time: I'd gotten the speedometer adapter in and Sam needed a test drive. The old guy was stubborn though and wouldn't start. We determined the old coil- Lord only knows how old it was- had decided it no longer wanted to play. We ran to town to the parts store and now we have SPEED parts-
    coil.jpg

I told Robert ( my friend) that the sticker added 20 hp. Then, when we installed it, the mounting bracket hid the sticker.
    And I discovered I lost the gas cap- second since I brought Sam home- so we had to run to town and get a gas cap. And, since we were on the road, we wound up going and checking out an AD Cabover I've been stalking, and a couple of AD buses that are hidden from the general public that I intend to drag home sometime.
    That done, I drove Robert by the farm Sam came from, and got a nice surprise. The one daughter of Mr. Sam that I had not met yet in person was at the farm. She teared up, asking me "Do you have my Daddy in that old truck?" and laughed. She told stories of Mr. Sam, and said that she was reasonably sure that Sam was the truck her Daddy had taught her to drive in. She asked for a photo, and had a grand time checking the ashtray of the old truck, and sitting behind the wheel. She declined to drive it for now though. She liked the progress on the truck and can't wait to see it when we get it in paint.
    20210529_133825.jpg
    She said it made her day knowing the old truck was being loved, and thanked me for bringing it "back home to visit".
    The old truck is fun, and I love it, both for what it is and the memories- but seeing the smiles and memories it triggers for other people makes it even more worthwhile. Ms. Lisa shared that her mother, Ms. Charlene, has really taken a turn for the worse and they expect her life is measured in days now. The old truck and its memories seemed to be a bit sweeter this day for her.
    Yep- it was a good day.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  22. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Respectfully, could I suggest that if you're not tied up with work or other commitments, when Ms Charlene passes you could maybe try to attend her funeral in Sam the pickup, I'm sure the family would feel farmer Sam was there in spirit.

23. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

That'll definitely be considered, especially if they have her funeral here locally. Currently she lives about 50 to 75 miles away, so I'm not sure where the event would be. If I can, though, I likely will.
    I don't know though- she may haunt me if I do. LOL. She had a personal crusade for many years to get Mr. Sam to move Sam the 52 out of her yard where he liked to park the old guy down to the barn, slightly further out of sight. :)

mrquickwhip and loudbang like this.
  24. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Intentions for this weekend were to get the cowl, area surrounding the windshield, and cab above the belt line stripped and primered, but the weather put a stop to most of that.
    I did get this area stripped, and began filling the slight ding in with body filler.. 20210605_101210.jpg
    Apparently, someone took a potshot at the old guy. I'm assuming it was without Mr Sam in it.
    It'd be nice if the truck could talk and tell the tale.
    Oh, and we had to test fit the newest piece of jewelry to come in. It won't be mounted until paint, but ya gotta test it out: 20210605_162044.jpg
    When I tried to remove the "patina" emblem, it was so stubborn I wound up using a Drexel and cutting it off. There was also about a pound of decaying pine needles behind it, and I don't know how it didn't rust through the hood. The pines Sam would have been parked under have been gone for 20 years, so I guess they were history in and of themselves.
    I thought to take the old emblem and set it aside for a possible shadow box ,but my nearly 15 year old gearhead daughter grabbed it and informed me she had plans for it.
    And, we got the windshield and back glass gaskets in. I went by the local glass shop, and if all goes well, next Friday, old Sam will be sporting new glass in the front and back.
    And yes, I know I probably should remove the glass and paint before having new glass put in, but the actual paint is a ways down the road. I'll just have to be very good at taping it off.

302GMC and loudbang like this.
  25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Bob, I am sure enjoying this thread. You are a gifted writer/storyteller.

five-oh and loudbang like this.
  26. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I appreciate that. I actually enjoy writing. I'm simultaneously keeping a word document a bit more fleshed out with the personal antidotes, memories, etc. on my computer as I redo the old guy. My goal is to assemble it, along with pictures of the redo, the farm, Mr. Sam, and the grocery and have 10 or 12 copies printed at a "publish your own book" site when it is done. I'll keep one for myself, give a copy to each of Mr. Sam's kids if they want, and one to Preacher Porter. May throw one vacuum sealed in the old truck somewhere, so future caretakers know a bit about it. I'm sure it wouldn't sell commercially, but for those that wind up with the old truck, it might mean something.
    I did something similar for my uncle when we took our three day jaunt on Rt 66 a few years ago. He loved it, and counts it as one of the best gifts I could've given him, since every time he opens it, it takes him back to a very enjoyable time.

Atwater Mike, loudbang and charleyw like this.
  27. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Well.. rushing a bit today, which kinda bit me. Trying to get the cowl/upper cab primed before taking it to the glass shop tomorrow.
    I did alot of sanding and smoothed out some small love dings in the cab this week, and today, I taped it off to spray the primer.
    Major malfunction- had an issue with the spray gun which turned out to be simple, and I thinned it a bit much. This turbine paint sprayer has a definite learning curve.
    The grill came out with a couple of issues I'll tackle tomorrow: 20210615_201648.jpg
    The cab....lord, flow checks galore.
    But it'll be tomorrow before it is dry enough to sand without gumming up the paper. I'll sand it in the morning, go to the Petit Jean Swap Meet, then I'll come home and hopefully have time to spray it before we go to the glass shop tomorrow evening. If not, it'll be at the shop in all its multi hued sanded glory, runs and all. 20210615_201655.jpg

loudbang and norms30a like this.
  28. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

The day started with a trip to the Petit Jean Swap Meet. It was a day of good and bad- good for Sam, bad for my wallet. Very Bad.
    I usually head to the swap meet with a couple hundred bucks and limit myself to grabbing small unimportant things. Typically, I go home with nearly as much money as I came with. The swap Meet is more about friends and fellowship than anything for me, especially since my favorite uncle comes in from out of state just to spend the time with me and search for his holy grail, an unmolested six cylinder three speed 64 to 66 Chevy truck.
    He's looked for the past ten years without finding one due to them being rusted out or stuffed with a V8.
    We met up today on the mountain and began prowling through the Meet. On a little table about half way in I glanced, then nearly stroked out. 235 parts! Now, I had zero inclination to tinker with the good running little 235 in Sam. It did all it was supposed to do. But when God smiles on you by showing potential vintage speed parts for an inline six, well, it'd be sacrilegious to not respond...wouldn't it?
    I looked at the Mcgurk three carb'd log intake wistfully, but at over $700 bones it was way out of our grasp. But this....well...it called my name. It TOLD me to bring it home...so I did. 20210617_215215.jpg
    Now this vintage piece was a deal for me, based on what I was told by knowledgeable 235 friends and ebay sales. But we all know it will cost much more than the initial purchase price.
    After all, who could put that lovely intake on a stock 235? And it'll have to have headers- I very well may buy them tomorrow, since I found a set of vintage Fentons on a table. And who could do all that without a finned valve cover, and assorted dress up parts?!? Yeah, this maybe very expensive...
    Meanwhile, the glass guy called. A $250 ransom later and I picked this up:
    20210617_131548.jpg
    20210617_131505.jpg
    Nice, new glass with no bubbles or cloudiness!
    The glass guy didn't speak kindly of Sam. Seems the old guy made him work for his coins.
    Now... there's two days left of the swap meet. My wallet is crying after today and worried about what I might find tomorrow. Me, Lord, I am happy.

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That sounds to me like you had a pretty much perfect day!

flux capacitor and loudbang like this.