Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jeff Myers

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Jeff Myers

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Sucks, man. This thing is happening all too often. My thoughts go out to you as well as his friends and Family.

Okie Pete and jim snow like this.
  3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just thought of another Jeff Myers story...

I think it was 1998 or so... and Dennis McPhail was giving me my first and only tattoo... In fact, I think it was McPhail's first as well. I remember him practicing on a grapefruit before moving on to my arm. (For the record, he's now one of the best tattoo artists in the world) And we were doing this in the office of Mitch's body shop (and sometimes night club) in Wichita.

I was so nervous that I was shaking. I mean, I was surrounded by all of these older guys that I looked up to and desperately wanted to impress. Guys like McPhail, Mitch, Wild Bill, and Jeff... But I couldn't stop the shaking and they couldn't stop laughing at me.

About half way through the tattoo, a cross dressing prostitute walked into the office and asked if a bathroom was available. The complexity of the scene and the situation was about all I could take and just as I was about to give up the ghost and pass out, Jeff tapped me on my knee with his fist and said, "You're alright. Just hang in there."

His compassion for my dumb ass was incredibly touching. I didn't know him all that well at the time, but decided right then and there that we were gonna be pals. And we were. Jeff was easy.

54delray, Baron, jakespeed63 and 35 others like this.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

I had the privilege of attending a chop class at his shop in Arkansas City, KS back in 2019. What a class act Jeff was. He was a helluva guy and a great customizer. He taught a "side" course on frenching some antennas on the car we were working on.
    I visited with him at "Lead Aint Dead" a couple of months ago and I am so glad that I did. He was in good spirits and as always, was very engaging.

Jeff, thank you for the influence you had on my life and the things you taught me in the short time we were acquainted. God Speed!

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I met Jeff at Salina at the KKOA Lead Sled Spectacular.

He and Sancho were connected at the hip. Sancho introduced us. I was a little hesitant to talk with him, since I was new to the customs scene. He always had a crowd around him.

He spent an hour with myself and my wife just chatting about interiors etc. He made me feel like I was free to ask any questions. A lot of guys aren't approachable and have sort of a rock star attitude. Not so with Jeff Myers.

He will be missed by many.

7. Sadly, I just learned of his passing this morning. Although I only talked with him a few times, at both the "Stray Kat 500" & "Lead Ain't Dead" shows, he seemed like a very welcoming person and was always willing to talk customs. I know that he will be greatly missed. Thoughts and prayers to his family and many friends... R.i.p. Jeff

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    54delray, Okie Pete, drdave and 4 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Man, this is terrible news....The custom world lost an ambassador and a great guy

9. Oh man, I don't believe it! I had heard he was ill, but it sounded like he was doing well.
    I will miss watching him work at the Spectacular every year and seeing the neat customs he produced. Not the kind of news to start the day. We lost a good dude.
    My deepest condolences to Jeff's family and friends. He will be missed. Vaya con Dios Amigo. E

IMG_7200.JPG

54delray, Sprout, Okie Pete and 10 others like this.
  10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I saw Weesner posted this on IG. Hit me hard. His cars are instantly recognizable as a 'Jeff Myers' car. Clean, classy, subtle with just the right amount of 'hit' from a sledgehammer. I, too firmly belive that todays younger hot rodders and kustom kar guys will always look up to him as we have. RIP

11. So sorry to hear Jeff has passed away, he was a master of his craft and I know a huge loss for his many friends & family.

Much like the work of the old masters still hangs in museums Jeff's work will continue to be on display for many years to come, unlike the art work hanging on the walls his craftsmanship will be cruising the streets. HRP

12. Man, this sucks. I loved his work. I remember a conversation we had at the HAMB Drags in 05? He was kicking back in the hotel parking lot.

54delray and Okie Pete like this.
  13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Wow so sorry to hear this.

I've oogled over several of his cars over the years not knowing who they belonged to. I was especially enthralled with his blue "56 chevy. I took shots of it in that same spot at Jo's on SoCo.

