Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '33 phaeton...model 40 guru's needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Dec 11, 2020.

1. I discovered the other day, that the front crossmember has four rivets in it I've not seen on any of my other 33/34's (several!) It appears to have an additional plate inside it and also looks factory to me. Any thoughts? I did have a'32 frame once that had bracing on the rear kick up's. A friend of mine told me it was a truck frame. That;s the first thing I thought when I saw these rivets. I will say this: the crossmembe is NOT cracked. It is very good! Tim 20201211_134448.jpg

2. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

This was the factory's answer to the problem of cracking front cross-members because of the horrible roads that they had to drive on. This was started in 1932 and more or less cured the problem.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen that on a 33-34 crossmember. But I also can't remember seeing the scallops around the front side clamp holes either. Can you take a pic from a little farther back?

Does the side rail have the running board holes in the sides? If not, it's probably a pickup frame.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Isn’t it an Australian phaeton, maybe something done specific for export.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and mgtstumpy like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The roads and highways down here haven't really improved since before then:mad:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. I haven't seen a prewar crossmember that didn't have a plate welded either inside, on top of or both as crack repair. Usually pretty crude. Never seen factory riveted.

7. Nope, it's not Aussie built

8. I'll check tomorrow

9. clem

clem

Late ‘32’s had the brace added, nothing to do with it being a truck frame. - Remedy for a design fault.

timwhit and X38 like this.
  10. Alchemy: Here's a different angle pic of the cross member. I didn't pay any attention to the "scalloped" work untill you said something. 20201215_123632_Burst01.jpg

11. alchemy

alchemy

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/33-5w-build-thread.1127212/page-7

I guess the scallops do show a little on some other crossmembers, just seemed to me that yours were more pronounced. But again, I've never seen the riveted stiffener plate before on a 33 crossmember.

Don't forget to check the sides of your rails for the runningboard mounting holes. Unless maybe the runningboards are already bolted in place?

12. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_5571.jpg

I found a pic of a 34 pickup with a stiffener riveted in the crossmember. But it's front edge is more like I remember, with a rolled edge. Have you checked the side rails for the proper runningboard holes yet?

X38 and kidcampbell71 like this.