Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Did you learn to drive a stick or a automatic?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Stick, Automatics are for racing!!!

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was 13 or 14 I learned to drive in an International R220 truck tractor with a 5 speed main and a 3 speed auxiliary trans. Been shifting gears ever since.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

I learned on a stick. 1961 Valiant, slant six, three speed ON THE FLOOR! Chirp, chirp, voom!

I sure would like to have that truck!
    What a beauty!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Straight Shift on the column.

Lil32 likes this.
  5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Dad’s car was a Three on the tree, my first car was a Hurst floor shifted 3-speed (with a broken shift fork - my first trans repair:). Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32 likes this.
  6. KenC

KenC

Started in '58 with my Dad's 54 Dodge baby Hemi, Powerflite. Then 58 Ford 332, 3 on the tree driver's ed car. Just for a few weeks until our 59, 352 Cruise-o-matic arrived. My first one was a 46 Chev babbitt beater with standard of course. Was a long time before I got back into an automatic.

Lil32 likes this.
  7. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I learned to drive on dirt bikes. My first car drive (besides on a lap) was my brother's '65 MGB (manual). He went off for a weekend and I went off in his car. I was probably 14-15. I never even thought of the stick. It was pretty much the same game as the bikes. I didn't have my first automatic 'till I was 40. Same with my first drive in a right hand drive car. Never gave it a moment's thought. Just got in and drove. I was probably 20 minutes in before it occurred to me that everything was ass-backwards. Mike

8. 4tford

4tford

54 chevy 3 on the tree my brothers car

9. Ziggster

Ziggster

Learned on my dad’s 69 T-Bird with a 429 ThunderJet torque monster, and my grandma’s 68 Beetle. Had to tame the lead foot on my dad’s car as I would lay rubber from a stop too often. Lol!

Budget36 likes this.
  10. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Manual transmission; an old Chevy pickup

11. 34Larry

34Larry

Hi school drivers ed. '55 Chev. more door 235 six with a Stick. Three students. Two silly laughing young ladies, me and the instructor who was also my Algebra 6th period teacher who was of the gay persuasion, Mr. Sealy. Never "got the gist" of Algebra but did "get" the gist of using a clutch and the "H" of selecting gears. The lovelies never did "get it", and ended up driving "power slides" to school.
    I traded a trumpet and a month of yard clean up for a 1947 Keiser stick for the final couple of years.
    [​IMG]
    Ahhhhh what a beauty. Some wax, elbow grease, some wide white slap walls, painted the wheels red with a brush, no hubcaps, flat head 6 Continental, doors with buttons inside instead of handles making it confusing to the young lovelies to exit. I tell ya she was the envy of every red blooded hormone confused teenage boy in the school..............................................................................Right:rolleyes:

Budget36 and Lil32 like this.
  12. still learning!

Attached Files:

Lil32 likes this.
  13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1943 HOME INGLEWOOD.jpg 1941Buick stick.

Dean Lowe and Lil32 like this.
  14. spanners

spanners

Learnt to drive stick when my father was caretaker of local sports fields. I'd drive around the fields slowly while my Dad would shovel lawn topdress onto bald spots of grass. After a while decided to have a go at changing gears (3 on the tree EJ Holden) but Dad stopped that because I was driving too quick for him to stand in the trailer.
    Used to work after school for my father and ended up delivering customer's cars after hours(14 year old).
    I'm now 63, retired truck driver and just did some tipper work during the local grain harvest. Once the locals found out I could handle an 18 speed Roadranger gearbox I got besieged with job offers because the young'ens can't drive stick. I've been offered work driving a concrete agitator but I knocked it back because the truck is an auto. My name is Spanners and I'm a gear jammer.

Budget36 likes this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

1949 Dodge 3 on the tree with fluid drive without my parents knowledge! :rolleyes:

16. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

Started on a Wheel Horse when I was about 8, next was an International Cub, by the time I was 11 or 12 I graduated to the Esso station's shop truck. In fact, I own that same truck today.

Lou Manglass

17. Hop2it

Hop2it

1950 ford convertible 3 speed column shift

18. rtp

rtp

1955 Chevy 2 ton flat bed dump farm truck with way to many square hay bales or 5 tons of corn saliage ,don't really remember . I was probably 8 or 9 years old.
    That was long ago. Had 2 brothers and a couple of cousins we all learned to drive in that truck. By the time we were old enough to leagely drive it was worn out . This was in the late 60s early 70s.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Yes, I learned to drive an automatic or a stick.

Montana1 likes this.
  20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Local GM car, 3 on the tree

21. clem

clem

my kids were 22 & 29 when you wrote this, both learned to drive around 14 years old, and manual transmission. I didn’t see the point in them having an automatic only license.....
    Cars, - I learn’t to drive a manual and got licence at 15.
    first vehicle I drove by myself was a Ford 4000 selectamatic tractor. Neither manual or automatic, kind of a cross between the two. I was 6 years old.
    Yesterday I saw a boy about 9-10 driving a tractor and mower by himself, - very confidently, I may add, but something you just don’t see anymore. Gave me quite a scare, until I thought back to when I was young and doing exactly the same thing.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020