Condolences to all those that knew him. Sounds like he was a great guy.

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

he is working Alex Gambino in pic -- Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

131926824_10224223691130376_2390729819054517431_o.jpg

Always a story behind the picture. I had the Blessing to be able to cruise to a show with Jeff, Danny Cuellar and Voodoo Jim. The four of us had a blast driving our kustoms all over backroads of Kansas. With in a few miles of the car show Jeff's fan broke apart on his Caddy and damaged the radiator. So the four of us were stuck along side the road waiting on a tow truck. We got out the chairs, ice chest and we had a great time talking about road trips along side a road in Kansas. Jeff taught me many lessons. One of them was you make your own fun. If you ae broke down along side the road, make the best of it. You have a choice..... Thanks Ryan for starting the Thread.

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Met and visited with him at Salina KKOA. Super nice guy. Bummer.

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No man... thank you for the best photo of Jeff I know of...

19. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

First met Jeff in person 20+ years ago when when he drove down from Kansas to buy a couple 324 Olds motors I had. Hell of a guy, always had time to visit at shows, bought and traded a few parts with him over the years.
    I agree, his name will be remembered as one of the legends. A very likable and approachable guy. 20190727_142609.jpeg 20190216_113356.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A516U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54delray, gsnort, Sprout and 8 others like this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Only met him once. He was checking out my in-progress-and-still-kinda-ugly Chrysler in a field of badass cars. After about five minutes of questions, he stopped talking and kinda scanned it one more time, then gave me a smile, a nod and a thumbs up. It's weird, but that left an impression on me. RIP Jeff Myers

20181110_202806.jpg

54delray, Moondog13, HEMI32 and 16 others like this.
  22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I also met him at the Spectacular, at the Hall of Famer's dinner. What a great guy. And super talented, too, as his cars attest. RIP, Jeff.

54delray, OG lil E, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  23. Sad news for sure when I heard it last night from 3 different friends. Jeff was a great guy and full of talent. One of the last times I was around him was when he was pouring water on the ground around Dr. Dave’s hammerhead shark he had just painted so it wouldn’t dry up. He was quite the ambassador in the kustom world and will be missed greatly. Praying for his family and close friends.

54delray, Okie Pete, RMONTY and 4 others like this.
  24. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Jeff was one of a kind. I too met him through Dennis McPhail, as they criss crossed the country going to shows. He couldn't have been nicer, more generous and genuine. Any time I would run into him, it was a good day. The Round Up, GNRS, Ventura, Paso Robles, Santa Maria and everywhere in between, always in a kustom showing off the Wichita Style. I'm extremely thankful to have called him a friend ... but damn am I going to miss him. Deepest condolences to his family, friends, loved ones and Beatnik brethren. A big loss for sure.

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

54delray, OG lil E, Okie Pete and 3 others like this.
  26. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never met him but sounded like a good one. RIP.

Okie Pete and straykatkustoms like this.
  27. That lead photo of Jeff on the road beside the Caddy is the perfect Jeff picture. As Mick said, always a story behind the pic.....and Jeff always had a story. Best story teller I've ever met. He always made it easy for guys like myself who are socially awkward and conversation doesn't come easy....just made us feel part of the group like we'd been best friends forever. I'm forever grateful for my time with him, the stories he shared, the sidesplitting laughter, the things he taught and the inspiration. Prayers and condolences to his family and friends....my heart is full for you guys today.

28. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

R.I.P. Rick Dore told me yesterday hospitals can be good and bad. Appreciated his work.

29. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

I just can’t believe he’s gone. My heart goes out to his family and friends. Such a huge loss to the car world.
    Here’s a wagon Jeff painted for me a few years back. I just dropped it off, we had a short conversation about color and I left the rest up to him. He just got it, that old school custom thing that’s so rare. God Speed Jeff, you’ll be missed. Gary

Attached Files: