Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration On Building.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 15, 2020.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm in the midst of not one, but two builds right now, our '52 DeSoto wagon, with (ahem) a non H.A.M.B. friendly engine, and a '29 Model A roadster with the 276 Hemi I yanked from the wagon. I'm 66 years old. I could afford, after a lifetime of working and saving, at this stage in my life, to simply buy whatever car and enjoy it as opposed to spending hours in the garage building one.
    Or two.
    So, why do it? Why spend a year or two of my life, when those years are numbered, building something that I could simply write a check for and and go for a ride in TODAY?
    That's a valid question, and one I've given much thought to.
    In the early part of my working life, I sold cars, and one of my salesman buddies had a poster on his office wall, that while it maybe didn't inspire confidence from his customers, summed up his, and my, philosophy pretty well. It was Garfield the cat, smirking at the viewer, and the caption, "It's not the having, it's the getting."
    The fun part for me is building something. Not that I don't enjoy driving them when they're done, in fact, the only reason we're building the DeSoto is that the '51 Pontiac wagon we'd had for over a decade was destroyed by an A-hole who didn't notice our turn signal and brake lights on as he talked on his cell phone and fiddled with the radio in his new F150. We'd still be driving it if not for that, rather than building another one, and I'd never have sold the '34 roadster.
    When I got the check from Hagerty for the wagon, I pretty quickly found I couldn't buy a car like that already done. At least to my taste. I decided I wanted an early '50's Chrysler or DeSoto wagon, because of the beautiful interiors and dashboards, and while I found some in my price range, they were tired originals, that would have needed, for what we do, towing our travel trailer and our car trailer, a complete rebuild and repower, and wouldn't have worked as is. I sold the '34 roadster I'd always wanted only because my wife and I were both spooked after what happened to the wagon, and the thought that we'd have been surely killed if it had been that 'glass bodied roadster we were in when hit from behind from a stop by some nitwit in a lifted 4 WD pickup at 50 mph.
    The simple answer is, as limited as my skill as a builder is, I wouldn't have been satisfied with something someone else built, or bought and flipped, to use. I want my fingerprints, and blood, on the build. I want to figure out how to stuff an engine that wasn't meant to be stuffed into whatever it is I want it in.
    I want to do it myself.
    I like the challenge of making dissimilar parts work together. I like ironing out 68 year old sheet metal, and making it look like I want it to look. I like doing things myself (even if it takes several "Do-Over's"), because there's pride in accomplishment, and seeing a vision in my head becoming reality. Because every problem is a challenge to overcome, and a task to be completed, and when the final problem is solved and the last obstacle is overcome, a car comes out of the shop where there had been a pile of parts before.
    I've chronicled several builds here. Maybe I've "overshared" some of the details, but I like, especially now when my buddies can't come over, to show off what's happening in the garage. The feedback from people here who know more, and have more refined skills than I, makes me take a second look at some things and take a different route. I'm old, but you can teach an old dog new tricks.
    So, bear with me, follow along if you like, or don't if you don't like what I'm building. 130721088_10225384019490086_9187680251247118020_o.jpg 127223903_10225224642825769_5973635634626096146_o.jpg The fun part is in the build. I've got a couple cars in me that need to come out, and I haven't forgotten the Thunderbird that, once again, got shoved into the back of the shop while I build something else.
    It's not the having, it's the getting.

2. I'm 70 and still enjoy the build although I have learned to work on one car at a time, my hat's off to you Brian being able to work on two projects at the same time. HRP

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m just 61, and I feel the same way, I like to do things my way. My wife’s OT Firebird for example, I like it, but don’t love it because I didn’t build it. My Lincoln on the other hand, I’m changing it from somebody else’s build to mine. Things I didn’t care for are getting changed. I love it when somebody asks me who built it and I can say I did. There’s just something about pride in workmanship, even if others are better at it than I am, it just helps me to do better.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No matter the challenge, occupation, or type of project, staying engaged, solving problems, working thru new ideas, learning new stuff, etc. is really what keeps you "alive" - living a creative life. There's Zen in art, motorcycle maintenance, baking pies or plumbing - as long as you are "into it."

mnjeff, mad mikey, 1959Nomad and 5 others like this.

