Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So, if you could build the dream shop what would you incorporate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Oh Brian,.... It has been a complete disaster many times.. It takes me longer to keep it clean than actually working.... right now its in a very bad state.....

flynbrian48 likes this.
  2. As an addition to what many have said, I want at least 3' around each piece of equipment to facilitate cleaning 360 degrees. The mill and lathe make plenty of messes. I would probably want a sliding petition to close off the clean and dirty areas when needed but to still allow access when needed. 60 x 100 would be a starter for everything I would want to encompass. Unfortunately, that could be about a $180 grand building once it had electrics and heat in it. One of my friends put up a good metal building about 2 years ago. I believe he told me it was $30 per square foot when finished. It does have a bathroom and 2 overhead doors only on one end. This is a 14 or 16 foot sidewall also. They used a laser level finisher on the floor. It is really nice. I think he told me that was almost 3 grand extra.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be thrilled with a) a level floor, b) heat, c) a two- or four-post lift.

RAT "T" likes this.
  4. I work on the theory that dirt and bondo dust protect all the other shop surfaces from paint overspray. Random success thus far.

rdscotty, Chicster and Boneyard51 like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That was our downfall when we built our 40x70 shop on the ranch yesrs ago! We put tons is rebar in it and hired a professional company to finish the concrete. I told them I wanted it level and smooth! And I paid for that! But all I got was smooth! Pissed me off , but I didn’t know it had highs and lows until after I paid them!

Bones

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sounds like you have a good plan, but take your shelves clear to the 12 ft ceiling and tie them into the walls and rafters! I have a item, I don’t know what you call it, but I picked it up years ago. It rolls around and has a mast and a platform. You crank the winch and it pulls the platform up to 12 feet or so! I just move it over to my shelves, load on my item , crank it up, use the ladder to scoot it over on the shelf!
    Stopping at 6/7 feet in a 12 ft ceiling , you loose a lot of free storage space, especially for thst item that’s purpose is down the road!

Bones

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That makes me feel much better!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jeff Norwell likes this.