Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the alternative?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 14, 2020.

1. With Gary's recent post hinting that Walker Radiator's will be closing the door's, is there another manufacture able to step in a offer a original replacement style copper/brass radiator.

I am well aware of all the off shore aluminum radiators available but I would rather use the copper/brass because of the longevity of the product. HRP

Lil32, 3W JOHN, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  2. As far as Aluminum, the best ones I have touched come from Brice Thomas in Gadsden Al.
    They are advertising copper/brass now.
    Haven’t used one of those yet. The product looks good.

here is an e-bay link for their store
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bricethomasradiator

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Alternative name other than Walker in the works?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think Brassworks and US radiator both have a good reputation.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, us radiator, I have on of their desert coolers in my Impala, trouble free for 35 years. they have a full line of hot rod radiators for old fords just like walker had.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ this--have used a few US radiators in 40's-no issues-working fine after a few years in several

7. Is Harrison still in business? I like them real well.

Unlike most here I still scrounge things like radiators. I have been known to pilfer one even though i did not need it just in case. I don't always have an original '37 Ford but I may just have one that will look close enough and work. ;)

Scrounging, our end will be a lot like our beginning.

62rebel, 3W JOHN, trollst and 7 others like this.
  8. Are US Radiators and Brice Thomas the same?
    The FB pages have a lot of the same content and products

9. I won a US Radiator at the first Goodguys in Charlotte, N.C. and at that time I ordered one for my 1929 Hiboy roadster that I was building on Deuce rails, the old Magoo style using a chopped down deuce radiator shell but sold the car before I ever drove it.

I heard they were a good product. HRP

3W JOHN, mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have used US Radiator a couple of times... One in my ole Dodge pickup and one in my hotrod....Cooled my pickup but didn't cool my blown hemi hotrod....Ended up having an aluminum one made at TCP products in Rexburg ID...It worked fine...

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

IIRC, the thread on Walker closing had a couple pf posts about Brice Thomas purchasing the US Radiator equipment and inventory and moving it to his shop.

12. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brassworks is also an Alliance Vendor. I have one that Lee made for me and they are a great radiator. Build time was a little long but worth it in the long run.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never ran one, but I looked at a Brice Thomas unit a few years back at a show. Looked very well built. Talked to the guy a bit, seemed to know his stuff on old cars. I think I still have his card somewhere...

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and mad mikey like this.
  14. deucemac

deucemac

I have a Brassworks radiator in my roadster and it performs perfectly. Engine runs 180 and even in 108 degrees, only ran 195. I used to dealer for US Radiator for several years, have one in my El Camino since 1993, still working great. Never had a comeback or problem with them either. Both good products, although Brassworks has lots more early car radiators available.

15. Brass Works built a terrific radiator for my son's Model A. Sectioned 4", brass/copper. Price was the same as Walker, delivery was 4 weeks, quality is top notch........no issues for the past 26 years.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brassworks radiator in-front of my flathead. I wouldn't even know that flatheads had a cooling problem if I hadn't read it on the HAMB :cool:

3W JOHN, Tman, HOTRODPRIMER and 4 others like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

As I mentioned in the previous thread, Don's Radiator in Canada 1-866-999-6645. He builds them out of copper/brass and also sells flathead speed equipment.

18. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used a US radiator, and was very happy. Fit perfect and did 100,000 miles in ten years. Sold the truck 25 years ago, and the new owner (25 years new) is still happy.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and mad mikey like this.
  19. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I called Brassworks when traveling through CA and they had a Model A radiator ready for me the next day. They even had to alter it to put a pressure fill cap on the inside. Its performed perfectly for the past 6 plus years. Nice people.

20. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a Brassworks in my '39 p/u with an 8ba. Lee worked with me to make sure the 4 row would fit and modified the upper tank since I was running an 8ba and not a stocker. Nothing but praise for the product and service. Only down side there was a 7-8 week wait which I'm sure is longer now.

21. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Bought a Brass Works for my ‘33 Victoria years ago, and bought a U.S. Radiator in my Cyclone. I purposely avoided Walker both times.

MMM1693, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think mine is a Custom Auto Radiator , I think NJ . But it was been 28 years since I purchased it

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I spoke with Brookville roadster recently, they are a Walker dealer. They said that Walkers production had stopped but didn’t know for how long. Just before the announcement of Walker closing. Brookville was working on dealing with Custom Auto Radiator out of New Jersey. I just ordered thru Brassworks for my coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Budget36

Budget36

I recall @racer-x mentioning a place in the Midwest that was pretty good.

25. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Brassworks build a very high quality radiator, maybe the best in the business right now. Another alternative not already mentioned would be Mac's Radiator out west with locations mainly in Oregon and Idaho. They can build custom radiators out of brass or aluminum. I know they build radiators for the trucking industry as well as general automotive radiator service.
    Closer to home for me anyway, would be BS & B radiator in London Ontario Canada. They can build an excellent quality custom radiator as well, and have a good reputation with the hot rod guys in that area.
    Walker radiator had wonderful reputation and was probably the business of choice when it came time to purchase a new radiator for your hot rod. There are other alternatives out there and I guess we are going to have to source out some of the lesser known custom radiator shops and give them a chance to see what they can do, now that Walker radiator is gone.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I've used CARS (Custom Auto Radiator Service) in NJ quite a few times, and they custom make the radiator to your specs. Many options. They even duplicated a 34 Terraplane one for me, but with the modern stuff (trans cooler, built in condenser, temp bungs), While the mounts didn't look perfectly stock, it didn't matter, they fit right into the original location.

27. I have used a Connecticut Radiator shop to re-core one of my 32 's with great results. Some good old Radiator shops still out there.

28. We have a old school radiator shop here in Anderson, but in a case where you need a radiator for a car where you don't have the tanks your kinda up the creek. HRP

29. bchctybob

bchctybob

I tried to use our local radiator shop when I needed to recore the radiator in my ‘55 F100, thinking I’d like to support our local businesses. He acted like a swaggering dickhead and quoted me a price that was similar to the price of a new Walker. So I drove to Sacramento and bought a Walker from Sac Vintage Ford. I see he has since gone out of business, imagine that.
    These are tough times for many businesses. I’m sure that for many business owners who have been at it for years and have thought about retiring the current circumstances have made the decision easier.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One thing that might hold up the sale of Walker could be lead pollution in the building. You know as long as they have been in the same buildings using lead solder it has to be everywhere. They might not even be able to sell the property or the fixtures until EPA certifies that it’s safe, which the cleanup could run into the millions of dollars, maybe even more than the value of everything.

hotrodA, 3W JOHN, Tman and 2 others like this.