Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Salvaging spray cans of paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralphies54, Nov 19, 2016.

1. I forgot, as a kid, I used to open up old spray cans with screw drivers for the marbles. They were usually just clear ones while every now and the then there would be a green or a grey one.
    I'm going have to try that again.

seb fontana likes this.
  2. I remember as a kid we'd take a spray can and light a match to it and press the nozzle. WHOA! :eek::D

I often wonder how we got so old! :)

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I used to work with a guy who won 100 million. About 60 million after taxes.

4. ...when my brother and I were kids, we'd pour a little gas on the ground, set empty or almost empty paint cans in the gas and light the gas on fire, ..stand back and watch em blow up,...did a whole bunch of these back behind the barn that was painted white,..when we got done the whole back wall of the barn was splattered with all colors of paint,..had to get the white house paint out and paint the barn before our folks got home..lot's of fun....lol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    clem, Montana1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  5. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

Anyone ever find the elusive red marble?

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^they were always in the red can of paint before you cleaned it^^^^^

7. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

No...Cannot say that I have.

5window likes this.
  8. Mimilan

Mimilan

This is so shameful to read.............A bunch of grown [maybe immature] men talking about marbles :p
    The thread is about:
    "SALVAGING SPRAY CANS OF PAINT"

you can easily Re-pressurize an aerosol can [which is what I expected practical H.A.M.Bers to do]

here's how to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=153&v=mimSDtqljMA&feature=emb_title

Gas struts are the same.......they are easily Upped in pressure [more difficult to lower pressure]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    jungle_josh likes this.
  9. Be careful Ralphie you'll shoot your eye out!

Ralphies54 likes this.
  10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Not deep red-colored marbles anyway. Most were either clear or very lightly shaded/streaked. Besides, since I've grown shorter and less immature, I'm not much into marbles any more. But more into finding the equally elusive marble-sized steel ball bearings. These have shown up on rare occasions. So I'm forced to keep looking for those big ball bearings even if deep garnet-colored marbles don't exist. Jack E/NJ

11. This is a really strange thread. Why not just go and spend the $5 or so for a new one? Any time that I try to fix something cheap it ends up costing me more money!

My marbles are more of a natural flesh color....

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. indyjps

indyjps

Didn't read the whole 5 pages.

1) Go to the gas station and get a 32oz or larger soda to take a break, cause all 8 of your spray cans dont F'in work
    2) double the cup when you buy the drink
    3) take the extra 32 oz cup, slide it over the can
    4) drive a framing nail slowly into the side of the can thru the 32 oz cup, towards the bottom, wiggle the nail to slowly release the pressure.
    5) congratulate yourself for salvaging shitty aerosol paint.

Brush it on whatever you need, realize the brush cost more than a can of paint.

Put a sheetmetal screw in the nail hole and save it. I have 4 cans going currently.

13. Slopok

Slopok

I believe you guys have all lost your marbles!o_O:eek:;):rolleyes:

Deuces, jungle_josh and seb fontana like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marbles? Oh brother.
    Pigeons? Now there's a fascinating topic!

15. deadbeat

deadbeat

I just resigned from a paint shop where I would probably make about 300 plus cans a week for touch ups and custom colors . I would put roughly 100 grams of paint into a spray can that already has solvent in it by using pressure. As mentioned a small hole in the top then a bigger one etc.

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've taken a large socket 1"- 1 1/8' placed the open end over the nozzle and whacked it hard with a hammer . This lowers the top of the spray can and nozzle tube down to the bottom of the spray can . it helps pick up a little more paint. Then I punch a hole in the can and salvage the marble.

Beanscoot and Retterath like this.
  17. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Pigeons? Particularly racing pigeons. Fun, but hard to get the helmet and goggles on them.

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. clem

clem

Apparently it is, 5 pages and 4 years running, - this thread.......

Okie Pete and Ralphies54 like this.
  19. Hahahahaha.... brilliant!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete and clem like this.
  20. jungle_josh

jungle_josh

BUMP back to the top

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I ordered a case of Duplicolor gloss black engine enamel spray paint. I like it for painting suspension components as much or more than engines. So I got the case open, and began painting rear axle, springs, etc., etc., and eventually get to the 3rd can in the case and pop the cap off. The frigging spray nozzle is broken off.
    Now I think, hey I've got two empties here, but when I try to pull the nozzles off they don't come off? I then try to dink around with getting the broken stub out, and it wont come out either. Frustrated, I toss it on a shelf, and move on to another can. But eventually I use up 5 cans of gloss black, and I'm eyeballing the broken nozzle can again.
    So now every few days I stare at it, and wonder how I can make use of a full can of paint with no nozzle? Still don't want to just toss it, and anything else seems like a waste if I can't use all that paint as soon as it's out of the can.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And then I save the nozzle tube for brake clean extensions, and the nozzle, and I use the bottom of the can to mix epoxy. Then I throw the can at the neighbors cat.

23. Deuces

Deuces

pissypussy.gif

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve pierced the tops with awl to let out the propellant. I bought a dozen clear glass 2 and 4 oz bottles on line from Amazon and use the paint with a brush. Will hard up after a while.,

25. Deuces

Deuces

Add little lacquer thinner in there.... It even works with enamels....

26. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

to get the paint out of the can, i just build a fire, throw the can in fire and RUN, paint will come out....

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Throw in stream and shoot with 22

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pay for shipping and I`ll send you 48 empty spray cans of flat black paint. There`s a little left in each one.

Okie Pete likes this.