Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Had a good laugh! ( a lesson learned!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Dec 9, 2020.

1. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I have it. 25 years ago my wife was a school nurse in a small Arkansas town and the school library had boxes of old books they were going to throw away. She browsed through the boxes, spotted this one and snagged it for me, thinking I might want it. She thought correctly; I had read it in Jr High 25 years before.

The Felsen books are available on eBay, from originals to later printings to reprints, including the 1990 boxed set ( I have that set also) as well as the books reprinted by Felsen's daughter Holly Felsen Welch, who is also a member of the HAMB. @hjfelsen

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Show us a picture of the Holly reprints. Are they still available?

3. I checked , @hjfelsen hasn't been on here since 2016... was hoping maybe she was active and see about reprints to buy..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Moriarity likes this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, oh ! Someone just might have shit in his messkit ! The term "streetrod" is a pariah on this here website ! LOL.

5. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope that coupe that flipped into a ditch wasn't the one in Giant Gilamonster where the couple was eaten ! LOL, I think.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a statute of limitations on books misappropriated from libraries in the lower 48 states as of Nov. 7, 1995 ! When did you steal it ?

Fisher400 likes this.
  7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Henry Gregor Felsen's daughter Holly Felsen Welch has the rights to her dad's book. In 2010 Holly started reprinting the books. She advertised that she was looking for a 32 coupe to use on cover of the reprinted Hot Rod book. I saw the ad and got her hooked up with Matt Sullivan. We spent an entire day with Holly as she took photos of Matt's survivor 32 coupe all over the Des Moines area. Holly has not been on the HAMB for awhile as she is dealing with some health issues. I don't believe she sells the new reprint books direct any longer but they are still available through Amazon These are the covers of Holly's six reprinted books.

HGF reprint set.jpg

8. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a few copies of Henry Gregor Felsen's books. And since this photo was taken I have actually added a few more.

10.jpg

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looks like they are available on ebay by Holly herself, I am going to send her a msg there about this thread
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Henry-Greg...1147633513?hash=item4175b46f69:i:281147633513

alanp561 and arkiehotrods like this.
  10. mountainman2

mountainman2

Reprints also available from Amazon

11. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update- I talked to Holly this morning. You can still buy the reprint books directly from Holly through her www.henrygregorfelsen.com website. You can also buy the books through ebay and through Amazon. If you want the book personalized buy through the website. If you just want to buy the books she prefers that you buy through Amazon. And health wise she is doing a lot better!

David Gersic and Budget36 like this.
  12. May need to make these my Christmas present ... Thanks guys.. I will check her website, personalized would be great.

13. Mike

Mike

I recently read an add on Craigslist with a lengthy, detailed description that at one point read "no mechanical issues" and further down in the description read "car does not run".

bchctybob, X-cpe and j3harleys like this.
  14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Just tried to go to her website, it comes up as a domain that is available.

In researching Felsen I came across this picture of him working on a car. Thought it was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    and this one.
    [​IMG]

15. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just tried it and it opens for me. The books are in the Store tab on the www.henrygregorfelsen.com website.

16. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

IMG_1189.JPG This thread made me look for my copy. Writing is good... no Dostoyevsky but he wouldn’t have know much about hot rodding/street rodding anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bowie likes this.
  17. woodscaper

woodscaper

henrygregorfelsen.com is a bad link, felsenink.com is a good link to his daughter's website that has the books.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I was always told my by Wonderful Dad , if you think things are bad and look bleak for you , take a ride to cemetery or by the county farm during work details . It always made me realize , it really is as bad as you make it for yourself . I have a sign that hung over my tool box for years . It said “ I have done the best as I’m humanly possible to do for you . If you would like to complain , please step to the rear on the line at our complain officers , office her name is Helen Waite . So just proceed to Helen Waite for all your complaints , please . “

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. birdman1

birdman1

What a bunch of dorks! I was "reading" playboy instead of poorly written car books.

Fisher400 likes this.
  20. I have definitive, photographic proof so now there should be no confusion of terminology.

In the east, if you see a vehicle that looks like this officially sanctioned type...... It's a "street rod".
    streetrod.jpg
    According to California, the foremost authority, Street Rods appear to be " coupes, sedans, and roadsters"........
    streetrodz.jpg

You don't have to thank me. I'm glad I could help. :D :rolleyes:

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

I started become aware of hot rods early on (1950's), but I don't recall ever seeing a "street rod" reference. I guess I was just not that immersed & I'm surprised to see all of those early references. That all makes me feel a bit better, because the Pennsylvania license plates for the hand built cars of this nature has the word "street" rod on it. I many times thought of changing the "street" to "hot," but I didn't want to get hassled by the "man."

IMG_6810.jpg

22. I'm a little late to the conversation, but the first thing I got out of the ad, made me wonder what calibre?
    50? 20mm will leave a mark.
    Bob

23. I don't know if you're making a joke, but there are multiple definitions of the word 'caliber'. For your edification:
    From dictionary.com:
    Caliber
    noun
    1. the diameter of something of circular section, especially that of the inside of a tube: a pipe of three-inch caliber.
    2. Ordnance. the diameter of the bore of a gun taken as a unit of measurement.
    3. degree of capacity or competence; ability: a mathematician of high caliber.
    4. degree of merit or excellence; quality: the high moral caliber of the era.

24. sdluck

sdluck

Perfect

bowie likes this.
  25. Got my popcorn ready! :D

26. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's interesting because when I click the highlighted henrygregorfelsen.com in your post it takes me directly to that website. And when I click the STORE tab on that page it redirects me to Felsen Ink where you can place an order.

Blue One and Moriarity like this.
  27. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I remember when PA first issued that tag with the t-roadster. At that time Pa still required fenders and bumpers on cars... then they issued new tags showing a roadster without any of those things!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RICH B likes this.
  28. woodscaper

woodscaper

I don't know, all I know is that it takes me to the godaddy ad page?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  29. Holly invited my brother to DesMoines for the car show she puts on every year. I got invited too and Holly put us up at her house, I saw her 'glass deuce roadster in the garage and she said it needed a little tune work so Scotty and I cruised at around the neighborhood and reset float level...needed a new vega steering box but we ran outta time. She's a nice lady. Hollyfelsenweachdeuce.jpg

tb33anda3rd and lurker mick like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Screenshot_20201222-124950_Chrome.jpg

:rolleyes:...works fine for me...did you clic the link in Cabs post or did you type the address in?...if you typed it in perhaps it is a typo...

I just clicked the link...;)

It does work on mobile however it seems a desktop based site...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020