Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration So if you change the head and the handle, is it still grandpas hammer ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Question for the lot if you. Scrolling my local classic car classifieds I found an add for a stunning creation. It’s a fibre glass body heavily modified on a custom frame with modern everything “rare 1937 Lincoln Zephyr “
    I’m not knocking the car or the builder but it’s not a Lincoln zephyr! Or is it ?

there is nothing original or even Lincoln based on this car , it’s a “ creation”

so my question is , when you build a one off a totally “new” car from new parts can it still truly be called a ..... original whatever? Or should it be like the movies “ based on true events ?”
    I dunno something I’m pondering on this wet n rainy Saturday.

2. It only matters to the owner.

maybe the DMV

LOU WELLS, Cosmo50, fauj and 5 others like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its not a REAL whatever if it was totally created from new parts, IMO. Its not a REAL 32 Ford, 57 Chevy, Zephyr or whatever. As you said, its a creation and thats ok. Just call it what it is.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

OK,I'm board anyway,an it's rain here right now.
    So if grandads hammer had a rotted out handle by the time you got! say you replaced handle with as near the same as you could=It's still Grandads hammer to you. Years go by ,an some how the Gramp's hammer head gets broken,you love it,so find another hammer good head like the old one. You still think of it as Grandpa's hammer=that is grandpap's hammer< don't matter what those think that have no idea about history anyway ! Bottom line is,who owns it,an how they think.

48fordnut, mgtstumpy, kaspar and 7 others like this.

5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

It’s not an original.
    But using the name of what it looks like is ok.

I have a cobra. It’s not an original. It is a fibreglass body on a tube chassis. The oldest part is 1987. It’s acceptable to call it a cobra, it’s misleading to call it an original anything.

My CountrySquire is not original, although it was originally an original country squire. It has a ‘57 Y block and disk brakes so it’s not original, but it is still a Country Squire. If I made it in to a convertible or a Ute I probably wouldn’t call it a Country Squire anymore.

I always laugh at adds where the seller doesn’t know the difference.
    “It’s an original, barn find, fully restored, survivor custom”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Budget36

Budget36

Don’t get me started on “restored”. Lol. 1931 “xxxxxx” fully restored, new SBC, disc brakes, etc.

hotrodjack33, Hnstray, WB69 and 5 others like this.
  7. 270ci

270ci

I've seen those so called Zephyrs too. They are what they are..... "modern re-creations". Except for the basic profile maybe, there's very little Zephyr there.

mad mikey, rockable and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My "Grandpa's Hammer" is a small all steel ball-peen that has had nothing replaced. BTW, I don't know how many generations it goes back, as my dad said he got it from his father who also called it "Grandpa's Hammer".

It is also a very useful tool.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. 2650FFCA-BAC8-410F-9771-6AE78ED907BA.jpeg

I present you The screwpipehammeratchet !! @DDDenny

11. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's with all this talk about Grabthar's hammer?
    G-hammer.jpg

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Rare" in the lead sentence of any add automatically says the seller wants more money for something than common sense says it is worth.
    I looked at one of those "rare" fiberglass Zephyrs at Goodguys in Puyallup about 25 years ago, Body and rolling chassis that the sales dude made me a real friendly offer on on Sunday afternoon so he wouldn't have to load it back in his trailer. I didn't have the money and looking back it was a good thing. I'd say that the car has changed hands a few times and has somewhat lost it's identity as to who built and sold the glass body.

In other news, I was thinking a while back and the only original 48 Chev 3100 parts that were actually on my 48 when I bought it in 1973 are the left front fender Inner fenders, core support and back side of the grill. Everything else on the truck has been changed at least once and some parts have been changed two or three times.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

Squablow, R A Wrench, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That was kinda one of my old jokes around the shop, as I have some old tools! I would tell guys “I’ve had this hammer for forty years and only replaced the handle twice and head once! “

Bones

15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I like the cobra reference. It's a kit car, but you still call it a cobra. The name is just reference to what it's replicating. Anyone in the know is aware when they see a cobra there's a 99.9% chance it's a kit car, but still a cobra. Some of these cobra kits drive better than the originals from what I've heard....

