Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs One Millionth Cadillac Built

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john W., Dec 1, 2020.

1. john W.

john W.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a beautiful, well restored automobile, but.......

The Hemmings ad says "In 1949 the one millionth Cadillac rolled off the production line, and the stunning Series 62 Club Coupe or Sedanette was born."

It does not say that this particular Cadillac automobile was the millionth one built.

I suspect that the asking price reflects the cost of having commissioned Borneman's Restorations and Customs in Pottstown, PA do a concours level factory correct restoration.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  3. I'm always a bit amused when I see these 'concours restorations' on mass-produced vehicles. Yes, they're fabulous but certainly don't represent reality. They're what the manufacturers would have you believe you're purchasing but that level of perfection was never achieved in actuality.

When I was still working in service stations in the late '60s I had a customer who was a big-time perfectionist. Everything he owned was detailed to the max; he had a early '50s Chevy refrigerated delivery truck converted to a camper that would have rivaled any current big $$$$ custom motorhome for fit/finish and quality of materials used if not features. His 'hunting rig', he towed an equally-detailed CJ2 behind it (he had 'Tonka' embossed into the tailgate!).

Pontiac had come out with the new-for-69 Gran Prix and he just had to have one. He ordered a top-of-the-line version ($6K plus) from the local dealer. He brought it in to show off shortly after he got it and it was a beautiful car with typical fit-and-finish for the time. But he wasn't happy with that aspect, said he was going back to the dealer to see if they'd address that. They wouldn't of course ('it meets all GM quality standards'), so he spent nearly the purchase price having virtually everything on the car refitted/refinished to meet his standards. Easily the nicest example I ever saw... I often wonder where his stuff ended up as he had no children and had never married.

4. Squablow

Squablow

VANDENPLAS and john W. like this.

5. A "concours restoration" on an assembly line car is like putting a gold frame on the Mona Lisa. While it might make the total package more expensive, it's still gonna be the same ol' Mona Lisa.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. john W.

john W.

The sellers must be smoking a hitherto unknown and unrecorded intoxicant/hallucinogen that has medical science in a quandary...

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. John, stop using all of those BIG words. You know we're just a bunch of Hoodlums on here..:D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D...;)..........Don.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. ratfink1956

ratfink1956
    from Sparks,NV

10. Budget36

Budget36

May just be me, but maybe Caddy # 0000001, may be worth a few bucks?

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

I wonder where #999,999 and #1,000,001 ended up?

12. Slyly? Some might even say deceptively. . . :p

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stan Back likes this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I don't remember those Coupes being so big -- or maybe those guys are all short.

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Could be anywhere. You'd never really know unless you knew the vin number of the millionth car. I really doubt it's 1000000.

16. Budget36

Budget36

Fun to think about tho;)

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Well I know that I don't have it. Lol

Budget36 likes this.
  18. southerncad

southerncad

WOW, didn't realize they were worth that much, :Dguess I should ask about $100K for mine:eek::D:p:p!

19. adam401

adam401

A mild chop that accentuates/ exagerates the rear slope of the roof and lower it 3". I like the color. We were talking about cutting it up right?

elnutty and texasred like this.
  20. john W.

john W.

Sorry Don, Ill translate.
    Them idiots must be smokin' chunks ah old tires, an no fancy degree sawbones is ever gonna help 'em!

lothiandon1940 likes this.