Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods John DeLorean 1932 Ford Roadster ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paul55, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I get really tired of the guys calling others hoarders for never getting to realize their dream. Anyone that looked closely to that video could see that the family business went through a financially hard go, looking at the roofs condition, the jumper cable wiring then the devastation of father passing away before they could do the project they had hoped would come to fruition before they ran out of time and hope for better financial times. They obviously cared deeply for the car, looking at the desperate attempt to double cover it etc. On top of that people that love hotrod's are not all equal in financial abilities or opportunity. I guess there is some majic number of months or years that we are supposed to know we are never going to have things work out. The largest reason no one has any right to judge these people is that when someone possesses something, it is theirs and their decision to do what they want with it until they decide to turn loose of it. No one deserves any possession more than anyone else and everything is not forever on this earth people or things so no one is more capable than another to preserve anything past disappearing. The ones you are calling hoarders lost their dream through circumstance just as the ones with finances that could have completed the car if they had had the opportunity to obtain it. What makes either more deserving ? Matt has obtained this car because he seized the moment long after many of opportunities others had and he now has the right to do as he damn well please with it.
    OK I've vented now. Back to regular programming.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Hope that you learn the history. I'm very curious as to what engine, (or engines), trans combos were in it. With all of the Cad / LaSalle transmissions in the trunk, perhaps it either had an early Cadillac V8, or that was what was planned to be installed.

stillrunners and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Just watched Matt's newest video. Turns out it belonged to Jack DeLorean, brother of John and George. Cool 1954 ish photo from Jack Screenshot_20201211-151608_YouTube.jpg
    Car was from Los Angeles area early 50's.

alfin32, vtx1800, HEMI32 and 9 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

update video

HEMI32, bowie and Hotrodmyk like this.
  5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great story. I believe Matt is zeroing in on the history. Somebody knows something and it is going to come to light.

Tim likes this.
  6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

7. Hop2it

Hop2it

Have been watching your youtube channel since your free tee video series and I’m sure you will do this car justice and am glad you are going to be sympathetic to its history
    Doug

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Being able to contact Jack Delorean was great (and he sounded pretty sharp, too.) This car is cool enough there must be some photo documentation out there someplace from prior to when Jack bought it in 1954 - all you historians, check your files. :)

9. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Maybe change the title to "the jack delorean roadster"

IronTrap and jakespeed63 like this.
  10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Always figured it most likely came from Ca. I would say a mid-late 40's to early 50's build. Very cool!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    KKrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hitchhiker and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  13. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. AC Chapman

AC Chapman

If I knew where it was id scoop it up for ME.

15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Finally got a better photo of that Downriver Modified plaque and added it to a new page on my website for the Detroit Timing Assn ...

DownriverModified_DTA.jpg

OzMerc39 and Tim like this.
  16. Nice find Bill:)

17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was just surfing YouTube after work and I ran across this video posted by @IronTrap less than 13 hours ago :eek: on the last of the rust repair on the doors.

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

Thanks for the share! I finally have 99% of the stuff I need to put this car back together. Hoping to have the chassis and suspension all painted and back as a roller before snow flies. Goal is to have it “done” and driving for the Relix Riot in Michigan in August and stop along the way to show Jack and his family the car.

Irish Mike, Rj27buick, bowie and 11 others like this.
  19. KKrod

KKrod

The car definitely found the right owner in Matt. Great work at restoring all the sheet metal and floor! Not many people could have done that.

20. IronTrap

IronTrap

Got the chassis painted and the bottom of the body primed and coated in raptor. Should be good for another 90 years. Couple photos below that the Delorean family found this summer and sent me that I don’t think I ever posted. Gonna be kicking ass on this car this fall/winter. Stay tuned….

0B62A057-D03F-43C4-A4B7-6DC4EC31EEE1.jpeg 3D3AE3E0-99A6-449A-AA13-2963BF7A2420.jpeg
    5372E0CA-B106-443E-8CE8-4F9990EAEEDD.jpeg

alfin32, hotrodA, Irish Mike and 14 others like this.
  21. Well said mate!!!!

40two likes this.
  22. Matt
    I Just love this car and your approach to bringing it back to life with complresoect for its past and DeLorean himself.

OzMerc

23. Absolutely %

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great matt! Looking forward to the videos this winter :)

25. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Also like the approach & keeping it true to its roots.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And once again Carl demonstrates how much class he doesn’t have.

Fortunateson likes this.
  27. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I just found the video for those who don't subscribe to the channel, like me. :rolleyes:

28. IronTrap

IronTrap

Got the suspension all rebuilt and the body mounted last week.

Working on mounting fenders and running boards this week. It’s funny you can see that they had the fenders only on by 3-4 bolts each for easy removal when racing as the wheel wells in the back they had tarred over the holes and I had to poke them open to properly secure the fenders.

I’ve also been fighting the right front fender fitting. I believe it’s a really old aftermarket fender. Jack did mention that side had been messed up or banged up when he got it so probably was from an old fender bender. Who knows, it worked for them in the 50’s and I’ll make do. Just had to enlarge some holes and redrill one hole to allow you to actually fasten the fender with all the bolts/screws.

Hoping to start playing with paint blending techniques next week. Gotta pull a filled grill off the wall and get it painted to match. Might even do some CLR cleaning of the paint this week if I can steal time.
    00353EBF-A8B2-4CC6-9F23-4992534DF473.jpeg

alfin32, egads, KKrod and 14 others like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to seeing how the paint comes back. Seems Chris Swenson is a miracle worker with that stuff

30. Matt, I didn't know anything about you or your channel until this car led me there. Now I'm a fan! Really cool car, I like the direction you're taking it.

Tim and jim snow like this.