Kan Kustom, Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. trollst

trollst

Yes, and, no, my 36 was a bellingham washington airport fire truck till I got it. Absolutely beautiful, hangar kept, something to see, but now....its a really nice, fast hot rod. Is it still a 36 ford? All of you would say so if you saw it, but.....51 ford p/u frame, later suspension, home made box, 327-350, 8.8 rear, clearly it is not a 36 ford. But....the only way to identify it is to call it a 36 ford, so....it is.
    Yes, even with a new handle, its still your grandpas hammer, cause he would have fixed the handle, and other than that, there's no way to describe that hammers significance to you.

17. @Mr48chev i couldn’t agree more with the “rare” “one of xxx made “ “ only one in the country “

you see it a lot with European cars the fake “ special edition cars” Jaguar “diamond jubilee”
    BMW “lemans edition “ etc.

fake bs to hopefully hook a dumb ass with money and take it from them.

I love the guys with a clamped out ‘79 amc matador and calling it a rare one of one optioned car 1 year only ( it was an ugly hunk of fake wood grained shit new, it could not if possibly gotten better!)

but I disagree with your 48 Chevy if the parts where replaced with oem parts or original aftermarket part ( ok that’s an oxymoron but I think you know what I’m saying ) then to me anyways it’s still a 48 Chevy at least that’s the way I see it.

starting with a brand new something not even built or looking like the original but calling it one does not seem right ,

an AC Cobra kit car is cool, some of the higher end aluminum and steel bodied ones or the better built fibre glass ones are freaking fantastic, but again everyone I’ve seen in person or for sale has always been advertised as a AC Cobra kit . No lies no deception no shadiness.

advertising a fibreglass car with a custom built everything as a xxx brand and model just seems wrong.

even the brooklands fords are advertised as such “ steel brooklands ford “ stating it’s a “creation “ of a ford product . No issues with that.

I dunno I need a beer, I’ll be back.

18. Same here, I need a beer . My brain hurts. :eek:;)

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

I know a local guy with a "'32 Ford woodie wagon" that won a "Best '32" at a major west coast show (thousands of cars). There is not a SINGLE original 1932 Ford part on it. Nothing. Hercules bodied. SBC powered. It's as fake as fake can be, but he's got the award to prove to himself that he's got a deuce :rolleyes:

20. grumpy65

grumpy65

To me, words like 'tribute' and 'homage' spring to mind, and that in itself says it all.
    It's all ok, as long as deception is not involved.

21. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

That’s good!
    I took my fibreglass cobra to a car show and came second in class, an “real” Shelby cobra came 3rd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. It is a 32.
    Even though it’s not Henry, it’s a 32.
    No one owns the number 32.

23. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Yeah but calling it a 1996 "whatchamacallit" might hurt resale value. Besides what do you call a Brookfield roadster on a Pete and Jakes chassis with a crate 350, overdrive trans and Currie rear end built in 2001??? It is what it is. If a person likes the car than buy it if not don't;) By the way those glass Zephyr's started out as Deco Rides base on Terry Cooks "Scrape" which started out as a rotted out 37 coupe dropped over a Chevy Caprice chassis and was highly modified and very little of the original car remained . So what was it?? Larry

24. grumpy65

grumpy65

I would call it COOL !!!!
    'Nuff said. :D:D:D

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cars and People claim to be a lot of things they are NOT. Welcome to the new world of 2021. Bob

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have my original "T"-bucket (now undergoing a complete reconstruction) that I built in the early '60's and I registered in 1965 as a "Homebuilt".

Does a 55 year old "Homebuilt" have any panache'?

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The ad said "Rare 1937 Lincoln Zephyr," correct? It didn't say original, restored or anything else? So I would say it is accurate, as I am sure the 'glass Zephyrs are also pretty rare, even though they are customized reproductions.

More on the Ship of Theseus and Grandpa's Axe:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

28. grumpy65

grumpy65

panache
    /pəˈnaʃ/
    HISTORICAL
    a tuft or plume of feathers, especially as a headdress or on a helmet.

I guess you could add feathers if you wanted to ??? :confused::confused::confused:

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.

29. That right there is logic........... I need another beer

30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What was the number 1 Definition?

Hnstray likes this.