Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Walker Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If I wanted a Walker radiator I'd try ordering one from Speedway, they have carried a large inventory

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just ordered one from Speedway-US radiator is good too but they were bought out by someone back east I recall.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad news, Plus a big loss to the hot rod community.

My go to auto electrical / starter/ generator alternator shop just folded because the owner's son wasn't capable of running the business and the owner couldn't find a buyer.

olscrounger likes this.
  5. slug

slug

Krylon I can't believe he treated his dealers that way with no prior heads up. I can see at some point he would have said I won't be accepting any more orders after such and such date so he would have time to work the orders off. Oh well sometime things don't surprise me at all.

6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hate to hear it.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. cs39ford

cs39ford

Very sad news. Great product had mine since 1990. Will be a big loss

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Slug: We actually got an e-mail about 2 months ago that because of C19 and staffing problems they were taking no orders at that time. Now this? I would have bought a few for stock.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quality shops shut the doors and no one seems to step up to open a new shop to fill the void.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Just bought one for the 37 a few months ago. Planning on installing it this weekend. Sad news.

11. that’s exactly what I thought too. Just went to Speedways web site to see about getting one for my 32. They have a walker for their 32 lo boy kit and several funky ones in the garage sale section. That’s it.

12. Yep, it’s sad but true.
    Been hearing rumors for a while.
    88 years in business.

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Anyone have a Walker for a '36 ford, guess I won't be picky about outlet locations.......................

Stogy likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

From my personal experience over the years I can unequivocally state that there is not much around that comes close to equaling the fit and quality of these products. I was fortunate to buy one of these and trim from Le Baron Bonney before it also closed its doors. Sad to see them both go.

15. sfowler

sfowler

It was sure a great run for WALKER RADIATOR and all of us home based Hot Rod builders . so so sorry to see them go . At 74 years old i guess my builds will end sometime as well . MANY MANY THANKS TO THE WALKER FAMILY

16. Sad news indeed. I installed a Walker in my 34 years ago, and it served me well. Market forces and other factors are putting a lot of domestic manufacturers out of business.

17. I also would like to thank the Walker family for their fine products and services over the years . Wish them all the best.

18. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

Got the e-mail last night. Very sad.

lothiandon1940 and mad mikey like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Don't know why anyone is bitching.
    Plenty of posts about how great rockauto,speedway or eBay is because of pricing.
    Keep buying that cheap Chinese shit but don't whine when another American built product goes down the tubes because you weren't buying from them anyway.
    Rant over.

20. That is sad news for our hobby/passion/industry. Walker has been one of the anchor manufacturers and the Gold Standard for quality products we could depend on. I am sure this decision was a very difficult one for them to come to.
    Another premier supplier and the wealth of knowledge and experience that they shared with their Customers is gone.
    Thank You and All the Best in the future to the Walker family and their employees.

21. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Man I was on the fence about spending the money on one, but I bit the bullet in October. Now I'm really glad I got one when I did.

22. 41woodie

41woodie

AMEN!

23. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know the reason(s) behind Walker closing but I do know that when I ordered the radiator for my p/u from Brassworks the lead time was 7-8 weeks. When I picked it up Lee told me the lead time was so long because he couldn't find quality/skilled help. Maybe that's the case for Walker, or maybe not.

24. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

A sad day!
    Many hot rod shops closing?
    A sign of the times, I guess?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. fortynut

fortynut

I grew up in and around Memphis and have used Walker products myself. And, yes, they are/and will have been next to Sun Records --- another of those storied institutions in the Bluff City. That they are ceasing operations is truly one of those moments that will change how a lot of us solve our cooling problems. My suggestion is this, and you'll have to look carefully to find radiator shops who will oblige you in doing it, BUT it is possible, if your tanks are not damaged, to have a radiator re-cored. Make damn sure the shop is reputable and has someone who has experience in doing that. Also, check around to see if you can find anyone who has this work done before and see what their experience has been. I've had a couple of radiators done that way; one with a staggered four core Desert type configuration for a built small block Chevy in a '57 Pickup with no overheating, or leaks. Another one of those situations where Hot Rodders have to fall back on ingenuity. Sad that Walker is going away. I'm sure there's a story there with some sad notes in it. As when there is a death in the family, my condolences to both management and employees. May God Bless You All in you future endeavors. Walker Radiator will be both remembered and mourned, as it represented American Know How at its best --- something built to the highest standards and built with pride.

26. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Their quality and service was second to none. If you give a little thought those guys are pretty old. I met Vernon in the mid 70s when hanging with the Memphis Street Rods group. He is about the same age as me (rushing up on 74), maybe older, and his siblings are probably close as well. I can understand getting out of the business, I can understand the virus impacting his production. I have serious doubts that the "imports" had a very serious impact on their decision to close shop. His company was very diversified and a single produce dropping off would not impact overall profits. I also understand the hesitation to give the name to anyone else.

Brice (CR&J) bought US Radiator and is/was in the process of moving them to the Gadsden area. Their stuff is top notch, both the aluminum and copper/brass, and the owners/managers are dedicated to helping and working with hot rodders personally to ensure their product satisfies the needs they have.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Guys I know it stinks about Walker, but dont just skip past @Halfdozens post about a Family owned quality operation that is still in bussiness. Save the info and give them a try and report back here. Perhaps we can help avoid losing another quality product to China by supporting the ones that are STILL HERE. At the end of the day if we dont put our money where our mouth is this trend will continue.

28. slug

slug

I have used Walker on all of my past builds which is only about 8 or so but they were always the best in my book. More expensive but worth the money. They built one for my 50 Olds using my original as a pattern and transferred my shroud to their radiator. Like has been said earlier we need to support the folks who are still left making it in the good ole USA. Otherwise we can only choose imported junk like you find at all the big box stores. Might be easier to understand if we knew the story behind their decision. But that's their business. Just my two cents.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

we all have to do what we have to do - Thanks to Walker for helping out the automotive world for so long with a top quality product