Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model a coupe measurements needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gigantor, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

Howdy - I'm attempting to reconstruct the rear half of my 30 Coupe and have hit some snags regarding measurements for sub floor and rear quarters. As mine are long-gone-rusty-dust, I'm hoping you guys to help me a bit with a few measurements. I've gotten a couple measurements from some generous folks on Facebook but they were off from each other by an inch or more, and looking at my own coupe I'm struggling to make ends meet. Literally.
    How long is a solid healthy quarter panel supposed to be from the B-pillar to the rear most corner?
    [​IMG]

Curious about your measurement on this too (also, not my subfloor, just a sample pic). I've got two differing measurements so far and it's hard to determine which is correct without knowing how long my quarter panel is supposed to be:
    [​IMG]

What I'm currently working with (and without):
    [​IMG]

Lil32 and brEad like this.
  2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Anyone with a coupe that can throw a tape on their rear quarter for me? I'd sure appreciate the assist.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

hello fellow mainer,
    pm me,
    my '30 coupe [avitar] has never been cut... rear floors are stepped... stock uncut decklid...
    welcome to cruise down to exit 75, i have a tape measure ... smitty

Lil32, wheeldog57, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Sounds like Smitty has you covered. Here's a diagram too. 30-31-Coupe-small.jpg

5. Watching as I know I’ll be needing this same info eventually when I start my A build.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

I went through something similar when we were trying to figure out the sub rail set-up for my coupe. Lots of other people's measurements didn't match. However, either Bratton's or Snyder's (or maybe Bert's... it's terrible I cannot remember) had the measurements that helped us out. I'd give one of them a call and see what they may have for you.

Gigantor likes this.
  7. modagger

modagger

If it would help, I can try to scrounge up a big enough piece of paper and trace my quarter all around at the reveal.

Gigantor likes this.
  8. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to give Smitty's measurements a shot and see where that gets me. I'm going to make something out of nothing and having a jumping off point is a big step in the right direction.

Lil32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

I'd be interested to know what you find for the B-pillar dimension. I just measured my 30 coupe body and the driver side is 49 3/4" and the pass side is 50 1/2". I know someone boogered the back corner together on my passenger side which will have to be redone.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

When I get home today I will measure up what I have and post here

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

my measurement was from b pillar to the back edge of the heavy cross rail... 52"...
    never hit TEXAS body...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. pitman

pitman

Where everything is. . .? ;)

brEad likes this.
  14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

20201216_162130.jpg 20201216_161942.jpg
    And the front of second subrail x member back to rear 51 3/4
    Hope this helps

pitman and Lil32 like this.
  15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yep, the plot thickens. When I eyeball the placement on where it looks like the rear subframe cross member should sit, I'm closer to 49 3/4" - 50".
    I know there were some pretty big fluctuations in the stamps and dies but that's a lot of difference! I might have to complete repairs on my quarters to find out where my particular sub-frame sweet spot is. Dammit.

16. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

I suppose when I'm 90 I won't be too even side to side either, heck I might be underground.
    On a good note my frame is dead nuts measuring diagonal front to back and within 1° level side to side !

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The more i think of it, because the rear bumpers mounted to the heavy rear cross rail if the car got rear ended it could transfer the force to the quarters through the H R C R ... and not dent them...
    If so, try your decklid ... if your body were hit the decklid may not arch as much as the quarters...
    trace a good fitting original lid and lower panel for a pattern / test...
    trim it so you can set it in the trunk gutters and compare it to your body...my $0.02.