5. Thumbs up to everyone who agrees with us. Meeee tooooo!

6. Thanks for the inspirational post. After buying a couple “done” cars although they were still cheap and then having to fix lots of stuff, it makes me question why I don’t just start with a major project. But, then I remember how I still have three kids at home and no time to do a project like that except with them. Anyway, once the kids are older and moved out, maybe I will get back to building more. Also, I enjoy all you share on your build threads. Watching others progress keeps me motivated and the details help us all learn from each other.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks man, stay tuned for the T'bird! :cool:

8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

There's really only one ? , is there anything you'd rather be doing ?

9. charlesf

charlesf

I’m of the same mind, Brian. I’m nearing the finish of my OT Mustang barn find as we speak. What I am learning is that at 72 it’s a lot farther down to the creeper, and back up again, than it used to be.
    Hopefully I’ll see you and the DeSoto at Hickory Corners next summer.

Chuck

10. millersgarage

millersgarage

midway thru my builds I always fall into that "why didn't i just buy one done?" depression.

I stop working on it, get mad. Then a while goes by, and I look at it some more, get excited, and go build again.

All while dreaming of the next build

11. Brian, hope you finish the wagon soon. I WANT TO SEE THE THING.;). And I " ain't " getting younger, young man.

Ben

mad mikey, flynbrian48 and Hnstray like this.
  12. Yea, I was considering heading up to the Detroit Autorama this year since I could go to it as well as seeing my little brother and his family. Since they moved it out this coming year, maybe you could take the wagon there? :D Seems like a reasonable deadline. :p Looks like that might be just a little over 2 hours drive for you and about 20 for me. By then, I should have most of the bugs worked out of my T-bird and maybe I could just drive it up... :cool:

chryslerfan55 and flynbrian48 like this.
  13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree, one does a lot of ciphering, visualizing, crafting sometimes tried and true and sometimes creative solutions while building a car. One of the reasons I have always loved building houses. You are a humble and very talented guy, there’s lots of us impressed by what goes on in your shop!

14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I'm with you. I just turned 63 and I have two projects. First is a long-term (stalled) '32 roadster. Second is a total rebuild of my '54 F100. When I bought it I knew this day would come. It just came sooner than I had planned. But yeah, I like to make stuff. I enjoy the planning and the actual cutting and fitting. I guess it is an artistic release.

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Me too, although honestly, there's no project on my mind right now. Except getting the cement done in the new barn. And I'd like to build a little "hang-out" building to prop my feet up in a leather chair in front of a stove and drink bourbon. And finish the yard. And maybe a boat...

I thought about setting that as a goal when I found it was pushed back to April, but realistically, it's too big a project, even as far along as it is, to get done enough to drive over. My goal is to have it in color by then, and get busy on the interior and have that done and the car ready for our camping and travel this summer. Which hopefully can happen this year.

Thanks. I look at some of the builds going on here, and honestly feel like I ought to go out, put the tools away, lock the door and walk away. The talent and skill of some of the people here just blows me away. I do what I can, although lately I have put a LOT of effort into getting my bodywork skills up to a level the less filler is required. :rolleyes:

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

It really is a great hobby! And as we get older, it keeps us (relatively) thinking, moving, enthused, and sometimes, actually happy! Once you stop moving and being interested in things you're gone!

Chicster, AndersF, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I can relate and look forward to the build. I follow HRP's moto of one at a time, but you have extenuating circumstances.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Very well put and mirrors my own thoughts. I'm 73, enjoy working, but have decided to reduce my involvement in my company (next Tuesday!) to start on my '32 Faux roadster. After that I'll do my other F-1 or my off topic TR-3 or maybe my John Deere MT. As I've said before, it's going to be a decent estate sale.

KevKo, flynbrian48 and guthriesmith like this.
  19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Building it yourself has many major advantages, You know exactly what went into the vehicle and it
    gets me out of sight of the better half, thus not being given more items on the honey do list.

20. mickeyc

mickeyc

You Sir do yourself an injustice stating your skills are limited.
    I have followed and enjoyed your posts and builds. Your skills
    are excellent. I also enjoy the build process very much. I am
    glad you stated about redoing something if not satisfied with
    the initial results. I will cut something out or off and start
    over as well. When some aspect of my efforts turn out as
    well as I wanted it gives me incentive to carry on. I do have
    more than one project on hand, but limit the work to one only.
    The others may become estate sale fodder as charleyw stated.

hotrodharry2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I just cut the body braces out of the rear of the roadster as the new deck lid didn’t fit. It was as if it were twisted and didn’t set flat in the body. The left corner was up over half an inch when the lip was flat on the bottom at the back.
    Turns out I had glasses and screwed the brace at that left upper corner to the new trunk floor to shape of the unbraced body.
    Which was at least half an inch sagged at that point. Sometimes it’s all about the do-over. IMG_2471.JPG IMG_2470.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. jim snow

jim snow

I also enjoy following your builds. I don’t have the skills or finances to take on such projects. Keep on. Snowman

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks guys!

24. I admire your attitude and skills Brian. I enjoy what you share with us very much sir. Carry on.:);)

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

I understand about component fitment in regards
    to one another. I am rebuilding a 40 Ford coupe. There is not a single panel or body part on this car that is not a compound
    curve or reverse or something similar. I have learned much
    regarding shaping and fitting panels, trunk lids, doors and such.
    I am close to final body work. Currently seeking a competent
    body man to come to my shop and do this work for me. Have
    had a few leads. I just dont have time to try and teach myself
    this skill. I have used turn buckles ratchet straps and other means to push, pull and retain things in place until they are
    welded in final position. quite an ordeal for a novice metal
    man. If I did not enjoy the process I would just hang it up
    go fish!

26. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, Brian. You and I are cut from almost the exact same piece of cloth. 66 years old, comfortably retired, like old cars, like to build our own, like bourbon, etc. etc. I like to drive my cars but building them is what really keeps me excited.

I have bought a couple of cars that were done by others and I either ended up taking them apart and rebuilding them (mechanically) to suit me or I just got rid of them. My Plymouth was built by me and I did everything except paint and upholstery. It is my favorite to drive because I built it just like I wanted it and I have sorted it completely out. The Buick is coming along nicely and I'm going to enjoy it when it's done because I built it just like I wanted it. Now, well before the Buick is finished, I'm already thinking about my next build and all the fabrication that will be required.

This hobby keeps me busy in retirement, keeps my mind sharp and I'm constantly learning new skills or refining the ones I already have. Hopefully, my health holds up and I can complete several more before my days are done. It truly is the getting that turns me on. I hope we can meet each other sometime after the world gets back to "normal".

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@flynbrian48 , you an inspiration for me. Hell, I named my roadster build after you a few years back! I wish we lived closer, I think we would be totally bad for each other. :cool: Keep with the builds and the motivation!

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ha! All due respect, I try to make my builds half as detailed and finished as well as yours! I’m out sanding a skim coat of Rage Gold I laid over places I thought I was done with yesterday, until I ran my hand over them this morning. Time was, I would have called them good and moved on. My sons Ranch Wagon has a rear door and quarter that I can’t even look at now after thinking it was good enough for white. It’s not, I’ll be doing those over this spring. Now that I have a lift, I can be a little fussier! IMG_1016.JPG

29. Nice post Brian. I agree that for many of us, the fun and enjoyment in the build is as much as also driving around. Working out how to fit the non-stock parts together and have a better than stock result. Just driving one of my hot rods around without going to a show puts a smile on my face. I do go to some show type events, but the drive there and being able to talk to others on their build details is what I like best. I am not a trophy whore, or get all upset if my car is not one of the chosen ones. Just not my game, don't need the ego stroke. Sure, it is nice when someone can appreciate the build I did.

chryslerfan55, jim snow and rockable like this.
  30. buford_59

buford_59

Brian, just two. I'm 70 and hoping I have two builds left in me. My '39 Buick sedan and then my '59 Buick wgn. The problem is I also have a 40's era tear-drop to restore (more like use it for patterns and start over from scratch) and a 16 ft. closed bow cedar strip run about to refresh. Problem is we also have a '53 Morris Minor convert to build for my grand daughter (11 years to go). Her dad and uncle will have to help with that. And then there's still the '59 Buick 2dr. sedan sitting in the field of dreams that needs to be done. My health (not major) has put everything on hold for awhile, but spring isn't to far away and this freakin' covid will subside and the snow will melt and the sun will shine. My point to this is that without these projects on the go and looking to the future projects keeps me going. I'm finally smart enough to realize DO ONLY ONE AT A TIME. I love driving and enjoy the build.
    I'm very envious of your DeSoto and have always admired your Pontiac and trailer combo. I'm a wagon guy with a '61 Rambler Cross Country also. My nick name is Wagon Master so yes I get excited about long roofs and have a least 14 or 15 in my past. Nice to see you're also building another roadster.