Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crisjr14, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

20201213_073448.jpg 20201213_071818.jpg 20201130_140713.jpg 20201203_094356.jpg I recently bought this '53 Dodge Meadowbrook 230 Flathead 6 with 6 volt and did a tune up points plugs rotor cap condenser wires electric fuel pump got it to run drove it a cpl days now I cant get to start checked coil no spark put new coil in and still no spark tested everything with my volt meter and I am getting 6volts from regulator another mini regulator looking piece mounted by the coil the coil itself but when I put the coil wire with a screwdriver on the block to see if I'm getting spark I get nothing attached is pictures of the parts I'm getting 6 volts please any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Could be a bad crimp.

3. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Ok so I'm really new to this older style car what is a bad crimp and where is it located please?

4. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Sorry nevermind I just realized what you meant

nochop likes this.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

If no spark at point's I'd say condenser..
    Just because it's new... Most likely from China

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Spend the money on a Echlin condenser from Napa. I have heard of people going through 10 condensers just to get one that worked more than 20 minutes. Make sure your distributor is grounding also, test with an ohm meter from the dist body to the negative terminal on the battery. Sometimes a bad ground can cause things like that also.

7. I had a 53 Chrysler and it was positive ground.
    Yours should be the same
    Battery hooked up correctly ?

8. Or a lack of punctuation...

adam401 and Stan Back like this.
  9. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Ok so I'm trying to understand if I am not getting spark from my coil but am reading 6 volts out of it wouldn't I need spark to my cap to my points and condenser to work properly or not? Also can someone please show me where my TDC mark should be on my harmonic pulley I already know about how to pull #1 & #6 plug and the little plug next to 6 and bring them up plus putting air into #1 to verify which one is compression and rotor at the 7 O' clock position and do my firing order that's how I got it to start the first time but now I am not getting anything as well to get it back at the 7 O'clock again

10. Please put your location in your profile as it can help people find out where you are located. Just be general like list the State and someone close can go from there. You need help and this site is where you will find it and some members will find you. DO NOT get frustrated. Slow down and take your time to learn. So far you're doing good.

11. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Thank you will update it now it is just blowing my mind as to what could have happened so quick

12. It is all good, just slow down and keep your horses in the barn. Try again with the condenser as mentioned as alot of the China ones are junk. Do not get one from an Auto Zone or like store but go to a NAPA as has been mentioned. Keep in mind, all it needs to run is; air, fuel, and spark. No spark = no run. So trouble shoot your way back from the spark plug through the plug wires, distributer cap, and so on, you will find it eventually. There is no plug in port to tell you what is wrong with it.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know some folks here don’t like it but the China crap is why I went to Pertronics.
    I think Jim (squirrel) has told us what value micro-farad capacitor to buy from an electronics store that will not fail but remember it will not look like a normal condenser.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

already been asked but you didn't answer are you running positive ground or negative ground are your cables hooked up correctly to the battery?

warhorseracing likes this.
  15. Hellfish

Hellfish

Good question, but he said he had it running and driving before the tune up. So, unless he swapped cables on the battery during the tune-up, that's not likely the problem

16. dwollam

dwollam

Might want to clean your points with electrical cleaner. If they had an oily protective coating on them from factory. They probably flashed over and now have a white residue on them.

Dave

Hnstray likes this.
  17. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Yes I am running positive ground and I have not switch any of the cables

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Ok so I went and got the Echlin points and condenser as I was told so I was attempting to put them on and I guess what every person's worst nightmare would be is to lose the screw while attempting to install that holds the points condenser and that clip together and I am going to hate to say this but I think it might have fell inside any pointers as to how am I going to retrieve it please I was doing my best not to lose it but unfortunately I did please someone tell me I'm not screwed or what needs to be done sorry to be bugging but just wanted to see if I could get it fired up again

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Sometime it's the simple stuff that trips us all up, it never hurts to check the basic.

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Pull the dizzy and give it a good shake over your work bench or use a thin bladed magnetic tip screw driver to poke around in there.......if worse comes to worse and you have to take it apart take LOTS of before and disassembly pictures to help you put it back together.
    Consider this your trial by fire......you can do it, I know you can.

osage orange likes this.
  21. Like Frankie47 says try a magnet first to retrieve the screw. All is not lost and you did not cost yourself a complete engine rebuild. If you have to remove the distributor, take a picture of it on TDC #1 and mark that spot. Use whatever, a paint pen, Sharpie and mark; the rotor, distributer housing, and engine. So when you re-assemble it they all have to line up again and save you some headaches. Remember SLOW. Take it easy and slow. You are learning and you have to walk before you run. You are doing great so far so keep it up.

22. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I sure as hell forgot about marking the dizzy before pulling it thanks if it is a flathead 6 it is a slotted style and is either right or wrong. no gear on the dizzy.@warhorseracing .

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    warhorseracing likes this.
  23. gatz

gatz

Short of pulling the dist., If you can see it down in there ( even if you can’t) try the magnet first.
    Those scribe type are fairly small, but have some pull to them.
    Then, if that doesn’t get it, try using a magnet on the side of a screwdriver and poke it around in there.
    Another tool that might come in handy if there’s enough room is a hemostat. HF sells the scribe & the hemo.

I can say from experience...... make sure to get that screw out.

Frankie47 and warhorseracing like this.
  24. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Old cars love to fight a guy every step of the way sometimes! Neat car though man. Hope you get it up and running again soon.

Frankie47 likes this.
  25. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Ok guys sorry for the late update so I was able to get everything in order got her fired back up now i am thinking that i might have to rebuild the carburetors they are carter ball and ball single one is a D6G1 the other is a DTC1 i was doing some research and found out something that might be bad so I am asking if anyone can help with pictures or links on how to rebuild those carbs as well my '53 has a OD handle but was told that it was disconnected at one point and does not need it but from what I seen on posts that the OD cable gets hooked up to one of the carburetor and how can I find out what transmission I have and what type of fluid to I need to use please any pictures or links to help me out please

26. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

Ok Gentlemen have another favor to asking any one can help me out I got the carburetor kits put in the '53 only problem is the carburetor mounting gasket where the carbs sit on the intake the gaskets came to thin in the kits and no auto parts can give me the specs on thickness and I dont want to order them and be wrong so my question is this is there anyone can tell me what mounting gasket I need as to part # the ones I took off I put back on and I am leaking gas like crazy between the intake and carburetors they are carter ball and ball downdrafts DTC1 and D6G1 the old ones are about 3mm thick and they look like the ones that have like metal in the material in other words really stiff and sturdy material also they gotta have these notches on the inside please any part # or where I can order them I would greatly app it thank you for taking your time to read and respond

Attached Files:

27. gatz

gatz

Sounds like your float setting is not to spec.
    Or something installed incorrectly at assembly.
    With a thin coat of sealer on the old gasket, it should get you by.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. Crisjr14

Crisjr14
    from Kelso,WA

So I should take them apart again and re check my settings I could have done it wrong first time attempting to kit them if you can direct me to any videos or illustrations to show me how to do the measurements on the float would be greatly appreciated it it totally had me baffled with the little L shaped so called gauge that came in the kit

29. gatz

gatz

Not sure what you mean by listing 2 carburetors.
    Are you running 2 carbs ? or are these your choices ?

Regardless, the kit should have had the measurements for the carb floats mentioned.
    According to this page which shows some of the Carter B&B applications,

https://www.allpar.com/threads/adjusting-the-carter-bb-carburetors.229064/

the D6G1 was used on a '46 - '48 Plymouth.

and the DTC1 shows up being used on Dodge trucks (may have been on cars too, IDK)

https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/TruckkitsD.htm

Here's a thread on another site about the DTC1 leaking;

https://p15-d24.com/topic/36710-ball-ball-dtc1-leak/
    Also a lot of advice & info on that page

You might find the info you need online or visit the p15-d24 website.
    If the settings and procedure are troublesome, I would suggest taking them to a good carb shop.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020