Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Hirohata Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Torchie

Torchie

For the custom fans the history of this car has been known for a while. It's great to see it all finally put together in one place.
    For those of you that are interested...
    Read The article about Bob and George Barris driving the car cross country to Indianapolis for a big custom car show. They made the trip right after they swapped in a Caddy OHV engine to replace the original flatty. If I remember correctly.
    I tried to find a link but couldn't come up with one.
    Torchie

drdave likes this.
  2. Rare photo of Bob, It was originally posted by Germ and he said I was from his private collection, it very well could be because I have never seen it before. HRP

IMG_20181201_154225_112.jpg

Outback, catdad49, 54delray and 8 others like this.
  3. Thats crazy!

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Germ is so full of shit. :)

5. The issue with digging into a murder like that, is you could put yourself in some danger by digging into it, if it was a professional job like has been suggested. Just a thought.

catdad49 and drdave like this.
  6. 50 Merc Man

50 Merc Man

Wow I never knew that!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Torchie, the article was in the October 1953 issue of Rod & Custom, called Kross Kountry in a Kustom.
    It was Bob's good friend Azzie Nishi (?) not George Barris that made the trip with Bob.

Mick

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Lead Ain't Dead

54delray, drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  9. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

This was the second time I've watched this video, and you're absolutely right, it's the best that has ever been done on custom cars. I didn't know much about the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA), but you should know that they did similar--equally good--documentaries on the Jesse Valadez "Gypsy Rose" '63/'64 Impala lowrider ("Chico and the Man") and on the classic Bob McGee '32 Roadster, including some fantastic photos of Bruce Meyer driving it through the SoCal mountains. The HVA also displayed each of these cars, in successive weeks, in a large glass "box" in the middle of the grass Mall in front of the White House in Wash. D.C. You should see all three videos.
    As for this one on the Hirohata Merc, I was happy to be part of it (even as much as I hate seeing and hearing myself on screen), but I was more proud to have been instrumental in the car's rediscovery and restoration, from start to finish, as well as its coverage and documentation, first in Rod & Custom, and then in The Rodder's Journal.
    But seeing this again doubly impresses upon me what a wonderfully talented, enthusiastic, unpretentious, genuine person Jim McNiel was (as was his wife, Sue). Both became very good friends of mine during this long process, and I am just so glad that they both were able to see, and fully enjoy and appreciate all it was, through to the podium at Pebble Beach. (Which very rightfully included Junior Conway, as well.) As you saw in the final credits, both Jim and Sue passed unexpectedly not long after this was finished.
    So I see this totally as a tribute to Jim McNiel, who saved it; who lovingly and impeccably restored it; and who shared it with people around the world. And secondly a tribute to George and Sam Barris, Frank Sonzogni, Hershel Conway, and Bob Hirohata who envisioned and built it in the first place, as well as helped restore it.
    Pat Ganahl

Outback, catdad49, 54delray and 26 others like this.
  10. I really love this video of the car. Does a good job on its history, but shows the love Jim had for the car. I really connect with Jim on that as its similar to how both my grandfather and I are with out attachment to Taboo and my word the year we got the car done at debuted at Portland, I was floored with everyone that remembered the car back when in was originally built and the stories told were amazing to listen to.

While I am not a big Merc fan, this is one of the few I have always liked, mainly from the chop top, the removal of the b pillar and the chrome sweeping frames built to replace them was something I have always been drawn to.

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

That's fuckin' nuts.

12. What happened to Dave Mann? I think the website is still up but abandoned.... 50258960-4217-40E0-818B-18520E80269E.jpeg.jpg

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Right... I wrote a post about the first letter I got back in 2012. I didn't post the letter, just my impression of the contents... Something like 20 minutes after it went live, I got an email from his attorney saying if I didn't take it down, they would come after me legally.

I forwarded that to my lawyer and I'm not sure what he did, but I never heard from that law office again. He's a relentless asshole, so I can only imagine...

Anyway, I continue to get letters from prison every now and then. Sometimes I throw them away without reading them and sometimes I read them. The tone of them is always the same. He lies a lot. He's incredibly narcissistic. And he loves to see his own words in print I think.

catdad49, chryslerfan55, Tman and 2 others like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not sure... I think we talked about the letter over the phone if I remember right? And I think he sent him more than one as well???

I remember one of Goodwin's make believe story lines was that the Vagos MC killed Thompson over gold or some shit like that... I mean, these letters are often long... like over 20 pages long...

15. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks,mick.
    Maybe it was all the K's that made me think it was Barris on the trip.LOL
    I'll have to look it up now.
    Torchie

54delray and loudbang like this.
  16. Torchie

Torchie

loudbang likes this.
  17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

What a great video, loved Jim’s enthusiasm for the car, towards the end when he looks at the car tells it all.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Due to the fact that Bob had the car built and he pretty much drove it to shows, cross country, and back and forth to work, it was Jim who took the vehicle under his wing, stored it for many years, never tired of the design element and workmanship is the real hero of the Hirohata Merc. You all know that building a car from the ground up is easier than tearing a car apart, repairing past mistakes, and getting all the many parts and elements working together again. I really enjoyed hearing him talk about the Hirohata Merc, and the way he was. I cannot image all of the stress coming from starting a family, short on funds, and paying current bills when sitting in your garage is pretty much the answer to your financial issues. In summery it was a good move for Pat of R&C to give Jim the kick in the pants.

19. George

George

That could be it!

loudbang likes this.
  20. jim snow

jim snow

Great story. My favorite custom. Someday I will see it in person. Snowman

loudbang likes this.
  21. Truth be told .. .. although I know nothing of Joe Nitti's murder in Las Vegas .. .. I will say both him & Hirohata had one thing in common, at one point.

Wait for it .. ..

.. both were parking lot operators in Los Angeles. Coincidence ??

< cue mysterious music >

I think not.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

The neat thing to is that Pats own purple 32 is a tribute of sorts to Joe Nitti's roadster and he was the one that did the research and wrote the artical about the car and his death. My two favorite Mercs of all time are the Hirohata and Jerry Titus's Green car that he had at the first Merc Duece reunion in 1979. They at are at opposite end's of the spectrum. Bobs being the ulitmate custom Merc of all time and Jerrys showed the heavy inspiration that Jerry and his brother Eldon received from the Wichita Style of Starbird and Cushenberry with radius wheel wells,wire wheels and big and little tire rake. Jim preserved Bobs style and Jerry and Eldon restyled Jerry's car to resemble a more traditional style for the first KKOA Spectacular. My 51 has styling clues from both cars as well as things I would have done to it had I had it in High school in 1971 and drawing my version on my note books when I should have been studying! lol Larry

23. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

I remember following the painstaking restoration in R&C, but was unaware of Jim's passing. All those involved are to be commended for saving a significant and beautiful piece of automotive art and history. IMHO, only the prettiest custom Merc ever. Some come close, but no cigar. What intestinal fortitude Jim must have had to go all those years with the ups and downs we all go through, and not sell the car. Stronger man than I. And if memory serves me from the R&C series, didn't Jim have a hot rod or two also?

24. I posted all three videos in @denis4x4's McGee Roadster, Hirohata Merc & Gypsy Rose on The Mall in DC thread:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  25. jivin jer

jivin jer

This stuff totally captured me and changed my life as a young teenager in northern Idaho in the 50's.
    I understand all the attempts to communicate something that has to be captured, savored and is a growing organic thing. It became a powerful part of my life that's lasted for almost 80 years now. I still feel the same way about it, it still has the power to mold and shape a life, for the better.

26. chiro

chiro

What a great video. Really sucks you in with the emotion of those guys. And the story is fabulous too.
    Andy

1929rats and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

A great video, like they say: You will never get tired of looking at it.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The car that turned me onto customs. I studied every pic of it in Rod and Custom while it was being restored. Truly artwork on wheels. Simple yet complex, smooth and flowing, everything a custom should be IMHO. Kudos to Pat and all the others that helped restore this classic.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Just had to get the 1/24 scale version 100_9564.JPG 100_9564.JPG

30. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

That's a really good video!

A bit of irony...if Jim would've lived just one more week, he would've passed away exactly 37 years to the day of when Bob died.

Bob Hirohata - May 14, 1981
    Jim McNiel - May 7, 2018

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.